Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2019, 04:20 AM   #16126
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Five minute job with Gimp
And remember law of basic optics -- A ray running through the centre of a lens is undeviated by the lens.

EDIT and just checked that - according to the reviews a 50mm has a horizontal fov of 40 degrees on FF ---- tan 20 x 4 (d) x 2 = 2.9metres (w) - so 48mm fl would be about right for 3 metres.

Attached Images

Last edited by GUB; 07-25-2019 at 04:33 AM.
07-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #16127
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And this gets real simple if you are using it for a given sensor and not comparing sensors. Gauge how far away your subject is, divide by the width of the required view and multiply by 24 for apsc. so a one metre view 2 metres away = 2x24 = 48mm.
07-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #16128
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Goes and checks google earth...

1327m away, required width of 845m to fit it all in left to right.

Yes APS-C (K-3)

So 1327/845 * 24?
= 37.6

So a 35mm will definitely fit it all in.

And more importantly for me, I feel comfortable packing just the 16-85mm lens, rather than packing in the 55-300.
A target of 37mm sits nicely in the middle of the 16-85 range, so allows for some leeway.

Thanks!
07-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #16129
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Goes and checks google earth...

1327m away, required width of 845m to fit it all in left to right.

Yes APS-C (K-3)

So 1327/845 * 24?
= 37.6

So a 35mm will definitely fit it all in.

And more importantly for me, I feel comfortable packing just the 16-85mm lens, rather than packing in the 55-300.
A target of 37mm sits nicely in the middle of the 16-85 range, so allows for some leeway.

Thanks!
Yes - I was amazed how simple it was.

07-25-2019, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #16130
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
That kinda depends on the definition of "original." In the time Dad and his mates owned it, it was in the cream and international orange you can see in the photo on my page (and infer in the black and white shot). But originally, it was G-ADLU belonging to the London Aeroplane Club and I'm not sure what their scheme was (I suspect silver), then NZ735 with the RNZAF (when it would have been mostly yellow). I've seen a pic of when it first became ZK-ARJ and it was essentially just the RNZAF scheme with the civil registration added. I'm not sure which owner painted it into the cream and orange, but I am pretty sure it was Cliff Bellingham who gave it essentially the scheme it has today after the rebuild from 1979. While speaking to the current owner, Russ, he mentioned he had "expunged" the green bits which were not to his taste — the mainplane struts at least were a bright green.

Here's a small pic of a "repaint" my brother did in Microsoft Flight Simulator in the cream and orange. Can't find the full sized one at this stage.
Interesting. What a history!
07-25-2019, 10:45 PM - 2 Likes   #16131
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Crikey! A bloke takes a bit of a break and you lot all start discussing nuclear physics. Err, pixel shift and dof, at least.

I've tried a few PS images with the KP and although I have no comparison shots, I feel they do exhibit a crispness beyond what I would normally expect. I guess the results will depend heavily on lens choice and configuration, too.

I've just got back from a bit of a road trip (1530km or so in 6 days) and while the KP did get a few outings, an iPhone was appropriate for this particular meeting. Due to circumstances and weather, it wasn't going to be a "photo shoot" kind of visit. Nevertheless, evidence was recorded by my wife. For those unaware/interested, this aircraft has a very special significance for me (hence my online handle which I've been using for about 20 years now).
Quite a few planes are named after their makers, but not too many people are named after planes!
07-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #16132
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Seeing as someone else has started a trend of posting images of things relating to their name, I thought I might make a contribution.

Mount Cookson bears the family surname, but I'm not sure if it's named after anyone related or not, as they seemed to be pretty prolific in North Canterbury in the mid 19th Century.

From the Inland Kaikōura road, the mountain doesn't look that interesting, and is pretty flat topped with no clearly defined peak, however Dad got permission a few years back to go onto the private land it's on, and up close it's pretty spectacular with limestone sink holes, and pancake rocks. Think Punakaiki, but in the middle of dry North Canterbury, nowhere near the sea.

I have actually got some images of the pancake rocks of Mount Cookson, but they were taken back with my Pentax P50 film camera, although I have scanned them from the negatives. This is a recent one from the K-70.

08-02-2019, 03:45 AM   #16133
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry Chris you copped that horrendous pause when everyone goes off and does other things. Leaves you sort of let down doesn't it! Just had a look at Mt Cookson on G earth. Not often so many Tomos show up in an aerial image! Looks like that scarp line is a collapse area and the whole mountain is sagging. Quite an interesting place.
This is all we can manage - named after my Grandfather - something deeply philosophical about the "no exit"!
Attached Images

08-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #16134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Seeing as someone else has started a trend of posting images of things relating to their name, I thought I might make a contribution.
There's quite a lot of character to that little hill. I've often thought how cool it would be to be able to see a time lapse of however million years it takes for such things to form.

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
This is all we can manage - named after my Grandfather - something deeply philosophical about the "no exit"!
Street names are the quintessential legacy of many folks. Somewhere down in the Golden Downs area is a Les Jenks Rd named after my grandfather, and off Mangles Valley Rd, just north of Murchison, is Walker Rd, named after my aunt & uncle who had the road built to their property. In Foxton there's a Jenks St (which I drove down finally on my road trip last month) but I have no idea after whom it is named.
08-03-2019, 12:07 AM   #16135
Pentaxian

Mine was the hell hole of the Pacific...
Kororāreka
08-03-2019, 12:31 AM   #16136
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Mine was the hell hole of the Pacific...
Kororāreka
So the old capital was named after your ancestor?
08-03-2019, 12:55 AM   #16137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our first view of Kororāreka last year was from the ferry over from Paihia. Doesn’t look so hellish now! A fine meal in the Duke of Marlborough, but low cloud meant that we couldn’t see a thing from Flagstaff Hill. Had my photo taken in the stocks on the waterfront.
08-03-2019, 01:13 AM   #16138
Pentaxian

What the heck am I missing here Tom. Isn't the fact the coc for FF is 50% larger is totally due to the fact the image from FF has to be enlarged less to achieve the final print? So these charts are corrected for final print size.
So the old capital was named after your ancestor?
Totally !
She embarked from here 😀
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4041/4709322079_19bd7f5808_b.jpg
08-03-2019, 03:57 AM   #16139
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
You had a female ancestor named Russell Square?
08-03-2019, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #16140
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is what one of my ancestors (g grandfather) claim to fame is -- he enthusiastically hunted down the last remnants of the piopio population in the Waitotara Forests. Joseph Annabell was a pioneer surveyor and saw the need to record the species in the fitting manner of the day. I guess if he had had a K-1 things might have been a bit different!. He also kept a comprehensive diary and I can pinpoint many of the spots he shot the piopio. From memory Te Papa has 7 of his specimens.
Attached Images