Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #16141
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
This is what one of my ancestors (g grandfather) claim to fame is -- he enthusiastically hunted down the last remnants of the piopio population in the Waitotara Forests. Joseph Annabell was a pioneer surveyor and saw the need to record the species in the fitting manner of the day. I guess if he had had a K-1 things might have been a bit different!. He also kept a comprehensive diary and I can pinpoint many of the spots he shot the piopio. From memory Te Papa has 7 of his specimens.
Wicked ! Looks like it's in your genes

08-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #16142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
She embarked from here 😀
One of the few places in London I have been. Fondly remembered for carrying several large suitcases up the stairs because "there can't be that many" and "it'll take ages in the lift." Later we discovered a) the size of the lift (enormous), and b) the sign at the bottom saying 177 stairs!

This is what one of my ancestors (g grandfather) claim to fame is -- he enthusiastically hunted down the last remnants of the piopio population in the Waitotara Forests. Joseph Annabell was a pioneer surveyor and saw the need to record the species in the fitting manner of the day. I guess if he had had a K-1 things might have been a bit different!. He also kept a comprehensive diary and I can pinpoint many of the spots he shot the piopio. From memory Te Papa has 7 of his specimens.
Oh, wow! How worlds collide. On my recent road trip we decided to stop off in New Plymouth on the way back from Auckland instead of the usual Rotorua or Taupo. As a result of which we took SH3 and stopped for a snack in... Piopio! We saw several shop signs with a "passerine like" bird silhouette and the missus asked "is a piopio a bird?" I thought it sounded like one but couldn't pin it down, thinking it was a name of a present-day species. Looked it up to discover this thing, extinct.

Nice little spot, Piopio. In between the trucks rumbling through it was super quiet. Has a nice little park by the road to eat your ice cream and pie. (And in the park, we discovered, a sign which had information about the bird.)
08-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #16143
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Family get-togethers for the Annabell clan must have been a little "Fred Dagg and the Trevs".... seems all first-born sons were gifted the 'Joseph' moniker....
Joseph Annabell (1815 - 1893) - Genealogy

But your mention finally explains the odd spelling of a nearby street..
Guess this is named for him...
Annabell Grove, Lower Hutt - Postcode - 5018 - New Zealand Postcode
08-03-2019, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #16144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
One of the few places in London I have been. Fondly remembered for carrying several large suitcases up the stairs because "there can't be that many" and "it'll take ages in the lift." Later we discovered a) the size of the lift (enormous), and b) the sign at the bottom saying 177 stairs!
Suitcases in London stories I had a bastard with the wheels too close together trying to catch a bus with this thing doing high sides and speed wobbles

08-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #16145
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Family get-togethers for the Annabell clan must have been a little "Fred Dagg and the Trevs".... seems all first-born sons were gifted the 'Joseph' moniker....
Joseph Annabell (1815 - 1893) - Genealogy

But your mention finally explains the odd spelling of a nearby street..
Guess this is named for him...
Annabell Grove, Lower Hutt - Postcode - 5018 - New Zealand Postcode
I think that aussie Joseph is an error - not aware of an aussie connection. The 1815 Joseph was a portrait painter living at Undercliff at Havelock North. Not aware of a Hutt valley connection but the other son - John was a more established surveyor than Joseph and may perhaps been officially commemorated. From what I gather Joseph was barely qualified - a lot of his work had to be signed off by John. But Joseph had the balls to explore - some off his surveying in the Waitotaras is in what is still extremely remote country. He was also involved in the original carve up in the Waiouru area. And records hearing Huia in the back country of Hunterville.
08-03-2019, 10:30 PM   #16146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And records hearing Huia in the back country of Hunterville.
Sigh... I still live in hope there's a remote population somewhere that DoC can nurse back to prominence. But those bloody possums and friends...
08-04-2019, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #16147
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But those bloody possums and friends...
And surveyors with shotguns!

08-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #16148
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry Chris you copped that horrendous pause when everyone goes off and does other things.
You mean instead of talking about photography, actually going off and doing some?

Just had a look at Mt Cookson on G earth. Not often so many Tomos show up in an aerial image! Looks like that scarp line is a collapse area and the whole mountain is sagging. Quite an interesting place.
Yes, it certainly is quite interesting geology. When I went up it with Dad and his brothers, the farmer said it was really dangerous in winter, as those tomos filled up with snow, so you wouldn't know when you were on top of one, and some are pretty deep.
I wonder if anyone's ever thought to look and see if there are any moa bones at the bottom of any?
I guess there's quite a bit of interesting NZ landscape that's either not publicly accessible or advertised.
Maybe it's a good thing Mount Cookson is neither, otherwise it would probably end up becoming a good source of Instagram influencer fossils down those tomos or at the bottom of that scarp in future.
This is all we can manage - named after my Grandfather - something deeply philosophical about the "no exit"!
Not everyone gets to have a holey mountain with stone tablets bearing the family name.

---------- Post added 08-05-19 at 12:43 PM ----------

There's quite a lot of character to that little hill. I've often thought how cool it would be to be able to see a time lapse of however million years it takes for such things to form.
Pentax needs to come up with some better battery life, and add a few more bytes to the storage for time-lapse parameters.

Seriously, I wonder what the longest time lapses are? Digital cameras have come so far in 20 years. I remember in 1999, VGA resolution 640x480 with a floppy disk was considered high technology.
Some fixed webcams may have been in place for a few years I guess?

---------- Post added 08-05-19 at 12:47 PM ----------

Obviously 'non-destructive sampling', was not a thing back then!
08-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #16149
Pentaxian

Pentax K-5 ii spotted for $200, shutter count around 12,000.
also
Pentax 43mm f1.9 limited prime FA for $550

Facebook Marketplace: Pentax K5 II Camera - Electronics & Computers - Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Don't know the seller, just passing on that I've seen the listing. Located in Lower Hutt.
08-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #16150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Pentax K-5 ii spotted for $200, shutter count around 12,000.
also
Pentax 43mm f1.9 limited prime FA for $550

Facebook Marketplace: Pentax K5 II Camera - Electronics & Computers - Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Don't know the seller, just passing on that I've seen the listing. Located in Lower Hutt.
Good price on the 43
I can nay get into that page
08-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #16151
Pentaxian

And surveyors with shotguns!
Don't you dis Surveyors!
08-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #16152
Pentaxian

I can nay get into that page
Yeah it's a Facebook marketplace listing, so having Facebook is a prerequisite.
Not condoning or supporting Facebook, but just letting the group know about the advertisement.
08-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #16153
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Don't you dis Surveyors!
Yeah I spose you zap them with your laser now!
08-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #16154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Yeah it's a Facebook marketplace listing, so having Facebook is a prerequisite.
Not condoning or supporting Facebook, but just letting the group know about the advertisement.
That's strange I have got Facebook I regularly get post from the Australian Pentax buy and sell people maybe I need to like their page or something

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2019 at 05:58 PM ----------

I stuck a bit of wood together 😀
08-06-2019, 02:08 AM   #16155
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's strange I have got Facebook I regularly get post from the Australian Pentax buy and sell people maybe I need to like their page or something

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2019 at 05:58 PM ----------

I stuck a bit of wood together 😀
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1RqXdDU0GOI
Ahhaa blackwood - the premier furniture timber. Is it from trees you grew? Got a little bit here getting to milling size.