Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2019, 09:05 PM - 2 Likes   #16291
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just when you think the world is mad...something like this makes you feel good again..

QuoteQuote:
For the last 130 years Carl Zeiss has been owned by a foundation which stipulates that no one can earn more than 10x of the lowest earning employee. The Foundation is administered by a committee made up of 50% employees, 50% management. Once a year management has to go before it and justify their actions with regards to how they benefited the work force and the communities Carl Zeiss/Schott operates in.
Social Engagement

09-29-2019, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #16292
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I also found the shutter lag when using live view to be atrociously long.
I don't normally notice the shutter lag and I am in LV all the time. But I noticed it a bit the other night. I never see any display delay apart from exposure change so I don't think it is that. I think it might be shake reduction delay - maybe SR can't calibrate until it drops the mirror. It always seemed to be when I was rushing a shot.
09-29-2019, 09:50 PM   #16293
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another time when I notice shutter delay is when I use older flashes (safe voltage) onboard - a very similar delay to the other night. I solve this going off board with the flash and using a trigger. (everything absolutely on manual when I use flash)
09-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #16294
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote

For now, all I get is a dodgy Pentax app that needs wifi, which slaughters the camera battery. It can't even pull RAW files off the camera.
Are you sure, i seem to be able to ?

09-29-2019, 11:16 PM   #16295
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I think it might be shake reduction delay - maybe SR can't calibrate until it drops the mirror.
There shouldn't be any functional dependency.

Also, I don't think the K-1 operates the mirror when in LV mode. Last time I checked, I couldn't see an image flashing in the viewfinder when taking a shot in LV mode.

Another time when I notice shutter delay is when I use older flashes (safe voltage) onboard
Well, I used a P-TTL-capable trigger when I experienced the lag and potentially it made the camera use a timing that allows for pre-flashes. I'll have to check whether the delay persist when I don't use the trigger.

You shouldn't see any delays though when using older, or in general, single-pin flashes. These don't communicate with the camera so any pre-flash delays won't occur.
It should not make one bit of a difference to the camera whether you mount a single-in flash or a single-pin trigger.

Only P-TTL-capable devices should have the potential to mess with the camera's timing.
09-29-2019, 11:26 PM - 2 Likes   #16296
Pentaxian

Here is what I meant by the Dancer up the tree the other night Pete.....
Nice! the whole Tinkerbell thing going on
I just got twilight fish

K-1 with the FA50/1.4 at 2.2
09-30-2019, 12:13 AM - 2 Likes   #16297
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's a first effort from the big Sigma 150-500 (only at 190 in this case). Yesterday the conditions weren't all that conducive to photography, as it was windy, and lots of passing cloud, but I did manage this.
At 500mm it's not particularly sharp, as I expected from reviews, but adequate to identify birds. I was actually really surprised how good centre sharpness is in the middle of the range. Pixel peeping this image full size on screen, I could easily count every fibre on the faces lambs if I'd really wanted to take the time.
My previous longest lens was the Sigma 70-300 APO which could just manage birds if I was patient, but wasn't super sharp at 300mm.
Based on first impressions, the 150-500 probably isn't as sharp at 500mm as 70-300 at 300mm, but it looks as though it will be pretty good up to probably around 450mm.
Although the DF-A 150-450 looks like a much superior lens in all respects, it also comes with a much steeper price tag, so I'll have to be content with this.

09-30-2019, 12:35 AM   #16298
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Here's a first effort from the big Sigma 150-500 (only at 190 in this case). Yesterday the conditions weren't all that conducive to photography, as it was windy, and lots of passing cloud, but I did manage this.
At 500mm it's not particularly sharp....
Grats on the lens looks like a lot of fun
has your camera got focus fine tuning?
Might be useful doing a bit of that at the sweet spot focal length
09-30-2019, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #16299
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You shouldn't see any delays though when using older, or in general, single-pin flashes. These don't communicate with the camera so any pre-flash delays won't occur.
It should not make one bit of a difference to the camera whether you mount a single-in flash or a single-pin trigger.
I went off and had a look and the flash delay was different to the LV delay. I only have archaic pentax flashes - an AF 200s and a ring AF080c. They have 3 pins. The delay is definitely mirror actuation and with all settings on the flash and LV but no delay in OV.
A strange thing thing when you first turn the camera and flash on, take a few shots then flick over to LV then the first shot has no delay. Delay from then on- weird.
My trigger and elcheapo led ring are single pin and there is no delay.
When I sit down and directly compare the two the LV shutter is definitely more sluggish than the OV and a very slight delay - maybe 1/8 sec. it seemed slower for a time the other night but I can't recreate it. I have all the AF settings now on shutter priority and maybe that could have been the difference in low light even tho I had it on MF.
09-30-2019, 02:57 AM   #16300
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Their shoal movement was a beast wasn't it. Try manual focusing 85mm 1.8 with all that movement.
09-30-2019, 03:07 AM   #16301
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Grats on the lens looks like a lot of fun
has your camera got focus fine tuning?
Might be useful doing a bit of that at the sweet spot focal length
The K-70 does have focus fine tuning. I noticed at 500mm though, even in manual focus mode it didn't get overly sharp, although that also could have something to do with atmospheric disturbance as I was looking at distant subjects.
09-30-2019, 03:32 AM   #16302
Pentaxian

Their shoal movement was a beast wasn't it. Try manual focusing 85mm 1.8 with all that movement.
Yes the shoal was great!
I always prefocus fish 😂
09-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #16303
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I only have archaic pentax flashes - an AF 200s and a ring AF080c. They have 3 pins.
Those three pins could be enough to make a difference, i.e., let the camera detect there is a flash and behave differently.

The delay is definitely mirror actuation and with all settings on the flash and LV but no delay in OV.
So you are saying the mirror is moved when shooting in LV? Should be no need for that, unless they have a particular mechanical approach for cocking the shutter that requires the mirror to move at the same time. As I said I didn't see anything in the viewfinder, but didn't look inside the mirror box without a lens mounted for fear of dust and other nasties entering the mirror box. I'll try looking through the lens next time.

A strange thing thing when you first turn the camera and flash on, take a few shots then flick over to LV then the first shot has no delay. Delay from then on- weird.

My trigger and elcheapo led ring are single pin and there is no delay.
At least something works as expected.

When I sit down and directly compare the two the LV shutter is definitely more sluggish than the OV and a very slight delay - maybe 1/8 sec.
That could just be the time delay I experienced. It doesn't look like much but it is enough for someone to completely change their expression during that time.
09-30-2019, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #16304
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So you are saying the mirror is moved when shooting in LV
Yes I checked by looking thru the OVF and there is a flicker of light.
That could just be the time delay I experienced. It doesn't look like much but it is enough for someone to completely change their expression during that time.
With my usual type of photography that is so not an issue and I am no doubt used to it because I am mostly in LV. Manual focusing on moving people probably made it an issue.
09-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #16305
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
That was a me too moment reading that. Took me ages to work out that the live view display was linked to the auto shot metering mode, even when in full manual mode.
As you say, that should really be separated out so it's more clear.
It's quite an annoying issue how live view handles exposure settings. In my case, I ran into it trying to do macro. Live view is particularly handy for macro, but I'm typically using an off camera flash for illumination and in full manual mode, resulting in the ambient light sometimes being way too dark to see the subject, and if the subject happens to be live bugs, you don't have time to compose and focus at a wide aperture then stop down to capture the image.