Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #16306
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
It's quite an annoying issue how live view handles exposure settings. In my case, I ran into it trying to do macro. Live view is particularly handy for macro, but I'm typically using an off camera flash for illumination and in full manual mode, resulting in the ambient light sometimes being way too dark to see the subject, and if the subject happens to be live bugs, you don't have time to compose and focus at a wide aperture then stop down to capture the image.
X mode should work for you there. Only trouble with it you are stuck with the flash synch speed - so you can't set up a fill in flash situation (or a non flash situation). Thank the lord for aperture rings.

09-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #16307
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Here is what I meant by the Dancer up the tree the other night Pete. For the others it was a "light up your bike" parade and she was a side event doing horizontal ballet. The full scene was with my revuenon 55mm wide open at f1.2 1/20 Iso 100 handheld. Had to push the lowlights a couple of stops. With hindsight I could have afforded to stop down to f2. She was not moving fast so 1/20 was alrightish. The closer shots were with a Tak Bayonet 135mm 2.5 wide open 1/60. It is very difficult to get the appearance of detail under these types of flood but you can see in the crop the detail is there.
Great shots Gub.
09-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #16308
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Nicely done,

And yeah I've had the same issue with dust/imperfections being captured worse than they possibly are due to the better detail in the image.

---------- Post added 09-30-19 at 12:49 PM ----------

A few more of mine from Australia to share:

Nicely done Richard. Some very artistic framing!
09-30-2019, 04:28 PM - 2 Likes   #16309
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a first effort from the big Sigma 150-500 (only at 190 in this case). Yesterday the conditions weren't all that conducive to photography, as it was windy, and lots of passing cloud, but I did manage this.
At 500mm it's not particularly sharp, as I expected from reviews, but adequate to identify birds. I was actually really surprised how good centre sharpness is in the middle of the range. Pixel peeping this image full size on screen, I could easily count every fibre on the faces lambs if I'd really wanted to take the time.
My previous longest lens was the Sigma 70-300 APO which could just manage birds if I was patient, but wasn't super sharp at 300mm.
Based on first impressions, the 150-500 probably isn't as sharp at 500mm as 70-300 at 300mm, but it looks as though it will be pretty good up to probably around 450mm.
Although the DF-A 150-450 looks like a much superior lens in all respects, it also comes with a much steeper price tag, so I'll have to be content with this.

I've been enjoying my Sigma. Sharp enough at 500mm, but needs tripod. The thing is much to heavy to hand-hold for any length of time!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
09-30-2019, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #16310
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've been enjoying my Sigma. Sharp enough at 500mm, but needs tripod. The thing is much to heavy to hand-hold for any length of time!
Nice. Looking at the sample images in the reviews the Sigma 50-500 looks to be a bit sharper than the 150-500, but it looks like it sells for a bit more too, although still a bargain compared to the Pentax DFA 150-450.

Sigma dropping support for the PK mount does make Pentax a less attractive option in terms of availability of long lenses, as the longest zoom available new is now the D-FA 150-450, and much as I'd like it, it's well beyond my budget.

It was just coincidence that the Sigma announcement came through then someone put a big Sigma up for sale at a reasonable price, so I figured I should grab it. Anything really long in PK mount doesn't come up often anyway, and if there are no more new lenses being acquired, the used market is likely to get more constrained as well.

I'm equipped from 10mm to 500mm now, so I don't really need any more lenses, but there are a couple of Pentax lenses I might consider buying new in future for their versatility.
09-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #16311
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice. Looking at the sample images in the reviews the Sigma 50-500 looks to be a bit sharper than the 150-500, but it looks like it sells for a bit more too, although still a bargain compared to the Pentax DFA 150-450.

Sigma dropping support for the PK mount does make Pentax a less attractive option in terms of availability of long lenses, as the longest zoom available new is now the D-FA 150-450, and much as I'd like it, it's well beyond my budget.

It was just coincidence that the Sigma announcement came through then someone put a big Sigma up for sale at a reasonable price, so I figured I should grab it. Anything really long in PK mount doesn't come up often anyway, and if there are no more new lenses being acquired, the used market is likely to get more constrained as well.

I'm equipped from 10mm to 500mm now, so I don't really need any more lenses, but there are a couple of Pentax lenses I might consider buying new in future for their versatility.
I was very lucky with what i got the 50-500mm for. Anything else at that range would have been very much outside my budget. No doubt the DFA 150-450 is a fantastic lens but certainly not affordable for me.

What are you using at the 10mm end?
10-01-2019, 04:49 AM - 2 Likes   #16312
Pentaxian

I was very lucky with what i got the 50-500mm for. Anything else at that range would have been very much outside my budget. No doubt the DFA 150-450 is a fantastic lens but certainly not affordable for me.

What are you using at the 10mm end?
Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 It actually seems to be a reasonable lens especially stopped down a little which I tend to do most of the time with landscapes. I think I've posted one or two images from it here.

At 10mm, I've found you need to remember to carry a tripod, not to avoid camera shake, but to avoid getting your own shadow in the image.

10-01-2019, 11:40 PM   #16313
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Have you all seen the new forum giveaway?
10-01-2019, 11:40 PM   #16314
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Still wondering what to post...
10-01-2019, 11:40 PM   #16315
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hope I can think of something...
10-01-2019, 11:41 PM   #16316
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Just takin' the Michael!
10-02-2019, 12:47 AM   #16317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Are you sure, i seem to be able to ?
It may be one of those "tried once, didn't try again" scenarios. But at the time (a while ago now) I couldn't get ANYTHING to transfer off the camera (they would show as unavailable or some such) and then had the thought that it might be RAWs are the problem. I developed one to JPEG in camera and sure enough was able to transfer it. I will have to try again, as I know there have been at least two app updates since then. Mind you, I can now whip out my Lightning-to-SD dongle and simply slip the SD card in and copy direct to the iPad filesystem and then use something like Pixelmator Photo to do a pretty fine job of processing.

Here's a first effort from the big Sigma 150-500 (only at 190 in this case).
Although the DF-A 150-450 looks like a much superior lens in all respects, it also comes with a much steeper price tag
Beautiful definition there. The depth (of field ) is fantastic. By which I mean the lambs really stand out from the background. And the definition in their coats is indeed wonderful.

Lots of other good shots there by others, too. I always love night shots but tend not to do well with them except by luck. I guess I should try to do it more often, though perhaps this is the wrong time of year to be thinking like that.

The K-70 does have focus fine tuning. I noticed at 500mm though, even in manual focus mode it didn't get overly sharp, although that also could have something to do with atmospheric disturbance as I was looking at distant subjects.
"Atmospheric disturbance" has ruined some of my photos already this year. Perhaps due to shooting stuff over the top of a lot of tarmac. Certainly zooming to 300mm to capture something at the other end of Wellington Airport will often be a wavy mess, especially in mid-summer.

I'll carry it for you. I'll even put it on my camera. Heck, you don't even need to come along!

I've done very little with my KP lately except the aforementioned Trade Me shots. However, playing with my new iPhone 11 Pro has me hankering for something wider than 18mm in a K-mount.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11 Pro  Photo 
10-02-2019, 04:06 AM   #16318
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I'll carry it for you. I'll even put it on my camera. Heck, you don't even need to come along!
Thanks Alistair. Selfless sacrifice and all. LOL

Jokes aside, if you find yourself in the Wairarapa feel free to come and try it out.
10-02-2019, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #16319
Pentaxian

Beautiful definition there. The depth (of field ) is fantastic. By which I mean the lambs really stand out from the background. And the definition in their coats is indeed wonderful.
I was pleasantly surprised, as the lens reviews seem to be decidely mixed, but some people seem to get good images out of it, and it might be my only opportunity to own something this long. My thinking is if I can get nice images up to about 400mm it's a significant step up over anything else I have, and if I can get acceptable images beyond that it's a bonus.

"Atmospheric disturbance" has ruined some of my photos already this year. Perhaps due to shooting stuff over the top of a lot of tarmac. Certainly zooming to 300mm to capture something at the other end of Wellington Airport will often be a wavy mess, especially in mid-summer.
It's too easy to forget the atmosphere also has optical properties, especially when you're looking through a large volume of air. I don't envy you trying to get nice aircraft photos. The atmospheric distortion from jet exhausts can be pretty severe.
At least down here I have Omaka within about half an hour's walk or 10 minutes on a bike. You have to get much closer to the small planes, but that means less atmospheric interference, and also less hot exhaust to contribute to it.

I've done very little with my KP lately except the aforementioned Trade Me shots. However, playing with my new iPhone 11 Pro has me hankering for something wider than 18mm in a K-mount.
The DA* 11-18 2.8 would be a very nice lens to own, but it has a fairly hefty price tag.
10-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #16320
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Have you all seen the new forum giveaway?
Oooh - I've always wanted Pentax

---------- Post added 3rd Oct 2019 at 12:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Oooh - I've always wanted Pentax
Though I hear they're no good for sports.