Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2019, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #16336
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
....with Android, the "do what you like" seems largely to consist of changing the entire mode of operation of the device with launchers and widgets and more. That makes it really interesting for people but a bugger to support......
Oh well, it's a cross I'm happy the bear

10-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #16337
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I get the feeling that Linux users are quite well represented in the Pentax world. I think it is the slightly out of the square approach to things -- ie not sheep.
I have long thought that Pentax would do well to fork a linux flavour. Ie a complete OS forked off say Ubuntu or at minimum cooperate with Rawtherapee or Darktable and make it their own opensource pentax camera software.
And in true long linux tradition of really uncool names they could call it "PENUX" !.
And I think the only weak link in the chain would be printing. I currently use a virtual xp OS on a linux host to get the control I want over printing. So that is a step in my chain that is not open source.
10-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #16338
Pentaxian

Great idea!
give the past a nod, maybe istPenux
10-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #16339
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Great idea!
give the past a nod, maybe istPenux
And maybe the fork especially for the K-1 - Large Penux

10-05-2019, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #16340
Pentaxian

Largist Penux ? spose that would be the 645 fork
10-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #16341
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Pete I am putting on a bit of a display down at the exhibition 2.00 to 4.00 tday -- Penux related. Might see ya there!
10-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #16342
Pentaxian

rightho

10-05-2019, 08:45 PM - 3 Likes   #16343
Pentaxian

Rough crowd, the joker guarding the Pentux table was a nightmare
I got out of there

FA50@f5
10-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #16344
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got out of there

FA50@f5
Good old Photosnaiper - great conversation starter - if only there was an audience to start the conversation! Quiet afternoon but great to take some of the old classic lenses for an outing!

Last edited by GUB; 10-06-2019 at 02:34 AM.
10-05-2019, 10:54 PM   #16345
Pentaxian

Was fun explaining to one punter how the preset 135 worked
speaking of which was a hoot how that 135 barrel loosened up in the sun
10-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #16346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this the year of Linux on the desktop?

Linux is a great piece of technology that 99%+ of people don't need to care about, but 100% of people will come into unknowing contact with whenever they go online as the vast majority of web sites run on it (including all of mine). Personally, I'd no sooner use Linux on my desktop every day than I'd use my KP to film a wedding.

As for DarkTable, I thought I'd give it a try recently — it lasted about 5 minutes before I deleted it. It may well be a very capable image processor, but boy could they use some designers to whip that UI into something recognisable. I've been mucking about with computers for nearly 40 years and have the skills to figure out just about any software... but I don't want to have to figure out a tool like that. If Lightroom is about an 8-out-of-10 on the usability scale, then DarkTable is about a 2.

It is an open secret that Serif will, eventually, release a DAM capability within their Affinity suite of products. Given their performance to date, that's what I will end up using long term, I think. Especially if it comes as a "dark room" persona for the already very capable Affinity Photo.
10-05-2019, 11:35 PM   #16347
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
some years ago (2008 ?) there was a dedicated Linux Photographers Distro but darned if I can't remember the name... I think user newmikey had something to do with it...

Still....
opensourcephotography.org
Software list | opensourcephotography.org

Last edited by bobD; 10-05-2019 at 11:52 PM.
10-06-2019, 01:34 AM   #16348
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As for DarkTable, I thought I'd give it a try recently — it lasted about 5 minutes before I deleted it. It may well be a very capable image processor, but boy could they use some designers to whip that UI into something recognisable. I've been mucking about with computers for nearly 40 years and have the skills to figure out just about any software... but I don't want to have to figure out a tool like that. If Lightroom is about an 8-out-of-10 on the usability scale, then DarkTable is about a 2.
Yep -- 5 minutes and judge it - good on ya.
I have been working with it for upwards of 5 years I guess - still got a lot to learn -- still asking silly questions and finding out things I should have worked out years ago. But I am the limitation not DT.
And while we are trading insults on our respective programs I can tell you now I describe LR to its users as a "paint by numbers" program that disempowers its user's from using the highly respectable PS. To me LR is like leaving your camera set to jpg. (Lets use someone else's preset)
10-06-2019, 01:54 AM   #16349
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I'd no sooner use Linux on my desktop every day than I'd use my KP to film a wedding.
Not sure what you mean by this but this message is coming to you courtesy of Ubuntu 14.04 -- for 5 years I have taken no security measures - just updates to the OS when available until they dropped support.
It is running just as fast now as when it was installed and starts in a jiffy. I snicker softly to myself as I watch someones windows sluggishly ooze into life running at a fraction of its original speed. And people pay to have this done to them.
10-06-2019, 02:29 AM   #16350
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looks like he means business.

I would have done a runner as well!