Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #16381
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I really hate that Google killed off Picasa.
I loved to use Picasa as well, when I started with my K100D.

I guess Google wants people to upload images to the cloud these days, instead of managing them on their own hard drives.

10-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #16382
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I guess Google wants people to upload images to the cloud these days, instead of managing them on their own hard drives.
I guess it helps in the tracking and ad serving
10-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #16383
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What I don't understand is why people talk about it in the past tense. I have doubts that the .exe is available at the official site though.
Attached Images

10-10-2019, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #16384
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
What I don't understand is why people talk about it in the past tense.
Likely because it's a dead product. There are no more updates coming for it as it's been abandoned since 2016.
Still works as an application.

10-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #16385
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Likely because it's a dead product. There are no more updates coming for it as it's been abandoned since 2016.
Still opening K-1 DNGs.
And really as a library opening is all you need. It wasn't long ago that I processed a raw out of curiosity with it though.
10-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #16386
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Still opening K-1 DNGs.
And really as a library opening is all you need. It wasn't long ago that I processed a raw out of curiosity with it though.
Not saying otherwise, just pointing out the non supported status (3 years now) is why it's being referenced in the past tense.
10-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #16387
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Unfortunately it's functionality seems a bit hit and miss now. My daughter likes to use it to watch videos of herself, but after a recent Windows update, it seems to have stopped playing the video clips. I can maybe try compatibility mode to see if the videos will play.
Mind you the same Windows update messed up the graphics card drivers on the PC concerned and I had to force it to use the Nvidia screen settings rather than Windows settings to avoid getting a green screen.
Talk about a throw back to the 80s!

---------- Post added 10-11-19 at 06:00 PM ----------

I know Pentax isn't renowned for video, perhaps I should say it's notorious for video - for all the wrong reasons, but these school holidays, I started playing around with timelapse on the K-70, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I don't really need live AF, or many of the other areas where Pentax falls down on video, as the camera will be on a tripod, so stabilisation is irrelevant, but I did find the K-70 is far easier to set up and customise for timelapse than the K-50.
I haven't tried it in 4K mode as I don't have anything to display 4K on, but full HD seems to work OK.
I didn't buy the K-70 for timelapse, and I didn't even check its upgraded specs for this functionality before I bought it, but I think I like it. I'm sure other makes will do even better, but still it's nice to discover an unexpected feature that works quite well.

10-15-2019, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #16388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Video of all the entries for the 2019 NZ Astrophotography Competition. Most of the images can be done with bog standard photography kit.

Enjoy.

Last edited by pixelsaurus; 10-15-2019 at 02:36 AM.
10-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #16389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, some great photos there. I took a couple of Milky Ways (with a Magellanic Cloud - we don’t get those in my piece of the northern hemisphere) at midnight one February evening when we were staying in the dark sky region around Wairua Lodge on the Coromandel in 2018.
10-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #16390
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the recent discussion about cataloguing and workflow I must offer a little plug for Lightroom. So easy and (relatively) quick to deal with 300+ marathon photos.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
10-16-2019, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #16391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes it pays to get a different perspective. A lot of my usual spots around Wellington Airport are so close that I end up using the 55mm end of my DA55-300.

From the top of the new 8-story carpark, the larger aircraft require me to pull back a little from 300mm at their closest point, so I'm still in range for some good shots, but with some really different backgrounds.

10-16-2019, 01:19 AM   #16392
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Sometimes it pays to get a different perspective. A lot of my usual spots around Wellington Airport are so close that I end up using the 55mm end of my DA55-300.

From the top of the new 8-story carpark, the larger aircraft require me to pull back a little from 300mm at their closest point, so I'm still in range for some good shots, but with some really different backgrounds.

Neat vantage point! Well done.
10-16-2019, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #16393
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
With the recent discussion about cataloguing and workflow I must offer a little plug for Lightroom. So easy and (relatively) quick to deal with 300+ marathon photos.
Presets and batch processing might not be so good when you want to create unique works of art, but for photojournalism where you want quick, but consistent results, they sure are handy.

I don't have anyone else's presets, but I do create many of my own, both for import, processing, and export for different purposes.

---------- Post added 10-16-19 at 11:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote

Telephotos do tend to compress perspective a bit, but that really makes the plane look like it's right on top of the people at the beach.

Out around Tahunanui and some of the estuaries around Nelson, the planes get pretty close, but probably not that close.

Mum and Dad live in rural Canterbury, but they're right in the flight path of flights to Australia. During the school holidays, I saw an A380 fly over outbound, and even though it had already been gaining height, it still looked massive. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera handy.
10-16-2019, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #16394
Pentaxian

A couple for ZK - this Catalina taking off and landing all day at Taupo, but never getting very close to me so these are heavily cropped.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D750  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D750  Photo 
10-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #16395
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@richandfleur

Just thought I'd share the following video with you that shows how unreliable video AF can be even on a Panasonic camera which may not considered to be the best in AF but still decent.

The camera is not only indecisive and doesn't keep the subject in focus, it also sometimes rapidly wobbles around the point of focus (which is typical for Panasonic's DFD implementation).

In defence of the camera, the light levels probably weren't that high and the background light may have been distracting, but still, bit of a disappointing performance.

In my view, video AF can be helpful in some cameras but ultimately it is not fully reliable.

What Happens When You Push 10 Bit Too Far? S1H vs GH5s - YouTube

P.S.: Camera Conspiracies is a comedy channel, not a serious review channel. Although he often says very reasonable things, the focus is on the humour, not on getting all the facts right. I thought the channel was funnier when he didn't have so much gear to play with. Some of his earlier clips were just hilarious.