Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2019, 10:45 PM   #16441
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Nothing in Lightroom can't be done in Photoshop as well, but the interface is much more aligned to doing photography things quickly.
Nothing you can do to pixels in Lightroom that you can't do in Photoshop. I don't believe you can edit metadata (can you even view it?) or move files or rate/pick.

I see it kinda like LightROOM versus LightTABLE (Photoshop).

10-31-2019, 12:11 AM   #16442
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Nothing you can do to pixels in Lightroom that you can't do in Photoshop.
yeah hoped that was kinda obvious

Was meaning the editing side. Lightroom offers more for photographers management and work flows etc.
10-31-2019, 12:59 AM   #16443
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can edit metadata in Bridge however.
10-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #16444
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nothing you can do to pixels in Lightroom that you can't do in Photoshop. I don't believe you can edit metadata (can you even view it?) or move files or rate/pick.

I see it kinda like LightROOM versus LightTABLE (Photoshop).
You can edit metadata in Photoshop, but it's not nearly as convenient as doing it with Lightroom (or Bridge). It's fine if you doing one off edits to individual photos, but it would be painful to batch process a lot of images manually.
Photoshop does support scripting though, so it's conceivable if you like writing code, you could write some automation scripts for metadata, but why bother if you've already got Lightroom or Bridge, which both come with a CC photography plan in addition to Photoshop.

11-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #16445
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I used DxO PhotoLab to tag and sort 193 images and then process 28 of them. On the whole pretty good, though I felt like I was missing some steps that I would have done in Luminar. I have been a fan of the micro-structure filter and I can't see anything in DxO that is equivalent, though there is a micro-contrast setting. The noise reduction is startlingly good when you use the Prime engine (which works on the RAW data rather than the rendered image). One of the great benefits is every photo automatically has some processing applied including lens corrections — I still need to look into how I can control what gets applied in this step. Most photos I went straight to white balance (by dropper), crop, occasionally straighten (not the best straightener I've used but workable), and push the exposure. I feel like boosting shadows affects the midtones more in DxO than it did in Luminar. The ClearView+ feature is another great tool – DxO's version of de-haze. It works very well but you do have to keep it away from areas that are already high contrast. The use of Control Points made this pretty easy. Mostly I used it to get more punch from background vegetation so just let it loose on those areas.

The final results hopefully speak for themselves...

The full set of 28 are on Flickr.
11-03-2019, 01:19 AM   #16446
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should clarify that particular shot did not utilise the ClearView+ as I felt there wasn't enough vegetation visible beyond the spray, though I may be tempted to try it on the spray area anyway and see what happens.
11-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #16447
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I used DxO PhotoLab to tag and sort 193 images and then process 28 of them. On the whole pretty good, though I felt like I was missing some steps that I would have done in Luminar. I have been a fan of the micro-structure filter and I can't see anything in DxO that is equivalent, though there is a micro-contrast setting. The noise reduction is startlingly good when you use the Prime engine (which works on the RAW data rather than the rendered image). One of the great benefits is every photo automatically has some processing applied including lens corrections — I still need to look into how I can control what gets applied in this step. Most photos I went straight to white balance (by dropper), crop, occasionally straighten (not the best straightener I've used but workable), and push the exposure. I feel like boosting shadows affects the midtones more in DxO than it did in Luminar. The ClearView+ feature is another great tool – DxO's version of de-haze. It works very well but you do have to keep it away from areas that are already high contrast. The use of Control Points made this pretty easy. Mostly I used it to get more punch from background vegetation so just let it loose on those areas.

The full set of 28 are on Flickr.
Is that the new Airbus?

11-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #16448
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Is that the new Airbus?
Yes it is. Beautiful looking machine.
11-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #16449
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes it is. Beautiful looking machine.
The interior shots I have seen shows it's quite nice inside too. For a bus.
11-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #16450
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The interior shots I have seen shows it's quite nice inside too. For a bus.
It should be. The oldest one in their fleet is not yet four years old. Compare to the Boeing, Boeing, gone 777-200ERs they're replacing which are about 16 years old on average (and are leaving the fleet).
11-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #16451
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It should be. The oldest one in their fleet is not yet four years old. Compare to the Boeing, Boeing, gone 777-200ERs they're replacing which are about 16 years old on average (and are leaving the fleet).
Sounds good. I think Air Singapore is a good option for getting to Europe. I've not used them but my wife says flying via Singapore is a good experience.
11-05-2019, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #16452
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've not used them but my wife says flying via Singapore is a good experience.
It's the best, bar none.

Changi international airport has many attractions (butterfly garden, swimming pool, koi ponds, free cinema, resting places, etc and they just recently added the tallest indoor waterfall) and is a pleasure all around to spend time between connecting flights.
11-06-2019, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #16453
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It's the best, bar none.

Changi international airport has many attractions (butterfly garden, swimming pool, koi ponds, free cinema, resting places, etc and they just recently added the tallest indoor waterfall) and is a pleasure all around to spend time between connecting flights.
Indeed! She said that they even put on a free bus tour of Singapore, including time for shopping, as well as a hotel where you can refresh.
11-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #16454
Pentaxian

Original Poster
She said that they even put on a free bus tour of Singapore, including time for shopping, as well as a hotel where you can refresh.
Yes, but IIRC, one needs a stopover of about six hours to benefit from that. Otherwise, the potential of missing the connection flight is too high.
11-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #16455
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, if you fly singapore airlines, you can add on stop over packages for very little money. Very appealing.

Love the efficiencies of those large airports. Hong Kong was pretty good too, with fast trains into town etc. Singapore is next on my list for sure.