Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #16456
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yes, but IIRC, one needs a stopover of about six hours to benefit from that. Otherwise, the potential of missing the connection flight is too high.
Yes, I think she was there for about 8 hours. Worked great!

11-07-2019, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #16457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's the best, bar none.

Changi international airport has many attractions (butterfly garden, swimming pool, koi ponds, free cinema, resting places, etc and they just recently added the tallest indoor waterfall) and is a pleasure all around to spend time between connecting flights.
Last time I flew Singapore Airlines was 1987, but I keep hearing it's very, very good these days.

The Jewel is a new shopping centre IN the airport that includes that waterfall. My wife and I holidayed in Singapore in April (flying Qantas) and happened to arrive the day it opened. It's incredible to behold. But don't stop at the airport... there are so many great attractions in the city. It was hard work in the heat at times but I absolutely loved our time there.
11-09-2019, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #16458
Pentaxian

Yes, but IIRC, one needs a stopover of about six hours to benefit from that. Otherwise, the potential of missing the connection flight is too high.
I felt the fear of possible missed connection taking my daughter to the UK...the overnight in japan had us huddling in our little high tech room in the hotel at the airport...
all I remember is the grey murk sky, concrete and the superloo

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2019 at 11:56 AM ----------

aaand there is a 20/4.5 Tak on TM...f11 its heaven
11-09-2019, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #16459
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
aaand there is a 20/4.5 Tak on TM...f11 its heaven
Not that any of us are regularly browsing TM looking for Pentax gear...

---------- Post added 10-11-19 at 05:02 PM ----------

Right now the internet is full of reviews and commentary around the new Leica SL2. A very nice camera by all accounts, and having previously owned a 'relatively' cheap Leica camera, I have a soft spot for the brand.

I decided to do a quick exercise this afternoon using B&H prices to see what the difference would be buying the Leica SL2 and a 3 prime kit, verses Pentax K1M2 and a similar 3 prime kit. I used B&H list prices today, converted from the USD total to NZD and added GST. I ignored possible customs fees.

This analysis being a consideration of Leica L-mount primes verses Pentax similar I decided to use the classic 3 Leica prime set 35, 50, 90mm and to price the Leica Summicron (F2) primes. Pentax I took what was on sale on B&H right now, new, Pentax Brand and AF

So, this is what it looks like with prices in USD:

Leica
SL2, $5995, 835g body only
35/2, $4595, 750g
50/2, $4495, 740g
90/2, $5150, 700g

This gives a kit total cost of NZD including GST of $36,675 and 3025g weight

Pentax
K1M2, $1796.95, 925g body only
31/1.8, $1096.95, 346g
50/1.4, $996.95, 910g
77/1.8, $896.95, 270g

This gives a kit total cost of NZD including GST of $8,677 and 2451g weight

With the Pentax kit I think the announced but not yet available 85/1.4 would be a better comparator, and I would personally use my Zeiss 35/2 instead of the Pentax 31/1.8 even though it is manual focus, but they are both fine lenses.

OK, so what?

Well the Leica SL2 is 47MP, mirrorless, good video etc and if the internet is to be believed just the 'bees knees'. The Leica L-mount Summicron Primes are exceptionally nice lenses by all accounts, very good quality images.

The Pentax K1M2 is only 36MP, DSLR and is acknowledged as a very good landscape camera. The Pentax primes are good but perhaps not quite at the Leica L-mount prime level, but from what I read, probably not too far off the image quality.

The price difference is 4X between the Leica and the Pentax kits, which is huge.

Personally, I don't think my photography is any where near the level where I would notice the difference in the images. Not that I own a K1M2, but 36MP seems more than enough MP for my photography requirements.

So, I will be sticking with Pentax for my landscape photography

In terms of size, weight and image quality trade-offs, this analysis again brings to our attention just what phenomenal lenses the 31/1.8 and 77/1.8 are

Cheers

Ross

11-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #16460
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking of lenses... I have no idea what my train of thought was earlier today but a question arose: are there WR primes? The answer, of course, is yes. I was just looking at the the current lens list and 16 out of 42 are WR or AW models. I wonder how those other brands compare on this front?
11-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #16461
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I wonder how those other brands compare on this front?
Better than they used too, especially in the FF category
11-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #16462
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
@ NZ_Ross..... welcome back !!
Looking forward to some more of your magnificent images...

11-09-2019, 11:48 PM   #16463
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
@ NZ_Ross..... welcome back !!
Looking forward to some more of your magnificent images...
Thanks Bob
11-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #16464
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Well the Leica SL2 is 47MP, mirrorless, good video etc and if the internet is to be believed just the 'bees knees'.
Well, it has worse AF performance than the Panasonic S1 series and the latter is already annoying with its "wobble in"/"wobble out" approach to focusing.

I love the rendering of many Leica lenses, and the SL2 has a lovely design and is probably a nice camera to use. However, in terms of AF, given that it relies on CDAF (contrast-detect AF) only, i.e., it neither uses OSPDAF or DFD technology, it gives Pentax a run for its money for the worst AF system in the industry!

Please note that I don't mind Pentax AF at all. It is plenty fast enough for me and I like that it favours accuracy over speed. So please don't put me on record as stating that Pentax has the worst AF system in the industry, I was only playing on how it is commonly perceived.

I would seriously be annoyed by an EVF that threw into my face with digital precision how much the camera is struggling to obtain focus. It has even been reported that the struggle is not just visually annoying but the camera at times even decides to stop focusing before or behind the subject.

In short, I think Leica shine with their glass, not with their (digital) cameras.
11-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #16465
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote

The price difference is 4X between the Leica and the Pentax kits, which is huge.

Personally, I don't think my photography is any where near the level where I would notice the difference in the images. Not that I own a K1M2, but 36MP seems more than enough MP for my photography requirements.

So, I will be sticking with Pentax for my landscape photography

In terms of size, weight and image quality trade-offs, this analysis again brings to our attention just what phenomenal lenses the 31/1.8 and 77/1.8 are

Cheers

Ross
I think for still image photography, Pentax represents excellent value across their range. Additional pixels might sound good on paper, but unless you're producing billboards it probably doesn't matter, and you've got to factor in increased storage and backup costs as well, which although small compared to the cost of a camera system are still a cost, and there are limits to how much internal storage you can get in a laptop.

---------- Post added 11-11-19 at 08:59 AM ----------

Speaking of lenses... I have no idea what my train of thought was earlier today but a question arose: are there WR primes? The answer, of course, is yes. I was just looking at the the current lens list and 16 out of 42 are WR or AW models. I wonder how those other brands compare on this front?
I only have the one - the D-FA 100 2.8 macro.

One thing I notice that stands out with Pentax primes is how compact they tend to be for their focal length/aperture combo. I remember going on a camera club field trip last year before I bought my D-FA 100, and saw a Canon user with a big, bulky 100mm macro, and sort of expected something similar when I bought my D-FA 100, but was pleasantly surprised how small it is.

I understand the D-FA 50 1.4 breaks the mould of smallness, but otherwise, a lot of the primes seem to be very compact.
11-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #16466
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
but unless you're producing billboards it probably doesn't matter
One advantage of high-MP cameras is that they give you better cropping potential.

One doesn't need to be as precise when framing as cropping in later still leaves more than enough MP headroom and if one finds a picture within a picture one can often crop into it while still maintaining a very decent amount of resolution.

Of course such cropping also magnifies lens weaknesses, so it doesn't come for free. Also, it seems questionable to have increased storage demands throughout just for supporting the occasional cropping. But still, I think cropping potential has its advantages, with the most obvious one being the K-1 having the ability to double as a 36MP FF camera and a still decent 16MP (cf. K-5, etc) APS-C camera.
11-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #16467
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
One thing I notice that stands out with Pentax primes is how compact they tend to be for their focal length/aperture combo. I remember going on a camera club field trip last year before I bought my D-FA 100, and saw a Canon user with a big, bulky 100mm macro, and sort of expected something similar when I bought my D-FA 100, but was pleasantly surprised how small it is.

I understand the D-FA 50 1.4 breaks the mould of smallness, but otherwise, a lot of the primes seem to be very compact.
I was ogling the whole range of Star lenses last night and yes the 50 looks quite a bit longer than the poorer cousin I have.
11-10-2019, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #16468
Pentaxian

Original Poster
i was ogling the whole range of star lenses last night and yes the 50 looks quite a bit longer than the poorer cousin i have.
Attachment 473209

P.S.: Bit of a difference exaggeration due to only using a hood on the HD D-FA*, but there is a difference regardless of hoods.

Last edited by Class A; 11-15-2019 at 09:29 PM.
11-11-2019, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #16469
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Attachment 473209

P.S.: Bit of a difference exaggeration due to only using a hood on the HD D-FA*, but there is a difference regardless of hoods.
Cool gif!
11-11-2019, 01:42 AM - 2 Likes   #16470
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We spent a bit of time in Kuratau this weekend, on the way to, and back from the U2 concert up in Auckland. (Where proper cameras were not allowed)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
« GR x GIN Social | - »