Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #16636
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ah yes, knowing what the thing's worth is always the kicker. Problem is, seldom the seller's idea of what something is worth and the buyer's idea of what something's worth will be the same value.
That's a nuance often forgotten. "Worth" is a subjective measure, always.

When we bought our house I asked the seller what he wanted and his answer was so fair that I simply said: "Let's draw up the paperwork." Not often it plays out like that.
Indeed. I am jealous! Although my highest jealousy remains for a friend's parents who, after putting their house on the market, received a phone call from overseas offering "whatever you want for it" to purchase. The buyers were moving back to NZ and the house was well known — mostly due to its owners being wonderful people, but it was also a great dwelling that I remember fondly from the odd game night. Fun fact: the same house now serves as a Dental Surgery, so I still visit it.

02-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #16637
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been having a bit of fun with the 90mm...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #16638
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I've been having a bit of fun with the 90mm...
Bit of purple fringing in there. If you have lightroom you can either apply the auto removal, or in this image just pull the purple colour channel saturation and luminosity down.
Nice and sharp though. Really like that lens.
02-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #16639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Bit of purple fringing in there. If you have lightroom you can either apply the auto removal, or in this image just pull the purple colour channel saturation and luminosity down.
Nice and sharp though. Really like that lens.
Hmmm, I hadn't noticed it but now I can't unsee it. This is out of PhotoLab 3 which should be dealing with it automatically. I have seen it in some other photos with this lens.

Easy enough to address in this image with an adjustment to purples, but not much good if I have a photo of Barney the dinosaur on a zebra crossing.

02-06-2020, 05:34 PM   #16640
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm, I hadn't noticed it but now I can't unsee it. This is out of PhotoLab 3 which should be dealing with it automatically. I have seen it in some other photos with this lens.

Easy enough to address in this image with an adjustment to purples, but not much good if I have a photo of Barney the dinosaur on a zebra crossing.
Crossing what?
02-06-2020, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #16641
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crossing what?
QuoteQuote:
He expanded his chest to make it totally clear that here was the sort of man you only dared to cross if you had a team of Sherpas with you.
-- Douglas Adams (Life, the Universe and Everything)
02-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #16642
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Bit of purple fringing in there.
So I was doing some research — I was sure someone on the (DxO) forums had been talking about purple fringing and there not being enough control. From there I found there is a "Purple fringing" checkbox which was not checked. I thought it did nothing until I realised it is one of the features you can only see the result of if zoomed to at least 75% size in the viewer. By ticking that and also pushing up the other available sliders seems to cure it completely.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
02-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #16643
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Yeah that's the pain point, where say someone is wearing a blue or purple top.

I've been experimenting with 360deg photography recently, using a Xiaomi camera I got from Amazon. It's basically two wide angled GoPro sensors back to back, and when stitched gives you a 360deg photo the likes of Facebook will let you navigate around. On the edges/seams you'll get mean purple fringing due to the angles, so you find yourself ensuring that the main points of interest are at 90deg to the centre of the lens.

I am really prone to the chromatic aberration, to the point that I get basic Resin glasses lens material (rather than fancy polycarbonate etc) because it's got the higher Abbe value.
02-10-2020, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #16644
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I continue to be hugely pleased with the sharpness of texture and detail that DxO PhotoLab 3 can pull out of my photos. I've been reprocessing a lot of old photos and those that had the focus nailed are looking stunning.

This is one of my favourites to show off the detail. Every panel, rivet, and screw. The stresses on the panels from those fasteners. Where fuel or oil has leaked and been blown by slipstream. Where the paint is chipping on the canopy rails. Every stencilled word... I love it. And this was taken with only the 16 megapixels of the K5.

02-10-2020, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #16645
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I continue to be hugely pleased with the sharpness of texture and detail that DxO PhotoLab 3 can pull out of my photos. I've been reprocessing a lot of old photos and those that had the focus nailed are looking stunning.

This is one of my favourites to show off the detail. Every panel, rivet, and screw. The stresses on the panels from those fasteners. Where fuel or oil has leaked and been blown by slipstream. Where the paint is chipping on the canopy rails. Every stencilled word... I love it. And this was taken with only the 16 megapixels of the K5.

That is really very impressive!
02-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #16646
Pentaxian

Sigma 8-16 on TM go go go !
02-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #16647
Pentaxian

trying to resolve my K-1 divestment saga I have had the 8-16 on...playing with square crop and 14mm ff
Just did an internal shot in a caravan...looks like a three bedroom house, i should do real estate
fantastic close focus too that lens
seriously any of you aps-c guys want the best super wide, the sigma is it.
only down side is filter use difficult
02-15-2020, 09:18 PM   #16648
Pentaxian

I continue to be hugely pleased with the sharpness of texture and detail that DxO PhotoLab 3 can pull out of my photos. ....
I'm giving it a go thanks
02-16-2020, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #16649
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
trying to resolve my K-1 divestment saga I have had the 8-16 on...playing with square crop and 14mm ff
I was working in Masterton last week, and met up with Mark Jerling for a coffee on Friday afternoon. It was really good to catch up with him, and hear how much he is enjoying using his K-1, and the quality of results he is getting from it.

I have been sitting on the fence regarding purchasing a K-1, and I am still in no particular hurry - but Marks praise of the sensor and output quality has helped me off the fence
02-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #16650
Pentaxian

Nice camera Ross