Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Nice camera Ross
Thanks Pete

02-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #16652
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
seriously any of you aps-c guys want the best super wide, the sigma is it.

Good to know. Wide on APS-C is the tricky bit.
Reminds me of that Pentax composition adjustment thing, where you can take 4 shots a bit wider than normal, by moving the sensor to each corner of it's SR adjustment limit.
Really wish Pentax would automate that concept.

Haven't used the Pentax much recently, but it did get an outing when we went camping. Need time to develop those photos.

Lately I've been experimenting lately with 360deg cameras.
I got the Xiaomi Mi Sphere camera from Amazon for just over $250 or. It's basically 2x GoPro cameras back to back on a very thin body.
Got the official 'selfie stick' and this is so thin the camera can't see it, so you end up with a viewpoint that's not anchored to you, it's all quite cool.
The Xiaomi is not bad for stills, but is poor ish by today's standards for video (lol sounds familiar as I write that).
You can edit the shots in Lightroom etc too, and it's quite a cool concept for realeastate, where you can basically make your own little google street view type tours.

Also have way too much family footage and projects for other people to edit. Need about a month away from the world to complete all those outstanding projects going back years now!
Here's a small short from a walk along the Rarotonga coast. iPhone 7, GoPro, and Xiaomi Mi Drone which I've since sold as is too involved to fly in most of NZ I visit.

02-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #16653
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Good to know. Wide on APS-C is the tricky bit.
Reminds me of that Pentax composition adjustment thing, where you can take 4 shots a bit wider than normal, by moving the sensor to each corner of it's SR adjustment limit.
Really wish Pentax would automate that concept.

Haven't used the Pentax much recently, but it did get an outing when we went camping. Need time to develop those photos.

Lately I've been experimenting lately with 360deg cameras.
I got the Xiaomi Mi Sphere camera from Amazon for just over $250 or. It's basically 2x GoPro cameras back to back on a very thin body.
Got the official 'selfie stick' and this is so thin the camera can't see it, so you end up with a viewpoint that's not anchored to you, it's all quite cool.
The Xiaomi is not bad for stills, but is poor ish by today's standards for video (lol sounds familiar as I write that).
You can edit the shots in Lightroom etc too, and it's quite a cool concept for realeastate, where you can basically make your own little google street view type tours.

Also have way too much family footage and projects for other people to edit. Need about a month away from the world to complete all those outstanding projects going back years now!
Here's a small short from a walk along the Rarotonga coast. iPhone 7, GoPro, and Xiaomi Mi Drone which I've since sold as is too involved to fly in most of NZ I visit.

Exploring Rarotonga - YouTube
Very nicely done Richard.
02-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #16654
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I was working in Masterton last week, and met up with Mark Jerling for a coffee on Friday afternoon. It was really good to catch up with him, and hear how much he is enjoying using his K-1, and the quality of results he is getting from it.

I have been sitting on the fence regarding purchasing a K-1, and I am still in no particular hurry - but Marks praise of the sensor and output quality has helped me off the fence
Just a pity it's not here for you to have a play with. Lets hope it's not in Japan for too long. (Got a bump and top (plastic) cracked by the flash mount, for those not in the know.)

02-16-2020, 05:50 PM - 2 Likes   #16655
Pentaxian

Thats a bugger Mark
anyone passing the megalopolis of Whangas welcome to purloin mine
02-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #16656
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thats a bugger Mark
Same offer for anyone passing Welly.

The K-1 is truly wonderful.
02-16-2020, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #16657
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thats a bugger Mark
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Same offer for anyone passing Welly.

The K-1 is truly wonderful.
Thank you for the kind offers gents - I will keep them in mind

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Here's a small short from a walk along the Rarotonga coast
Really nice footage Rich, makes me want to go to Raro

02-16-2020, 10:56 PM   #16658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I have been sitting on the fence regarding purchasing a K-1, and I am still in no particular hurry - but Marks praise of the sensor and output quality has helped me off the fence
Any time I get off a fence there's a good chance I'll face plant in the grass. I try not to think how much money I've spent on (non-Pentax) tech that has proven to be the wrong choice for me. I still want to do video but have learned it will be a pricey foray to get what I want. And if I solve that, the computer I now have won't cut it.

I'm giving it a go thanks
Feel free to ping me any questions. There's a decent enough forum on their site where you can read up about some of it, too. Like how the highlight slider is not what people expect.

The one thing to be sure you explore is getting the Optics Modules for your camera/lens combos. Anything modern won't be a problem, but none of my M lenses are available and the F35-70 is sadly also not available. There is one for the 90mm macro I just got, which was a significant factor in my purchase decision for the lens.
02-17-2020, 03:01 AM - 2 Likes   #16659
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thats a bugger Mark
Naaaa it would be prying it from cold lifeless fingers here!
02-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #16660
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote

Feel free to ping me any questions. There's a decent enough forum on their site where you can read up about some of it, too. Like how the highlight slider is not what people expect.

The one thing to be sure you explore is getting the Optics Modules for your camera/lens combos. Anything modern won't be a problem, but none of my M lenses are available and the F35-70 is sadly also not available. There is one for the 90mm macro I just got, which was a significant factor in my purchase decision for the lens.
cool thanks
02-24-2020, 12:19 AM   #16661
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was discussing elsewhere online that Pentax's DSLR bodies are all weatherproofed, along with selected lenses. It occurred to me that I've only once used one in the rain, and that was essentially unintentional (getting caught out by a shower) and the result was unremarkable.

Does anyone have any photos that they got because of the WR nature of the camera and lens, and which show those conditions?
02-24-2020, 01:03 AM   #16662
Pentaxian

That 8-16 now down to $375 ! seriously guys someone snag it, you won't be sorry

Last edited by Transit; 02-24-2020 at 01:55 AM.
02-24-2020, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #16663
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was discussing elsewhere online that Pentax's DSLR bodies are all weatherproofed, along with selected lenses. It occurred to me that I've only once used one in the rain, and that was essentially unintentional (getting caught out by a shower) and the result was unremarkable.

Does anyone have any photos that they got because of the WR nature of the camera and lens, and which show those conditions?
I have a few shots in the rain. But it is the peace of mind that matters. Last weekend I just did two 6 hour days tramping through dripping sub alpine forest in the kaimanawa forest. (Cascade hut). K1 near the top of my wet pack at the ready. Note that the WR of the camera is largely negated by my old lenses if free running water is encountered - but still peace of mind. Mossy shot A28 2.8. Whio courtesy of a 55 year old Nestar 400mm (Tamron). Cropped to under apsc.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #16664
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice shots Gub

---------- Post added 02-25-20 at 08:25 AM ----------

Not entirely sure, would have to look back. For me it's more a peace of mind thing that I'm not worried if it does start to rain.
Have used at the likes of kids sports activities, when most other cameras are being rushed away.
02-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #16665
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That 8-16 now down to $375 ! seriously guys someone snag it, you won't be sorry
There are a few nice Pentax lenses on Trademe at the moment. It's certainly tempting.