Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2020, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #16666
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I was discussing elsewhere online that Pentax's DSLR bodies are all weatherproofed, along with selected lenses. It occurred to me that I've only once used one in the rain, and that was essentially unintentional (getting caught out by a shower) and the result was unremarkable.

Does anyone have any photos that they got because of the WR nature of the camera and lens, and which show those conditions?
Shooting a cycle race finish in the pouring rain. Canon photog had plastic bag around his camera.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
02-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #16667
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I have a few shots in the rain. But it is the peace of mind that matters. Last weekend I just did two 6 hour days tramping through dripping sub alpine forest in the kaimanawa forest. (Cascade hut). K1 near the top of my wet pack at the ready. Note that the WR of the camera is largely negated by my old lenses if free running water is encountered - but still peace of mind. Mossy shot A28 2.8. Whio courtesy of a 55 year old Nestar 400mm (Tamron). Cropped to under apsc.
Love the whio shot!

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Shooting a cycle race finish in the pouring rain. Canon photog had plastic bag around his camera.
I'm starting to see some other brands mention weather protection but only on certain models. I once got rained on at a bike race (downhill mountain) but the camera (with non-WR lens) was firmly ensconced in its bag by then. Just as well as despite my squall jacket I was soaked to the skin. Never seen heavier rain before or since. At least the inside of the bag was mostly dry.
02-26-2020, 02:07 AM   #16668
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the whio shot!

I'm starting to see some other brands mention weather protection but only on certain models. I once got rained on at a bike race (downhill mountain) but the camera (with non-WR lens) was firmly ensconced in its bag by then. Just as well as despite my squall jacket I was soaked to the skin. Never seen heavier rain before or since. At least the inside of the bag was mostly dry.
Got wet like that up in Auckland. Took everything out of the bag that night and dried it out empty. The gear was fine, but the bag was a bit damp.
03-03-2020, 12:33 AM   #16669
Pentaxian

Love the whio shot!
I reckon !

03-05-2020, 12:22 AM   #16670
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had no idea that there were whio on north island rivers. For some reason I had it in my head they were all down south.

A RECORD-BREAKING 87 whio/ blue ducklings have been found in 8 rivers on Mount Taranaki!
03-05-2020, 01:46 AM   #16671
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are in a surprising lot of places. I have seen one in the streams of Ruapehu up at the tree line. In at Waihaha hut Pureora Forest, In several places in the Waitotara forests west of the Wanganui river. This is the second time i saw them at Cascade Hut in the Kaimanawas. The most accessable place you can often see them is at the Ruatiti Domain on the Manganui-oteao River.
03-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #16672
Pentaxian

I had no idea that there were whio on north island rivers. For some reason I had it in my head they were all down south.

A RECORD-BREAKING 87 whio/ blue ducklings have been found in 8 rivers on Mount Taranaki!
Hehe I had no idea they were anywhere apart from the Manganui oteao

03-09-2020, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #16673
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
+1 in the Kaimanawas. Seen a few times over the years when fishing in the Mohaka river at various points. Quite often in the company of paradise ducks.
03-13-2020, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #16674
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Distribution and habitat

The blue duck is endemic to New Zealand and present in the North and South Islands only. Its pre-human range extended from high altitude tarns, lakes and rivers to segments of bush-edged lowland rivers and lakes. It is now patchily distributed in rivers in forested headwater catchments along the axial ranges of both islands. Here and there it extends downriver from these refugia into waters of modest gradient (50-80 m fall per km) provided riparian forest persists and the river runs clean.

Principal physical correlates of habitat presently occupied include a stable river channel, coarse riverbed substrata, high water clarity, narrow stream/river widths, shallow river margins, pool and riffle sequences and forested river margins.

Population

A slow and insidious contraction of blue duck range continues, especially in remote South Island areas (parts of Fiordland, West Coast, and northwest Nelson) while some substantial population increases have occurred recently in selected areas where persistent and extensive riverside predator control is practised (western central North Island rivers, northern Te Urewera, Motueka region, Paparoa, Te Anau-Milford area). There is a high prevalence of unpaired males on rivers without predator control. The breeding population is unlikely to be more than 1000 pairs (2011 estimate).
From NZ Birds Online.
03-23-2020, 12:22 AM - 2 Likes   #16675
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hey, just wanted to say I hope everyone is well set to bunker down for a month.

Stay safe all.
03-23-2020, 12:36 AM   #16676

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Hey, just wanted to say I hope everyone is well set to bunker down for a month.

Stay safe all.
I work on an apple orchard in Hawkes Bay, we're regarded as essential because it's food production, so we are still working. We are about half way through the harvest and there are 80+ people there most days, 6 days a week. This lock down may not affect us much (except bottle stores aren't considered essential - no spirits will be available)
03-23-2020, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #16677
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No spirits but.... you have apples !!
Traditional Scrumpy comes near to spirituous liquor...

How to Make Rough Cider | Down South Farm
03-23-2020, 01:27 AM   #16678
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just more of the same isolation out here on the farm. Just that there is no escape from it now. Wife is an ICU nurse so keeping a safe home environment for her (and thru her the patients) means I better behave myself!
03-23-2020, 01:29 AM   #16679
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
No spirits but.... you have apples !!
Traditional Scrumpy comes near to spirituous liquor...

How to Make Rough Cider | Down South Farm
How is it going Bob? Laying off the cider yourself?
03-23-2020, 03:29 AM - 2 Likes   #16680
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
More or less the same as usual for me, as I work from home anyway, just I'll have my wife and daughter home as well.
Unfortunately that apple cider recipe comes a bit late to go and acquire equipment. I have a very heavily laden red delicious here. Oh well, apple pie, apple crumble, apple shortcake, roast pork with apple, for the next four weeks till I look as round as an apple.