Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2020, 09:42 PM   #16786
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If the paper road and the track don't follow the same route, you may well have some power to stop them should they ever try. Feel free to PM me and I can look into it for you in more detail if you want.
The problem is the paper road goes over a cliff, and so the track to the river was rerouted through the family property decades ago as a result of instability along the top of the cliff. Mum paid for a survey to confirm the boundaries of the property a few years ago when the contracting company applied for a consent to use the track to extract shingle from the riverbed, and the survey clearly showed the track goes through the property, but at the resource consent hearing, the judge said the survey was wrong (but gave no evidence why, and no one else presented any alternative survey), and I understand the contracting company sort of implied that some native trees might end up horizontal if there was any objection to their heavy traffic, although fortunately they've never used their consent, and hopefully it will expire.
There's other access to the river a couple of kilometres down stream, that wouldn't interfere with anyone, so I don't know why they don't use that.
I spent a lot of time roaming around there with a camera. My first ever photos were taken there with a toy camera with a plastic lens, and turned out to be the last photos of my grandmother alive before she was killed by a drunk driver.
Later, I used to roam the riverbed with my first Pentax mount camera that I was given for my 15th birthday.
It's a bit disturbing to look at my photographic record of how in a few decades, what was a braided, shingle riverbed with lots of nesting birds, has reduced to just about a single channel, with the riverbed overgrown with broom and willows.

05-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #16787
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
The problem is the paper road goes over a cliff, and so the track to the river was rerouted through the family property decades ago as a result of instability along the top of the cliff. Mum paid for a survey to confirm the boundaries of the property a few years ago when the contracting company applied for a consent to use the track to extract shingle from the riverbed, and the survey clearly showed the track goes through the property, but at the resource consent hearing, the judge said the survey was wrong (but gave no evidence why, and no one else presented any alternative survey), and I understand the contracting company sort of implied that some native trees might end up horizontal if there was any objection to their heavy traffic, although fortunately they've never used their consent, and hopefully it will expire.
There's other access to the river a couple of kilometres down stream, that wouldn't interfere with anyone, so I don't know why they don't use that.
I spent a lot of time roaming around there with a camera. My first ever photos were taken there with a toy camera with a plastic lens, and turned out to be the last photos of my grandmother alive before she was killed by a drunk driver.
Later, I used to roam the riverbed with my first Pentax mount camera that I was given for my 15th birthday.
It's a bit disturbing to look at my photographic record of how in a few decades, what was a braided, shingle riverbed with lots of nesting birds, has reduced to just about a single channel, with the riverbed overgrown with broom and willows.
Assuming the survey was done by a Registered Land Surveyor, then no judge should have declared a survey "wrong" without evidence proving it wrong. If the track (definitely) crosses onto your mom's property then, technically, it's trespass if they attempt to use the part of the track on your mom's property. Unless the survey defines the boundary to the property in terms of the formed road (the track) in which case, if the formed road moves, then potentially, so does the boundary, but cases like that are exceedingly rare. Survey records will show the (true) boundaries very accurately, even if very old and if the track was routed through your mom's property without her authority then that does not give them access as of right. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to look into it in more detail.
05-05-2020, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #16788
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
...and really nice bush in the centre of the city.
Understatement of the year!

Otari-Wilton's Bush is magical!
05-06-2020, 01:05 AM - 2 Likes   #16789
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Understatement of the year!

Otari-Wilton's Bush is magical!
I am pleased you like it. I have always enjoyed visiting there over the years.

I am a descendent of Job Wilton (1834-1916), who preserved the original bush in that location.

05-06-2020, 09:59 PM   #16790
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
My wider families contribution is Otari-Wiltons Bush in Wellington. They (the Wiltons) owned the surrounding farm and decided to preserve the Bush. It still remains, and is now under the management of Wellington City Council. Pretty far sighted for the time, but a very nice place to spend some time in, and really nice bush in the centre of the city. We played in it when we were kids visiting relatives in Wellington - lots of good memories.
Missed this post previously. I don't go to Otari-Wiltons nearly as often as I should, especially given how close it is — only a 20 minute drive away.

I just looked up the history. 1860! Far-sighted indeed.
05-08-2020, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #16791
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I don't go to Otari-Wiltons nearly as often as I should, especially given how close it is — only a 20 minute drive away.
Feel free to flick me a PM next time you are going and want to chat about life as a Pentaxian. I can bring along some of my gear as well.
05-09-2020, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #16792
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am reminded of a humorous tweet I saw the other day...

"If you could sacrifice one state to rid the USA of Corona Virus, which would it be, and why Florida?"
It's been a stupid week over here that brings that comment into sharp relief. Before New York became a graveyard, thousands of people were on Florida's beaches. Many there to escape winter in their home state. They frolicked in the waves. Then they went home.

Why would any sane person want to keep a green mamba as a pet? I have first-hand knowledge of those and I think if you've ever hoped to meet a snake with a nasty disposition then the green mamba may be quite near the top of the list.

I did have a wee laugh at that fellow who, according to the report, got "bitten" by a scorpion. Scorpions don't bite, they sting. Mostly, it feels like a bee sting, sometimes, but rarely, it feels quite a bit worse.
Ah, classic lack of journalistic checks - I did chuckle as well. I honestly don't know, but some people like to have tigers and lions, etc. Human condition. We have a place here in the city called reptilia (the death emporium). One green mamba. The only difference is if the snake escapes here, it's got a maximum of 3 months to live:

Green Death
by Aaron, on Flickr

05-09-2020, 07:42 PM - 2 Likes   #16793
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
One green mamba
Beaut-iful plumage!
05-09-2020, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #16794
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Beaut-iful plumage!

Beaut-iful scaleage !
05-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #16795
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
It's been a stupid week over here that brings that comment into sharp relief. Before New York became a graveyard, thousands of people were on Florida's beaches. Many there to escape winter in their home state. They frolicked in the waves. Then they went home.

Ah, classic lack of journalistic checks - I did chuckle as well. I honestly don't know, but some people like to have tigers and lions, etc. Human condition. We have a place here in the city called reptilia (the death emporium). One green mamba. The only difference is if the snake escapes here, it's got a maximum of 3 months to live:

Green Death
by Aaron, on Flickr
I had my first encounter with one of those when I was about six. The snake was after a chamelion and the chamelion, in order to escape, baled out of the tree, landing directly next to me, where I was lying unter the tree, with the snake in hot pursuit. I'm not sure who moved fastest - me or the mamba! They are incredibly fast, especially when up in a tree. I've seen one launch itself from one tree to another with the two trees foliage a good metre apart.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 05-11-2020 at 11:39 PM.
05-11-2020, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #16796
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe I could take proper pichas if I had it
SMC Pentax-A* 85mm f1.4 Lens | Trade Me
05-11-2020, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #16797
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Bit rich for me.
05-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #16798
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I'm sure it's a nice lens, but the price is a little bit steep for me, and I have a nice Tamron 90mm 2.8 that's a little bit longer and a bit slower, but also has macro, auto-focus, takes very nice pictures, and cost a little over 10% of the buy now price, and it looks like you can buy a brand new FA-77 1.8 limited for less.
05-12-2020, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #16799
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Bit rich for me.
Yeah, nah.

It's a pass from me as well.
05-12-2020, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #16800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beaut-iful plumage!
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Beaut-iful scaleage !
Cheers! The emerald green was pretty stunning. I have to say that the K-5IIs and 18-135mm did have great colour.

I had my first encounter with one of those when I was about six. The snake was after a chamelion and the chamelion, in order to escape, baled out of the tree, landing directly next to me, where I was lying unter the tree, with the snake in hot pursuit. I'm not sure who moved fastest - me or the mamba! They are incredibly fast, especially when up in a tree. I've seen one launch itself from one tree to another with the two trees foliage a good metre apart.
That's a great memory, and they are amazing animals. However, that sort of thing is a good reason for heart attacks and the like. The snakes where I am are (with one minor exception) non-venomous. They can get big though. and our dog managed to walk over a big water snake a couple of years back that made all of us wake up pretty quick. Just on the grass sunning itself next to a boat ramp. Between 1 and 1.5M long.