Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2020, 08:03 PM   #16846
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
Pricing on the DFA85 directly from Ian R Little (I'm actually a little surprised I got such a quick response).

$3214.25 including GST.
Ouch. But not that bad compared to USA price.

06-03-2020, 12:00 AM   #16847
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Just to jump in here, interesting Ross, and I get you on the landscapes. I eventually decided not to go for the G9 as it was a bit big for travel that I anticipated, but I need a smallish hybrid solution for travel and for some video at work. My jobsites include facilities in Canada's newest industry and being discrete, and with the ability to wipe/wash down is important. I'm actually looking and the E-M5 that will amalgamate my Fuji, Pocket Panasonic and potentially the GR.
Nice to hear from you Clarkey. I trust all is well with you and yours over there in Canada.

It is definitely 'horses for courses' with cameras at the moment. I have been happy with the video I am getting out of the G9, and the stills, and haven't found the weight to be a factor, but there are plenty of other cameras around that can do a similar job.

---------- Post added 03-06-20 at 07:02 PM ----------

$3214.25 including GST.
Definitely feels like a reasonably competitive price, but still too much for me at the moment
06-03-2020, 03:06 AM   #16848
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote

The question I still need to resolve is which camera I take for international travel - but it is not a pressing question right at the moment.
There certainly isn't going to be a lot of that going on for a while.

I've been tossing up whether to buy a DA 16-85 as a travel lens. It seems to get very good reviews, and although it's not particularly fast although that's not really an issue for landscapes, and it's weather sealed and has a wide enough zoom range to just about not need to carry other lenses. The k-70 is reasonably compact and that would make a reasonable travel kit. I might be tempted to travel with the D-FA 100 2.8 macro as well but that's not overly bulky either. They'd certainly be a good combination for getting out and about in NZ's wilderness which is what my travel is likely to be for a while.

I'd love to have time to do video, but I barely have time to spend on the still images I take, so I'm not going to worry about lack of video capability.
06-03-2020, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #16849
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'd also be keen on teaming up for a group buy.
Cool, I'll write you a PM.

06-03-2020, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #16850
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice to hear from you Clarkey. I trust all is well with you and yours over there in Canada.

It is definitely 'horses for courses' with cameras at the moment. I have been happy with the video I am getting out of the G9, and the stills, and haven't found the weight to be a factor, but there are plenty of other cameras around that can do a similar job.

---------- Post added 03-06-20 at 07:02 PM ----------

Definitely feels like a reasonably competitive price, but still too much for me at the moment
Hi, Ross
All good thanks in the high-density COVID capital of Canada (west end of Toronto and Brampton are apparently the worst in Ontario by a long shot). We've overtaken Quebec in the last couple of days - our rate is actually increasing right now (as the idiots are outside and interacting). We've today been extended for another month, which is terrible in the limited summer we have.

Yes, most current cameras offer practically the same imaging performance in daylight, and weight/bulk is a big deal for me, probably for the same reasons as you. However (as I have learned with the X-T20, never had an issue with the X-E1), so is the comfort. IMO Fujifilm started well with their lens system but (apart from the weather sealed F2 primes) their sealed gear is way too big/heavy for what it is. I toyed with a Z6, but I have better things to spend money on right now. Also awaiting the next Pentax APS-C flagship, likely to make a decision then.

---------- Post added 06-03-2020 at 06:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Cool experiences Clarkey. I do have a vague recollection of a couple of Skyhawks paying us a visit in Mangles Valley near Murchison one summer holiday as a kid. One of my bucket list items is a visit to the Mach Loop in Wales.

Yes, the RAF and RAAF did well out of the disbandment.
Many thanks! It's funny you should say that - I spent a bit of time in the Brecon Beacons in South Wales, and saw the Mach Loop advertised - missed opportunity for sure! I'd love to go back.
06-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #16851
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was born less than 25km south of the Beacons - very beautiful in good weather but oh so bleak in bad.
06-03-2020, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #16852
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I was born less than 25km south of the Beacons - very beautiful in good weather but oh so bleak in bad.
Sounds like Wellington

06-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #16853
Pentaxian

Talk about small world. My camera club has an annual interclub competition with the Hay camera club based in Hay on Wye, right on the edge of the Brecon Beacons, as one of our former members who has sadly since passed away came from there.
06-03-2020, 11:44 PM   #16854
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sounds like Wellington
Or Timaru...
06-04-2020, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #16855
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Or Timaru...
Mate!! you should know the sun almost always shines here

It's like paradise, just we try not to tell to many people. We are modest like that...

---------- Post added 04-06-20 at 07:51 PM ----------

Hi, Ross
All good thanks in the high-density COVID capital of Canada
That is good to hear Clarkey, stay safe and well

We've today been extended for another month, which is terrible in the limited summer we have.
That is not so good, a long time to be shut in

Yes, most current cameras offer practically the same imaging performance in daylight, and weight/bulk is a big deal for me, probably for the same reasons as you. However (as I have learned with the X-T20, never had an issue with the X-E1), so is the comfort. IMO Fujifilm started well with their lens system but (apart from the weather sealed F2 primes) their sealed gear is way too big/heavy for what it is. I toyed with a Z6, but I have better things to spend money on right now. Also awaiting the next Pentax APS-C flagship, likely to make a decision then.
There are definitely lots of choices
06-04-2020, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #16856
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a nephew living near Hay-on-Wye; we were there before the lockdown.

And it was very sunny when we were in Wellington; yes, beautiful.
06-04-2020, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #16857
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a nephew living near Hay-on-Wye; we were there before the lockdown.

And it was very sunny when we were in Wellington; yes, beautiful.
There Ross ! :-) Your lockdown curtailing of the normal 'jet-setting Ross ' has given you a distorted view of the local Timaruvian conditions...having nothing to compare with ...
06-04-2020, 02:49 AM   #16858
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
There Ross ! :-) Your lockdown curtailing of the normal 'jet-setting Ross ' has given you a distorted view of the local Timaruvian conditions...having nothing to compare with ...
You could be right Bob...I too have been in Wellington on beautiful days when the sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and all was well with the world
06-05-2020, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #16859
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed! It was nice in summer for sure, but I can see it cut up pretty bad other times. Geez, these are already 20 years or so ago.

Beautiful conditions (I was rocking an APS-C minolta outfit just after 2000:

Wild ponies
by Aaron, on Flickr

by Aaron, on Flickr

Black mountains:

Black Mountains
by Aaron, on Flickr

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Talk about small world. My camera club has an annual interclub competition with the Hay camera club based in Hay on Wye, right on the edge of the Brecon Beacons, as one of our former members who has sadly since passed away came from there.
Hay-on-Wye is an awesome town. My favourite was Abergavenny though. I used to pass through there on my way up the hill to work at Blaenavon. A fair bit of RAF tornado action there, too.

Over Abergavenny
by Aaron, on Flickr

Ruined
by Aaron, on Flickr
06-05-2020, 10:10 PM   #16860
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My favourite was Abergavenny though. I used to pass through there on my way up the hill to work at Blaenavon. A fair bit of RAF tornado action there, too.
Good grief. There's that shrinking world again. A chap I know only online but with whom I have been conversing for many years now, grew up in Abergavenny and then joined the RAF, though he was never in Tornados that I know of.