Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2020, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #16891
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
@MarkJerling
QuoteQuote:
The money's not worth writing home about but it's a nice feeling, and will buy a few bottles of wine!
Not altogether less than useful

Though your 'click and collect' may be habit forming...

(As a child listening to this on the 'top 40' radio I imagined them as unkempt bearded hippies and was totally shocked to find such clean-cut lads many years later.)

Last edited by bobD; 06-25-2020 at 11:00 PM.
06-26-2020, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #16892
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If any of you are feeling rich: Pentax D654Z set | Trade Me

Bit rich for me.
Me also, tempted as I am by digital MF. I would need to be taking far more photos with the 67 before I even thought about going this way.
06-27-2020, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #16893
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a bit cold and wet down here today, but interesting events often don't wait for fine weather.

There was a whale stranding at Caroline Bay today, first one I can remember in the 38 years I have lived in Timaru. Despite the weather there were heaps of people down at the Bay having a look.

I took the K-3 and HD 55-300 WR down to take some pictures, with a few shared below. Very happy with the high quality WR capability of Pentax gear on days like today.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-27-2020, 11:21 PM   #16894
Pentaxian

It is too beached...

It will succumb ...

Then some pr*ck with a chainsaw and no love will appear (or perhaps 'not appear' under cover of darkness)

06-27-2020, 11:33 PM   #16895
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
It is too beached...

It will succumb ...
Yes, I thought so too. High tide is about 9:30pm tonight, so if they can get it off it will be then.
06-27-2020, 11:56 PM   #16896
Pentaxian

They see it as 'their dog' but it is an iceberg...

Plenty of people around giving love and hugs without having any idea of the reason it beached... :-(

it is old, it is ill, it is beyond saving,...let it be..
06-28-2020, 12:44 AM - 3 Likes   #16897
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

They see it as 'their dog' but it is an iceberg...

Plenty of people around giving love and hugs without having any idea of the reason it beached... :-(

it is old, it is ill, it is beyond saving,...let it be..
Good news is it has swum back out to sea on the rising tide. So all good news there so far. Without help.

06-28-2020, 01:36 AM   #16898
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Good news is it has swum back out to sea on the rising tide. So all good news there so far. Without help.
heck Ross that's pretty amazing he/she looked done for.
Nice all the people in the tide with it
must be nice having a WR lens alright !

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2020 at 08:38 PM ----------

It is too beached...

It will succumb ...

Then some pr*ck with a chainsaw and no love will appear (or perhaps 'not appear' under cover of darkness)
I imagine the Iwi have a process involving love
06-28-2020, 03:26 AM   #16899
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
heck Ross that's pretty amazing he/she looked done for.
Nice all the people in the tide with it
must be nice having a WR lens alright !
Thanks Pete - I think they were mainly Project Jonah people who attend whale strandings. The main crowd were behind cones, with a good police presence there also. It was all pretty orderly while I was there.

Really good result so far.

Having WR lenses is really helpful when it is wet, as you don't need to worry about the gear. Just had the hood on to keep the front element from getting rain spots on it, and everything is good.
06-29-2020, 11:56 PM   #16900
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I've learned which trees they like to hang out in in my back garden, and I can also pick out their chirping in the area, even if they're not in full song. Then... I can usually get them close simply by playing their song loud on my phone. One other tip my father taught me... if you hear one in the vicinity, it is usually about half the distance away you think it is from the sound.
In addition to playing them music perhaps a big telephoto would be very useful for both the birdies and the planes. I hope you have been saving your pennies recently
06-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #16901
Pentaxian

Just a heads up that Adobe Portfolio is now free for a limited time.

Adobe Portfolio | Build your own personalized website
06-30-2020, 07:40 PM - 2 Likes   #16902
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All this talk of wildlife, and my daughter just came in and showed me photos of a tui sitting in shrubs along the fence line she'd taken with my old K-x. They're not totally sharp, as it's a grey day and she hasn't learnt about the implications of shutter speed and aperture yet, but she didn't do badly for 8 years old. I'm seriously envious, as it's the first time I think we've ever had a tui in the garden here in Blenheim.
I'm glad I kept the K-x as it's a bit more beginner friendly with options on the dial for landscape, action, portrait, etc, which I'd never use myself, but are easy to explain to an 8 year old. Aperture priority, shutter priorty, or somthing like Tav mode are probably a bit harder to explain.

---------- Post added 07-01-20 at 02:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Just a heads up that Adobe Portfolio is now free for a limited time.

Adobe Portfolio | Build your own personalized website
Are they trying to get people to quit their Photography plan subscriptions?

I actually thought that was one of the most under-used features of the plan. Photoshop, Lightroom, and up to 5 portfolio websites included with a subscription.
Sure, the range of layouts are limited, but for a lot of photographers that want a simple website, it's pretty good value, as there's no need to go off and pay for web hosting elsewhere.
It's possible to connect a domain name as well.
07-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #16903
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Having WR lenses is really helpful when it is wet, as you don't need to worry about the gear. Just had the hood on to keep the front element from getting rain spots on it, and everything is good.
It's also fun when you're around other photographers using "other brands" who have plastic bags and other affordances. The few times I've had mine out in the weather in company I got some interesting glances.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I'm seriously envious, as it's the first time I think we've ever had a tui in the garden here in Blenheim.
I find that so weird. Wellington is a much busier place and we have oodles of tui around including a few in the city. It's not like humans have food they like. Are there perhaps less trees they like in Marlborough, or in Blenheim itself?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I'm glad I kept the K-x as it's a bit more beginner friendly with options on the dial for landscape, action, portrait, etc, which I'd never use myself, but are easy to explain to an 8 year old. Aperture priority, shutter priorty, or somthing like Tav mode are probably a bit harder to explain.
That was the route I took to really understand the modes. I'd been taught the detail earlier but I just used the "scene modes" on my MZ-50. Then after some time I started to work out what those scene modes were doing so I could better select them for my shots. That eventually lead to using the standard modes.
07-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #16904
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I find that so weird. Wellington is a much busier place and we have oodles of tui around including a few in the city. It's not like humans have food they like. Are there perhaps less trees they like in Marlborough, or in Blenheim itself?
Blenheim is a bit short of suitable vegetation, whereas Wellington has bush all around. I have a lot of trees in my garden much to my wife's frustration, as they need constant pruning, and there are nearby eucalyptus trees that provide nectar, but the hills on the southern edge of town are relatively bare, although there is a good amount of native vegetation in a valley within walking distance of home, although it's more dry land scrub than forest, with flax, cabbage trees, kānuka and mānuka and a decent amount of tauhinu.
The nearest native bush proper is over 10km to the north of town.
07-01-2020, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #16905
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My latest Trademe purchase has just turned up. A brand new (new old stock) Pentax SFXn. Maybe I should stop buying SFXn bodies, but this one was just too good to pass up. Plus it came with a 35-105mm lens. I have a few 35-70mm lenses but no 35-105.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-01-2020 at 05:54 PM.