Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I suspect the 3d camera on the table comes from this stable
Definitely some interesting kit there.

07-03-2020, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #16922
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My latest Trademe purchase has just turned up.
The SFXn will need to wait until I get to Wellington to buy some film.
I was trying to figure out where the SD card went. What is this "film" stuff of which you speak?

I still have my Dad's ME and ME.F bodies but have no desire to do anything with them.
07-05-2020, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #16923
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I was trying to figure out where the SD card went. What is this "film" stuff of which you speak?
Wait until you start buying vinyl!
07-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #16924
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buying vinyl?! I've only recently got rid of mine! 🤣

07-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #16925
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait until you start buying vinyl!
Ah, right. So film gives a "warmer tone" then?

Any tips on how to level the camera so the frames don't skip?

Sorry, sir. I'll move off the grass now. With my newfangled CDs and SDs.
07-05-2020, 01:42 PM   #16926
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Buying vinyl?! I've only recently got rid of mine! 🤣
How could you!
07-05-2020, 01:42 PM   #16927
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, right. So film gives a "warmer tone" then?

Any tips on how to level the camera so the frames don't skip?

Sorry, sir. I'll move off the grass now. With my newfangled CDs and SDs.
Oh, the youth of today.

07-05-2020, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #16928
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How could you!
Dead easy, Mark - I got tired of clicks, pops, hiss, crackles, scratches, wow, flutter, whoosh, cutting lathe rumble, end of side distortion, crosstalk ... ! Even the fabled 'analogue glow' is AKA harmonic distortion. The problem with the kind of stuff that I listen to (largely orchestral) is that it can all either end very loudly at the end of a side - the worst place for it on vinyl, with the stylus having real difficulty staying in the groove - or can end very, very quietly, in fact sometimes so quietly that it's difficult to hear when it's all finished over the crackle and swoosh of the run-out groove.

Now where's me tin hat?
07-05-2020, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #16929
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dead easy, Mark - I got tired of clicks, pops, hiss, crackles, scratches, wow, flutter, whoosh, cutting lathe rumble, end of side distortion, crosstalk ... ! Even the fabled 'analogue glow' is AKA harmonic distortion. The problem with the kind of stuff that I listen to (largely orchestral) is that it can all either end very loudly at the end of a side - the worst place for it on vinyl, with the stylus having real difficulty staying in the groove - or can end very, very quietly, in fact sometimes so quietly that it's difficult to hear when it's all finished over the crackle and swoosh of the run-out groove.

Now where's me tin hat?
It's been some years since I've heard a true aficionado talk of "wow", "flutter", "end of side distortion" and "crosstalk"! And all in once sentence no less! Well done.
The answer, as you know, is that you need to spend a car's price on a better turntable, have it all sit on a 2 ton concrete block in the middle of your living room, and feed the signal to the speakers with hand woven gold braid.
Or, you come to realise, as have I, that my ears are nothing like they used to be and none of it matters!

There's got to be a support group for this stuff!
07-05-2020, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #16930
Pentaxian

Original Poster
...with the stylus having real difficulty staying in the groove...
Ah, the famous Telarc recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture, causing styluses to jump out of the groove with excitement.
07-05-2020, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #16931
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, the youth of today.
It's been a while since someone called me that... I'll take it!
07-06-2020, 07:17 AM - 2 Likes   #16932
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aficianado - thanks! Don't get me wrong, I really used to enjoy the aesthetic pleasure of placing a vinyl disc onto my deck, which was a reasonably high-end unit bought in the early 1970s: a Thorens TD160 fitted with a SME3009 fixed-head tonearm carrying a Shure V15-III cartridge. But even brand-new LPs were so variable in their condition that when thy were played, regardless of how careful one was, any extraneous noises such as clicks or pops only led to the knowledge that they would occur again next time you played it, and therefore the dreaded anticipation as the instant drew nearer. I can't remember the number of discs I took back to my local shop asking for one that wasn't so noisy. Quiet passages were very exposed, and even loud passages had their own challenges; for example the opening of Beethoven's Fifth which you could hear twice - once a second or two before the real thing because of the pre-echo. (Forgot to mention that previously!)

But then with the promise of no background noise, I couldn't embrace CD fast enough when it came out in the early 80s. Digital got a bad rep back in those days, but the issue with over-brightness was with the engineering, not the medium.
07-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #16933
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But then with the promise of no background noise, I couldn't embrace CD fast enough when it came out in the early 80s. Digital got a bad rep back in those days, but the issue with over-brightness was with the engineering, not the medium.
I never owned any vinyl. Aside from Mum & Dad's collection, my (older) sister had a reasonable selection that were more to my taste. As a kid I had a Walkman and about a dozen cassettes, but right as I joined the workforce the CD was coming to the fore and I bought my first CD before I bought my first CD player! Listening to Jean-Michel Jarre's Rendezvous on headphones (no speakers or amp yet) late at night in my room was pure magic.
07-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #16934
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never owned any vinyl.
I'm sure that's English but your sentence makes absolutely no sense to me!
07-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #16935
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aficianado - thanks! Don't get me wrong, I really used to enjoy the aesthetic pleasure of placing a vinyl disc onto my deck, which was a reasonably high-end unit bought in the early 1970s: a Thorens TD160 fitted with a SME3009 fixed-head tonearm carrying a Shure V15-III cartridge. But even brand-new LPs were so variable in their condition that when thy were played, regardless of how careful one was, any extraneous noises such as clicks or pops only led to the knowledge that they would occur again next time you played it, and therefore the dreaded anticipation as the instant drew nearer. I can't remember the number of discs I took back to my local shop asking for one that wasn't so noisy. Quiet passages were very exposed, and even loud passages had their own challenges; for example the opening of Beethoven's Fifth which you could hear twice - once a second or two before the real thing because of the pre-echo. (Forgot to mention that previously!)

It will all be better in the warm glow of EL34 tubes. Jokes aside, every component brings it's own distortions to the sound. I have, thankfully, few LPs that introduce clicks or pops and I've never found one that was not fixable with either warm water and dishwashing detergent or methylated spirits. I have a real nice Ariston turntable that I need a new motor for. And I must look out for a better tone arm. For the time being I use one of two PL12 turntables with a Shure EDT2 cartridge.
I also have an old Garrard 301 which I use for 78's. The 78's never disappoint with lots of clicks and pops!