Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2020, 06:38 PM - 4 Likes   #16966
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep ending up buying stuff off the Lady we have helped. Then i get stricken with a guilty conscience that I haven't paid enough when I check the prices. I topped up some of the earlier puchases when I did my homework. But now I have got a dooozy. I bought a Takumar 58mm f2.4 on a Pentax Tower 26 in beautiful order. Came home and got a shock to find that is the first Pentax SLR camera and with it's correct lens. The lens is even more rare than the camera and of a unique design not carried forward. Any comments of the achievable value of these in NZ?

Test photo from the 58mm 2.4 @f4 - I read somewhere it was the first SLR lens corrected for colour.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #16967
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Next thing you are going to tell us is the dog made the circles in the sand.!
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
The compasshound...Known for it
You guys crack me up!
07-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #16968
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I keep ending up buying stuff off the Lady we have helped. Then i get stricken with a guilty conscience that I haven't paid enough when I check the prices. I topped up some of the earlier puchases when I did my homework. But now I have got a dooozy. I bought a Takumar 58mm f2.4 on a Pentax Tower 26 in beautiful order. Came home and got a shock to find that is the first Pentax SLR camera and with it's correct lens. The lens is even more rare than the camera and of a unique design not carried forward. Any comments of the achievable value of these in NZ?

Test photo from the 58mm 2.4 @f4 - I read somewhere it was the first SLR lens corrected for colour.
Great find! Tower 26? That's 1958-59. Very nice. I've never seen a Tak 58 like that. Please post a photo of the lens. M42 or M37?
07-19-2020, 07:57 PM - 3 Likes   #16969
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

M42 with 46mm filter --- exakerly this Takumar 58mm F2.4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Camera 143--- lens 144727 mint condition with case but no cap

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #16970
Pentaxian

Stunning GUB
07-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #16971
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

M42 with 46mm filter --- exakerly this Takumar 58mm F2.4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Very nice find!
07-20-2020, 02:32 AM   #16972
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say given the mint condition, history and rarity - worth quite a bit

Have a look on eBay and see what you find - bearing in mind the prices there are often 'optimistic', or check with KEH

Lovely looking camera and lens.

07-20-2020, 03:56 AM   #16973
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great catch! I also have a similarly minty one (see pic) on a beautiful condition 1957 AP. According to the interwebs and translated from French, '...a very specific objective, since it is of the Heliar-type formula, which makes it the only standard lens for 24x36 with the Heliar formula, and the fastest Heliar of all formats. It was sold as a "high-end" kit with the Asahiflex [M37] and was later taken up in M42 mount.' 'A very special bokeh, probably due to the Heliar formula. The resistance to flare is relatively good for an optic of around 55 years old [written in 2013], sufficiently closed it does not fear sun through the branches. The colour rendering is good. At full opening, the sharpness is quite correct, from f4 it is very good. Even closed at f8, the 12 slats allow to keep a nice round opening.' 'It is a very interesting objective, by its bokeh and its generous diaphragm in strips. It is discreet by its size (but a chrome lens does not go unnoticed).'
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
07-20-2020, 04:58 AM   #16974
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So is "AP" used more commonly than "Tower26"? Mine has neither written on it.
Thinking it is quite an interesting lens. I had bumped into that about the heliar design in my reading - makes it even more unique.

Don't know about it being flare resistant but the flare is unusual as you can see in the Gum tree 100%
And I can't see any fringing - I would expect it in the walnut crop somewhere.
This is wide open. (so long as I hadn't bumped the preset while focusing - it is quite fiddly)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-20-2020, 05:16 AM   #16975
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I would say given the mint condition, history and rarity - worth quite a bit

Have a look on eBay and see what you find - bearing in mind the prices there are often 'optimistic', or check with KEH

Lovely looking camera and lens.
Two matching on Fleabuy now -- one each side of NZ$700. And not selling.
I intend to be somewhat less than half that.
My original pricing agreement with her was based on what I would successfully bid for something on TM for rather than the top price you occasionally see coz two ol farts let their egos get them into a price war!
Unfortunately it is anyone guess what this would do on TM.
07-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #16976
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GUB - sorry for the confusion, the 1957 Asahi Pentax is commonly referred to as the 'AP' but it has no other markings on it except the serial number. As Asahi didn't market directly in the USA, the cameras were imported via Sears under the name Tower 26. The only difference was the top plate which said 'Tower 26' on the prism front rather than 'Asahi Pentax', with no AOCO logo. (I think that the name was a play on the 'Sears Tower', in Chicago.) The 1958 S and then the K models had 'S' and 'K' next to the serial on the top plate; I have an S with the Tak 55/f2.2 and a K with the 55/f1.8 zebra lens. Only four thousand-odd S models were made and I don't think it was available as a Tower in the US due to this, but the K became the Tower 29 in the US. Hope this helps!
07-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #16977
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
GUB - sorry for the confusion, the 1957 Asahi Pentax is commonly referred to as the 'AP' but it has no other markings on it except the serial number. As Asahi didn't market directly in the USA, the cameras were imported via Sears under the name Tower 26. The only difference was the top plate which said 'Tower 26' on the prism front rather than 'Asahi Pentax', with no AOCO logo. (I think that the name was a play on the 'Sears Tower', in Chicago.) The 1958 S and then the K models had 'S' and 'K' next to the serial on the top plate; I have an S with the Tak 55/f2.2 and a K with the 55/f1.8 zebra lens. Only four thousand-odd S models were made and I don't think it was available as a Tower in the US due to this, but the K became the Tower 29 in the US. Hope this helps!
OK so mine doesn't have "Tower 26" on it so it should be described as an AP. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
07-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #16978
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

My original pricing agreement with her was based on what I would successfully bid for something on TM for rather than the top price you occasionally see coz two ol farts let their egos get them into a price war!
Unfortunately it is anyone guess what this would do on TM.
I am sure you will work out a fair price GUB. TM can be a bit patchy with old film camera prices as well.
07-20-2020, 04:53 PM - 2 Likes   #16979
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Took the dog to the beach (Castlepoint) yesterday. Managed to find a brief break in the weather after which it bucketed down again.

The "new" 35-105mm lens seems sharp and reproduces natural colours beautifully. (The lens that came with the NOS SFXn)
Dog doing donuts on the beach?

I actually got across to the Wairarapa on Thursday to visit my little bro near Carterton, but the weather was pretty humid and we didn't go anywhere. I picked up a D-FA 28-105 in Wellington while I was at it, and although it's effectively a kit lens for the K-1, and not quite the ideal zoom range on the K-70, having weather sealing was nice given the conditions, and it's pretty sharp on APS-C. My preference would have been a DA 16-85, but they're around 3x the price I paid for the D-FA 28-105.

I only took a handful of photos in the North Island, but took a few on the Interislander on the way back home on Sunday. My impressions; lens is sharp, quick shift is nice, but there's a little bit of CA, although probably not more than the D-FA 100mm macro, so not bad. Here's probably my best image so far. I liked how the clouds sort of mirror the outline of the islands below.

Ngāwhatu Kai-ponu / The Brothers
07-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #16980
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Dog doing donuts on the beach?

I actually got across to the Wairarapa on Thursday to visit my little bro near Carterton, but the weather was pretty humid and we didn't go anywhere. I picked up a D-FA 28-105 in Wellington while I was at it, and although it's effectively a kit lens for the K-1, and not quite the ideal zoom range on the K-70, having weather sealing was nice given the conditions, and it's pretty sharp on APS-C. My preference would have been a DA 16-85, but they're around 3x the price I paid for the D-FA 28-105.

I only took a handful of photos in the North Island, but took a few on the Interislander on the way back home on Sunday. My impressions; lens is sharp, quick shift is nice, but there's a little bit of CA, although probably not more than the D-FA 100mm macro, so not bad. Here's probably my best image so far. I liked how the clouds sort of mirror the outline of the islands below.

Ngāwhatu Kai-ponu / The Brothers
You should have popped in while you were here!