Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dated a vegetarian. Once.

09-17-2020, 10:04 PM   #17057
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I've never understood what all the fuss around genetic engineering is. I mean, vegans ingest vast quantities of plant DNA, and yet as far as I know there's no evidence they're all turning into vegetables is there?
Best we ask Pete about that one, I am sure he has a much better perspective than me on the subject
09-18-2020, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #17058

I've never understood what all the fuss around genetic engineering is. I mean, vegans ingest vast quantities of plant DNA, and yet as far as I know there's no evidence they're all turning into vegetables is there?
as far as I know there's no evidence they're all turning into vegetables is there?
Have you ever tried to talk to a vegan?
09-18-2020, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #17059
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Someone needs to breed trees that embed their own titanium dioxide, then no painting needed - unless you want a colour other than white!
Finewoodworking Magazine in the late '70s published an article by someone who was tapping live trees and attaching buckets of dye to colour the living wood...sort of reverse 'maple syrup collection'

09-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #17060
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Plants no, frogs maybe. Or maybe goldfish, aren't all of our attention spans supposed to be shortening?
09-20-2020, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #17061
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was up at Paraparaumu Beach on 12th September. Gorgeous blue sky in the morning and a fairly clear view across to the south. Complete with horizon distortions.

Anyone know how to identify to the two highest peaks on each of those snowy bits? I'd be intrigued to see exactly how far away they were. Pretty sure it's >100km.

09-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #17062
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I was up at Paraparaumu Beach on 12th September. Gorgeous blue sky in the morning and a fairly clear view across to the south. Complete with horizon distortions.

Anyone know how to identify to the two highest peaks on each of those snowy bits? I'd be intrigued to see exactly how far away they were. Pretty sure it's >100km.

Is that Mana Island?

If so then I think the highest one might be Taupae o Uenuku - highest mountain in NZ outside the Southern Alps.
Mount Tapuae-O-Uenuku (A rather old photo and brief write up of mine).

I've heard it's possible to see Mount Taranaki from the summit.

Looking at your image, I'm still trying to work out what direction you were facing, although from the wind turbines and the island, it looks as though you were facing south if I compare with Topomap.

09-20-2020, 10:59 PM   #17063
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep agree thanks to GE
Attached Images

09-21-2020, 02:51 AM   #17064
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes that is Mana Island and the wind turbines at Makara. The shot was taken from the pathway above the beach, fairly close to but south of the main shops. Gub has pretty much nailed it.

I keep forgetting Google Earth exists. I just downloaded it to the iPad to look for myself and as it even has a built in measuring tool I can confirm the distance to Tapuae o Uenuku is 165km from the spot where I was standing. The left peak is called Manakau and is 186km away.

It doesn’t surprise me to hear you can see Mt. Taranaki from up there. I know people who’ve seen it from Pukerua Bay, and I have personally once seen Mt. Ruapehu from there as well. I just marked up those two on the map and they are 203km and 206km respectively from the trig point at Pukerua Bay, one either side of Kapiti Island.
09-21-2020, 03:24 AM   #17065
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live at 200M asl behind Waitotara (just south of Waverley) And we can see what I think is Tapuae o Uenuku as well as (I think) Mt Arthur. That is 260KM and 240KM
Sometimes just north of Wanganui (Westmere) you can see the communication tower at Wharite above the Manawatu gorge. That is 80 KM and that is the tower not a mountain top. And you know you have a clear day!
09-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #17066
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, the memories of Paraparaumu and Kapiti ...
09-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #17067
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was a day many years ago (I'm thinking the 90s) when I was driving into Plimmerton past the station and as I passed the first side street opposite I glanced down and was shocked by what I saw. I pulled into the next street to stop for a better look. I wish I'd had a camera that day. Not only could I see the South Island, but it was clear enough to make out multiple types of vegetation and bare earth colours along with contours of the land. I've never seen it that clear again.
09-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #17068
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Yes that is Mana Island and the wind turbines at Makara. The shot was taken from the pathway above the beach, fairly close to but south of the main shops. Gub has pretty much nailed it.

I keep forgetting Google Earth exists. I just downloaded it to the iPad to look for myself and as it even has a built in measuring tool I can confirm the distance to Tapuae o Uenuku is 165km from the spot where I was standing. The left peak is called Manakau and is 186km away.

It doesn’t surprise me to hear you can see Mt. Taranaki from up there. I know people who’ve seen it from Pukerua Bay, and I have personally once seen Mt. Ruapehu from there as well. I just marked up those two on the map and they are 203km and 206km respectively from the trig point at Pukerua Bay, one either side of Kapiti Island.
I thought the image looked a bit odd, but the distance explains it. The horizon at sea level would be only a few Km away, so all the surrounding landscape that I'm familiar with around those mountains is actually below the horizon in your photo, which makes them look strange to me, because it looks just the peaks rising out of the sea, when there is actually a lot of land around and below them.
09-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #17069
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When we used to live in Island Bay, on a clear day it looked like the Southern Alps were just outside Wellington.
09-22-2020, 01:37 AM   #17070
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought the image looked a bit odd, but the distance explains it. The horizon at sea level would be only a few Km away, so all the surrounding landscape that I'm familiar with around those mountains is actually below the horizon in your photo, which makes them look strange to me, because it looks just the peaks rising out of the sea, when there is actually a lot of land around and below them.
If my calculations are correct, what can be seen is only about the top 1/3rd of the height above sea level.
« GR x GIN Social | - »