Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 02:43 AM   #17161
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
You have the 16-85 WR? It's probably the one lens still significantly on my wish list as it seems to get good reviews and is WR which would be handy for me.
Yes, only lens I took on Rotorua trip, so took every photo above except the bee one (Tamron 90mm)

11-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #17162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pics! I always like to try for those "stick in the mud" shots when in Rotorua. I'm heading that way briefly over Christmas.

I have the non-PLM 55-300 WR. Only used it a few times in "W" conditions so far, though the way spring is going this year, maybe it will come in useful again before long.

Not much chance of me buying lenses any time soon but that 16-85 WR sounds interesting. I have the 18-135 WR which I bought with my K5 as kit lens, but it's not the best on IQ terms.
11-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #17163
Pentaxian

Yeah the 16-85 addressed issues I had trying to go wide in Pentax land, which was normally quite expensive.
I was glad when this lens came out and covered a bit wider than the standard kit lens, and that it had a basic DC motor to avoid any of the SDM historical Pentax plagued issues.

Chromatic aberrations are fairly well controlled (worse only at wide end really) which is good.
Like the coming 55-300 though they're not able to open very wide, so that's the main drawback of these newer lenses.
Definitely no f2.0 styles going on here, and that's where I'd fall back to say the Tamron 90mm f2.8 or Pentax 35mm f2.4 or go old school with a 50mm f1.8 manual focus.

For me this will be my last Pentax purchase unless something dramatic comes along (either new k-3 mk3 or K-1 etc)
The recent offerings of K-70 or K-P etc have been good for those target audiences, but personally they've not offered a replacement for the K-3 sufficient enough to tempt me.
11-25-2020, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #17164
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Definitely no f2.0 styles going on here, and that's where I'd fall back to say the Tamron 90mm f2.8 or Pentax 35mm f2.4 or go old school with a 50mm f1.8 manual focus.
Interesting to hear your experience. I have a Tamron 90mm 2.8, although I also have the Pentax D-FA 100mm 2.8, which is more compact and WR, so tends to go out with me more often now. I have the Pentax F 35mm 2.4 and the F 50 1.4 so pretty much cover all those options you've suggested where wide aperture is required.

For what I'd use a 16-85 for, landscapes - having a super wide aperture is unlikely to be an issue.

I'm increasingly tending to go out on the bike with just one or two lenses in a backpack, so I want to travel reasonably light, and have some dust and weather resistance.

11-26-2020, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #17165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Nice pics! I'm heading that way briefly over Christmas.
Wear pants..
11-26-2020, 12:36 AM   #17166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Tamron 90mm 2.8 as well, which along with the Pentax 50mm 1.4 is all I will ever likely want for a wide aperture.

Sure, I'd like a wide aperture on a much longer lens for the light gathering abilities, but aside from expense the hyperfocal distance for 300mm at f/2.8 is 1.62km! At the necessary f/11 for the 55-300's sweet spot, it's a more respectable 406m which is not far off my usual subject distances.

---------- Post added 11-26-2020 at 08:38 PM ----------

Besides which, the KP's sensor along with DxO's magical RAW processing substantially reduces the need for light.
11-26-2020, 03:11 AM   #17167
Pentaxian

I have the Tamron 90mm 2.8 as well, which along with the Pentax 50mm 1.4 is all I will ever likely want for a wide aperture.

Sure, I'd like a wide aperture on a much longer lens for the light gathering abilities, but aside from expense the hyperfocal distance for 300mm at f/2.8 is 1.62km! At the necessary f/11 for the 55-300's sweet spot, it's a more respectable 406m which is not far off my usual subject distances.
The longest fast lens I have is the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8, but I don't actually use it all that often as it's pretty bulky, and I only typically need it wide open for portraits.
I did use it exclusively at the last Classic Fighters in 2019, although not wide open.
I also have the DA* 50-135mm 2.8 which has a more useful zoom range for portraits on APS-C in addition to being WR.
If portraits were my primary purpose for a photographic expedition, I'd likely take just this lens, however it is heavy, so not my choice as a multi-purpose lens.

The FA 35mm 2.4 is actually a really nice general purpose lens that's nice and compact. It's wide enough for a lot of landscapes, and has a fast enough aperture for nice portraits, although it would be even better with WR and quickshift. The DA 35mm 2.8 Limited macro is a little slower but has quickshift, and macro which I actually use quite a lot, so might be the closest to the ideal prime for me.

Besides which, the KP's sensor along with DxO's magical RAW processing substantially reduces the need for light.
DxO's noise reduction certainly is impressive, and as you've mentioned about hyperfocal distance, you actually need a long lens stopped down a bit to get any DOF even if it is a fast lens.

11-27-2020, 01:11 AM   #17168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My son has the 35/f2.8 Limited Macro as a standard lens on his K-5, and loves it for its versatility and incredible sharpness. I keep threatening to whip it off him when he’s not looking! 🤣
11-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #17169
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
My son has the 35/f2.8 Limited Macro as a standard lens on his K-
That is a very good lens
12-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #17170

Hi team new Zealand. Was hoping to find a reasonable price on Pentax k1 in new Zealand but I pretty much feel like retailers in new Zealand do not care to much for Pentax in general.

What is your favourite camera store in new Zealand that stocks Pentax?
12-02-2020, 01:54 AM   #17171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gidiondeha Quote
Hi team new Zealand. Was hoping to find a reasonable price on Pentax k1 in new Zealand but I pretty much feel like retailers in new Zealand do not care to much for Pentax in general.

Welcome,
Pentax does tend to be rather poorly represented in NZ but it is around. He hasn't posted here for a bit, but member Kiwi110Auto in this group sells them through Southern Cameras

I bought my K-70 through him, and found he was good to deal with.
12-02-2020, 03:12 AM   #17172
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the group.
Seeing you are in Wellington Photo Warehouse may be your best option.
I had to squeeze Pricespy fairly hard to get a Pentax Result - they didn't show Pentax on the Main Full Frame page.
Find the best price on Ricoh-Pentax K-1 II | Compare deals on PriceSpy NZ

Edit - correction I found Ricoh - Pentax on page 4 of FF cameras hidden amongst camera/ lens combos.
12-02-2020, 06:30 AM   #17173
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Was hoping to find a reasonable price on Pentax k1 in new Zealand but I pretty much feel like retailers in new Zealand do not care to much for Pentax in general.
You may want to try Photo & Video in Christchurch.
12-02-2020, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #17174
Pentaxian

Horrific prices !
I got mine second hand from a guy in oz going back to Leica.
Aussie Pentax buy and sell Facebook group.
$2.2k and 3000 clicks maybe 4 years ago.
Wouldn't pay more than $1700 now...
12-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #17175
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome. Finding decent prices and stock locally is not easy.