Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2020, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #17206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Merry Christmas, all!

I keep (metaphorically) pinching myself that I get to drive 400km to visit family for Christmas with little more than some basic precautions (scanning in everywhere, washing hands). When it was planned last Christmas, it seemed little more than the spur of the moment decision it was. Given what we've been through this year (and I don't just mean the pandemic) it feels like a well earned privilege.

12-24-2020, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #17207
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
All the best everyone.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year for a few days later too.

Hope everyone is safe and sound.
12-24-2020, 11:19 PM   #17208
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Merry Christmas, everyone!
12-25-2020, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #17209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Merry Christmas from the self-styled honorary Kiwi in the UK! I just spoke to my niece in Mangawhai (I remember it well); it looked like a really nice day there. Daylight just coming up here, going to be sunny but chilly.

Nice to see that M80-200; mine has a separating element

12-25-2020, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #17210
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Belated Christmas greetings. I intentionally stayed away from the computer yesterday, but this morning I decided to put some paint on the house, and sure enough, as predicted by Murphy's Law, it started raining.

I came in to have a quick look to see if the thousands of unwanted Christmas gifts on Trademe might have included some Pentax gear, but sadly people either don't give Pentax, or if they do it's very much desirable.
12-25-2020, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #17211
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I came in to have a quick look to see if the thousands of unwanted Christmas gifts on Trademe might have included some Pentax gear, but sadly people either don't give Pentax, or if they do it's very much desirable.
I have watched the new info on the K3m3 today from Alfred and also the Ricoh update. Given I have a good number of old Pentax manual focus lenses, the K3m3 is definitely in the very much desirable category for me. Might have to start saving my pennies for it
12-25-2020, 09:27 PM   #17212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I have watched the new info on the K3m3 today from Alfred and also the Ricoh update. Given I have a good number of old Pentax manual focus lenses, the K3m3 is definitely in the very much desirable category for me. Might have to start saving my pennies for it
Likewise.

Took the K-3 and PLM zoom to Kapiti island and it was an awesome combination!

Better menus (K-S1 had a more modern font etc) and touchscreen is a good move. (Although limited to just menus - hopefully that includes pinch to zoom image review?).

Return of mechanical sensor stabilisation during video is welcome, as well a general improvement of 4K and hopefully better bit rate.

Burst rate and buffer looks very impressive plus that improved larger optical viewfinder.

All seems really good.

12-26-2020, 02:15 AM   #17213
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is the part of Albert Siegel's video about the K-3 III bringing back sensor-based image stabilisation for video.

A price of " just under 300,000JPY" seems too high, though?

Last edited by Class A; 12-26-2020 at 02:36 AM.
12-26-2020, 04:13 AM   #17214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Here is the part of Albert Siegel's video about the K-3 III bringing back sensor-based image stabilisation for video.

A price of " just under 300,000JPY" seems too high, though?
Yeah that’s the part I saw. Looked good if that is what’s coming. The electronic approach that came in with the K-30 was quite poor and a disappointment given the camera clearly had sensor stabilisation capabilities. These were Pentax only strengths originally but now nearly all major brands can do this.

The software approach meant the video field of view cropped to give a buffer around the outside, and unfortunately this continued even if you switched the stabilisation off.

The new camera price is a real concern. That puts it up against very capable competition nowadays, and some Full Frame sensor equipped. The access to legacy lenses is less important now too, given that mirrorless adapts to multiple brands via adapters, and offers very nice manual focus aides as well.

First steps though, let’s get it out and available first...
12-26-2020, 01:34 PM - 2 Likes   #17215
Pentaxian

Seems a shame to use that classic glass cropped Ross !

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2020 at 10:29 AM ----------

I do take my hat off to Pentax for continuing to push amongst the death race of survival for camera manufacturers
when I see the CEO announce with some Japanese enthusiasm a new development I feel like I backed the right horse
actual passion.
It was the retaining of the K mount and understanding the legacy of glass
( which brings me back to my first point :-D )

Last edited by Transit; 12-26-2020 at 02:44 PM.
12-26-2020, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #17216
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Merry Christmas guys!
Meanwhile Boxing Day looms large
my usual last minute scramble for equipment is underway no likelihood of buying a nice 70-200 F4 so I wondered about pressing this old m zoom in to service sure is nice to use I'll have to deal with staying in manual if course:-)
Maybe 4.5 is a magic number seems to work on the 300 :-)
yuk - a zoom!! Don't you have an old 200mm tak somewhere? A much better companion to your *300
This is with a 1960 - 62 Takumar (not a teletak) 200mm f5.6 @ f8 taken Chrissy day.

Last edited by GUB; 12-26-2020 at 03:33 PM.
12-26-2020, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #17217
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Seems a shame to use that classic glass cropped Ross !
There in lies my choice Pete. I will wait until the new K3m3 is released and see how the reviews and spec's come in. Then decide whether it is that or the K1. It won't be both .

2021promises to be a good year for me on the gear front.
12-26-2020, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #17218
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Merry (belated) Christmas everyone.
Oh, and can you South Islanders keep the cold weather to yourselves? I thought this was meant to be summer!
12-26-2020, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #17219
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Merry (belated) Christmas everyone.
Oh, and can you South Islanders keep the cold weather to yourselves? I thought this was meant to be summer!
Mark, I am currently on leave. Back to work on the 6th. Based on that Summer is almost certainly going to arrive on the 7th. Some fella named Murphy I think...
12-26-2020, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #17220
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark, I am currently on leave. Back to work on the 6th. Based on that Summer is almost certainly going to arrive on the 7th. Some fella named Murphy I think...
Hi Ross
Murphy is going to get a kick in the backside!
We'll be sweltering as soon as we're back in the office no doubt!