Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2020, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #17221
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We'll be sweltering as soon as we're back in the office no doubt!
I think that is the way it works

12-26-2020, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #17222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
yuk - a zoom!! Don't you have an old 200mm tak somewhere? A much better companion to your *300
This is with a 1960 - 62 Takumar (not a teletak) 200mm f5.6 @ f8 taken Chrissy day.
Awesome image Gub !
I wanted something shorter and well...versatile

Could have used my M 200/4, had luck with it the first year I had the K100D ! 2007
the fuzz is the wire netting

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2020 at 07:23 PM ----------

i really like the action of the M 80-200/4.5...seems natural to slide zoom and twist focus, actually seems bright enough for my crappy eyes to focus. I do mainly prefocus for the bikes.
It seems quite sharp once the pf calms down at f8

Brutally hacked in faststone

Last edited by Transit; 12-27-2020 at 05:08 AM.
12-27-2020, 01:53 AM - 2 Likes   #17223
Pentaxian

I'm going to make my semi annual cemetery circuit thread over on the other forum...
Don't want to come across as gloating covidwise

I did it

Last edited by Transit; 12-27-2020 at 04:55 AM.
12-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #17224
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice work. Great weather for it too.
Will go check out the album.

12-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #17225
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I'm going to make my semi annual cemetery circuit thread over on the other forum...
Don't want to come across as gloating covidwise

I did it
Some very nice images there Pete
12-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #17226
Pentaxian

Thanks ! Just quickly bashed out in fast stone.
So good having so many pixies to crop.
Was a relief to get the M lens off and have TAv available with the F300/4.5
12-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #17227
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Was a relief to get the M lens off and have TAv available with the F300/4.5
I am assuming you didn't use the 300 because it is a bit long for the shots you wanted?

12-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #17228
Pentaxian

The second half are all the 300 Ross. I have various spots that need the length.
It was quite fun pretending i had a 70-200 2.8 without the weight
that new Penron f4 would be the go.
the 80 was still a bit long...
This bloke had the solution presumably
the kid is packing a slim camera...

Last edited by Transit; 12-28-2020 at 02:34 PM.
12-28-2020, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #17229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We had a short break in Rotorua over Christmas. I didn't take my camera out much, but did take it on a tour of Government Gardens. For this foray I chose, uncharacteristically for me, to just mount a single lens and leave the rest in the car. I chose the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 for the task.

This shot, in particular, pleased me. Complete set here.

12-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #17230
Pentaxian

Nice set of shots, I like the mallard flotilla
12-28-2020, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #17231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice set of shots, I like the mallard flotilla
Thanks. Mother duck was very wary of humans so I was lucky to get even that close. 300mm would have been good at that point.

And speaking of birds and Rotorua, I thought the birdlife there was pretty lacklustre compared to Welly, at least in suburbia which seemed limited to endless mynas, sparrows and gulls and little else. Even in the bush/forest areas where I saw/heard more species it was often only a single example.
12-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #17232
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
And speaking of birds and Rotorua, I thought the birdlife there was pretty lacklustre compared to Welly, at least in suburbia which seemed limited to endless mynas, sparrows and gulls and little else. Even in the bush/forest areas where I saw/heard more species it was often only a single example.
I was in Welly a few weeks back for a family function. One of the afternoons we all went to Zealandia. You are pretty spoilt with the birdlife up there.
12-28-2020, 10:52 PM   #17233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zealandia has undoubtedly helped, which would be the sole reason I saw a kaka flying over recently, I am sure. But I don't think a day would go by when I don't see or hear fantail, grey warbler, blackbird, and tui. Nearly as common are kereru, thrush, ruru, shining cuckoo, mallard, and grey duck. Less often seen but often present I suspect (I'm no good at identifying their calls) are greenfinch, goldfinch, silvereye, and yellowhammer. Rarer sightings include rosella, kakariki, bellbird, and California quail. That's all just from my section! I've seen a falcon within a few blocks, too. As the kaka flies I am 13km away from Zealandia.

The one bird I omitted to mention from Rotorua which was quite common was the pukeko. I'd have to leave my section to see those around here.

And curiously there are two birds which I believe have declined significantly in numbers here. Starlings are still about but are way less common than blackbirds, which I swear used to be the other way around. Magpies seem to have disappeared largely from the area and it has been suggested this has coincided with the explosion of tui numbers.
12-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #17234
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Zealandia has undoubtedly helped, which would be the sole reason I saw a kaka flying over recently, I am sure. But I don't think a day would go by when I don't see or hear fantail, grey warbler, blackbird, and tui. Nearly as common are kereru, thrush, ruru, shining cuckoo, mallard, and grey duck. Less often seen but often present I suspect (I'm no good at identifying their calls) are greenfinch, goldfinch, silvereye, and yellowhammer. Rarer sightings include rosella, kakariki, bellbird, and California quail. That's all just from my section! I've seen a falcon within a few blocks, too. As the kaka flies I am 13km away from Zealandia.

The one bird I omitted to mention from Rotorua which was quite common was the pukeko. I'd have to leave my section to see those around here.

And curiously there are two birds which I believe have declined significantly in numbers here. Starlings are still about but are way less common than blackbirds, which I swear used to be the other way around. Magpies seem to have disappeared largely from the area and it has been suggested this has coincided with the explosion of tui numbers.
In my backyard I see fantail, silvereye, grey warblers, thrush, starlings, greenfinch, goldfinch, rarely tui, and even more rarely kingfisher, and lately a harrier has been passing overhead fairly frequently. Unfortunately some of them helped themselves to all the cherries on the cherry tree and a good number of our raspberry crop as well. I tend to describe silvereye as flying piranhas, because they appear in great flocks and demolish anything edible in sight in a short space of time.
12-31-2020, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #17235
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Happy New Year everyone