Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2021, 10:32 PM   #17356
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote

Points of difference

What has annoyed me a bit though, is Pentax had a really solid link to release a retro camera, but both Olympus and Fuji have led the way on that.
This history was there to release something in metal again. The KP was the closest but see it's out of production now.
While I too would love to see a retro Pentax, the problem is that people like me are, apparently, in the minority. I absolutely loved the look and feel of the Nikon Df but, so far as I can tell, the Df sold poorly. A great pity in my view as it is simply a beautiful and well made camera. I have no doubt that if Pentax made a similar retro product, I'd want one. But, how many others will?

03-10-2021, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #17357
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
While I too would love to see a retro Pentax, the problem is that people like me are, apparently, in the minority. I absolutely loved the look and feel of the Nikon Df
I’d love a Pentax version of those Fuji’s. With the shutter speed and exposure compensation/iso dials on top. They look awesome, and I like those new monochrome top displays also - that don’t look like ‘80s lcd calculators.
03-10-2021, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #17358
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'd like to respond to more points you made, but for now just very briefly:

For portraits I'd love to be able to hand hold with a solid stance up to my eye, but with the camera able to to do eye AF through the viewfinder, but that can't happen in optical mode.
Pentax claim they can manage eye-AF for the K-3 III while one is using the OVF. The ability to do face-AF while using the OVF would have surprised no one, because other manufacturers have done this already with their DSRL models. I wonder how well eye-AF is going to work because even high-resolution metering chips should have a pretty hard time to resolve eyes so that they become trackable. We'll have to see in what range the feature will work and how well it will work.

Was waiting to see what the new K-3 iii would look like but see that's been delayed again indefinitely.
Rumour has it that an official release is not that far away.

There aren't any fundamental design issues that need to be solved; the delay was just caused by supply issues caused by the pandemic and the AKM Semiconductor factory fire which affected a number of clients, similar to Pentax.
03-12-2021, 09:26 PM - 3 Likes   #17359
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Lubitel 2

I had a huge clean up of my garage over the Christmas break, that involved the junk and rubbish in the garage going into a 7m3 skip. In the middle of the clean up I found a storage bin I had forgotten about, and when I had a look inside one of the things I found was my Lubitel 2 camera, complete with original box and ready case.

My father brought me this camera new when I was 10 or 11 years old (which is a very long time ago) and I remember using it during the time I was at intermediate school.

One of the results of learning much of my early photography on this camera is that setting lenses manually, and manual focus is very natural to me, and one of the things I still enjoy - using old Pentax manual focus lenses on both the LX and K3.

It would be fair to say the Lubitel 2 was an ok camera to learn on, and took ok images - the lenses aren't the best, but did the job.

The camera has been stored for many years, and the lenses have a fair bit of fog in them. I am not planning to put a film through the camera, as I expect there is a lot that wouldn't work and it is not worth fixing. I will keep it to remind myself where my photography started, and as thanks to my father who was prepared to spend a bit of money at the time to encourage learning and experimentation with photography.

Some images of the Lubitel 2 below, I thought the Russian name markings on the lens were cool

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-12-2021, 11:08 PM   #17360
Pentaxian

Magic! :-)

but 7 cubes.... so little... I may need the full 'as big as you've got" this winter...
03-12-2021, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #17361
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
but 7 cubes.... so little... I may need the full 'as big as you've got" this winter...
Sounds like a bit of work ahead of you there Bob. Getting rid of 7 cubes of rubbish was very satisfying
03-12-2021, 11:19 PM   #17362
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Sounds like a bit of work ahead of you there Bob. Getting rid of 7 cubes of rubbish was very satisfying
I am reliably informed that one loads the 7 cubes then sets fire to it ...rinse and repeat....

03-12-2021, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #17363
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I am reliably informed that one loads the 7 cubes then sets fire to it ...rinse and repeat....
Maybe in the country, but not in the middle of town. That would cause a major kerfuffle!!
03-12-2021, 11:58 PM   #17364
Pentaxian

Maybe in the country, but not in the middle of town. That would cause a major kerfuffle!!
Hire a truck...??

Anyway...aside from my frivolous remarks... I've spent the best part of this non-existent 'wellingumboot' summer clearing and renovating my father-in-law's home as he passed away late last year.

There have been many skip bins of objects delivered to Hospice op-shops...who knew that someone else could have a bigger horde than mine !!

Hopefully things will settle once we sell his house...meantime I'm unfortunately sidelined with 2 cracked ribs from a fall....perhaps time to indulge a little autumn photography binge...??

Hoping you all are well and rested...

Cheers,
Bob.
03-13-2021, 12:07 AM   #17365
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hopefully things will settle once we sell his house...meantime I'm unfortunately sidelined with 2 cracked ribs from a fall....perhaps time to indulge a little autumn photography binge...??

Hoping you all are well and rested...
Thanks Bob, and sorry to hear the family news. Just heard tonight that a good friend of mine has passed in Samoa, and of course I am not going to be able to go and pay my respects, which is what I would have liked to do. The sooner we have kicked this pandemic for touch the better - it has been tough times for too many families.

An Autumn photography binge sounds like a very good idea for you, especially since you have been busy and are recuperating.

I am very well thanks. Very busy at work, which is a good place to be, and needing to make some more time for photography.

Maybe I will have to follow your prescription and have an autumn photography binge myself
03-13-2021, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #17366
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a huge clean up of my garage over the Christmas break, that involved the junk and rubbish in the garage going into a 7m3 skip. In the middle of the clean up I found a storage bin I had forgotten about, and when I had a look inside one of the things I found was my Lubitel 2 camera, complete with original box and ready case.

My father brought me this camera new when I was 10 or 11 years old (which is a very long time ago) and I remember using it during the time I was at intermediate school.

One of the results of learning much of my early photography on this camera is that setting lenses manually, and manual focus is very natural to me, and one of the things I still enjoy - using old Pentax manual focus lenses on both the LX and K3.

It would be fair to say the Lubitel 2 was an ok camera to learn on, and took ok images - the lenses aren't the best, but did the job.

The camera has been stored for many years, and the lenses have a fair bit of fog in them. I am not planning to put a film through the camera, as I expect there is a lot that wouldn't work and it is not worth fixing. I will keep it to remind myself where my photography started, and as thanks to my father who was prepared to spend a bit of money at the time to encourage learning and experimentation with photography.

Some images of the Lubitel 2 below, I thought the Russian name markings on the lens were cool
Lovely post Ross.
03-14-2021, 04:55 PM - 3 Likes   #17367
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As ever, the tragedy of everyday life continues despite world-changing events. I can only guess at the extra hardships caused some by lockdowns and travel restrictions.

My last 15 months or so would have been challenging in any case but at least the pandemic hasn't materially changed how we dealt with it, and in some cases actually improved it (working from home has its advantages, even though I hated it in the beginning).

This summer largely passed me by due to health issues, but when this last Sunday dawned fine and calm (yes, in Wellington) I thought "Now that I am fit again, I'm going to make the most of this". I grabbed my camera gear, hopped in the car and just "went out". I went to the airport (of course) but nothing was moving so I went to Zealandia in the hopes of finally seeing some tieke and photographing them. In the end, I didn't take that many photos and many were not that good, but I did get a few decent enough to publish.

But the best part of this story is that while photography was the original goal of the outing, I wasn't as disappointed as I usually would be with the marginal success, because the outing itself was magical. Tieke were everywhere, as well as korimako, popokatea, tui, kaka, riroriro, piwakawaka, and toutouwai. In one spot I saw all of those except kaka (which were audible elsewhere) in the space of 5 minutes.

In some ways photography is like golf. While you can spend many hours perfecting your swing, or your camera technique, other times it's just an excuse to go for a nice walk.

Narrator: And then he went back to the airport. Of course.
03-14-2021, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #17368
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely shots Allister.

Here's the best shot I got of the B-52 bomber. It was a bit far away from my vantage point.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
03-14-2021, 05:55 PM   #17369
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
In some ways photography is like golf. While you can spend many hours perfecting your swing, or your camera technique, other times it's just an excuse to go for a nice walk.
Very nice images, thanks for sharing. I was in Zoolandia in December for a couple of hours and really enjoyed the experience.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Here's the best shot I got of the B-52 bomber. It was a bit far away from my vantage point.
Nice
03-14-2021, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #17370
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote

Narrator: And then he went back to the airport. Of course.
Sorry to hear about your health issues. Been there done that as have other family members in various ways. Bodily mis-functions in whatever form they take aren't pleasant.

I try to convince my wife what you say about photography when she asks why I can't just go for a walk without taking a backpack of camera gear. My excuse, "I need exercise, and some extra weight will use more energy."
More often than not I end up not taking any photos, but taking the camera with me motivates me to get exercise more than sweating it out in any gym ever would.