Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2021, 03:20 AM - 2 Likes   #17401
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep comparatively FF weak for telephoto and macro dof. The dof thing doesn't matter in terms of my K01 vs K-1 coz you can always back away 50% with the K-1 and crop in to the K01 size and mps. But your K3s have a higher pixel density for what it is worth.
And you have the apsc lenses to go with.
From my perspective almost all my lenses are FF and quite simply if you express the information available from a given lens in terms of area (like megapixels) then FF imparts twice the information of apsc. (1.5 times on each dimension). And the sweet spot theory makes sod all difference. So the K-1 for my legacy glass is a no-brainer.
One thing about when I stepped from my K01 to the K-1 my reasoning was there was simply not enough bang for buck going from K01 to K3 (in my opinion). (That says a bit about my opinion about upgrading from K3 to K3iii )
Heading off to Mangaturuturu Hut on Ruapehu for three nights. Call in for a coffee (and a bunk for the night) if you feel like it anyone. Only an hour 30 in from the Turoa rd.
Have a great Easter everyone.

04-01-2021, 11:26 AM   #17402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Heading off to Mangaturuturu Hut on Ruapehu for three nights. Call in for a coffee (and a bunk for the night) if you feel like it anyone. Only an hour 30 in from the Turoa rd.
Sounds tempting...But Jane has hurt her flipper

---------- Post added 2nd Apr 2021 at 07:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
.... I am hoping the 4K video and audio etc will be good enough that....
Oh the optimism of the Pentax user ;-)

---------- Post added 2nd Apr 2021 at 07:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Quite a nice batch of lenses added to Trademe today .... .
I bags the Tammy 70-200

---------- Post added 2nd Apr 2021 at 07:37 AM ----------

From what I can work out it will be about the same price as the K1 II here in NZ i.e. $3,200 - $3,300, and yes I am planning to purchase a K3 III at that price
Dear Lord...
Makes my $2200 K-1 seem mildly less excessive
04-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #17403
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Oh the optimism of the Pentax user ;-)
Well, I know for sure that the Panasonic G9 video is good enough. I am really hoping that the K3 III video does the job this time .

But I will not be making any changes to my use of the G9 until I have done a lot of testing on the K3 III.

---------- Post added 02-04-21 at 07:40 AM ----------

Dear Lord...
Makes my $2200 K-1 seem mildly less excessive
You always seem to be able to get the bargains Pete
04-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #17404
Pentaxian

Scottish ploy Ross

04-01-2021, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #17405
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy Easter, I hope everyone here has a fantastic long weekend, spends time with those they love, or doing what they love, and generally enjoys life this long weekend

It is a huge contrast from this time last year...
04-01-2021, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #17406
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

I bags the Tammy 70-200

---------- Post added 2nd Apr 2021 at 07:37 AM ----------

That's a nice lens. I have one and it's one of the sharpest I own although I noticed there is some softness at the edges and corners. Centre sharpness is great from wide open.
On the K-70 it's just long enough for birds if I'm patient and/or lucky, and it's given me some impressive results. I shot a wedding with it, and was very happy with the results.

---------- Post added 04-02-21 at 04:07 PM ----------

Happy Easter, I hope everyone here has a fantastic long weekend, spends time with those they love, or doing what they love, and generally enjoys life this long weekend

Happy Easter everyone.

Ironically I'm stuck at home with damp weather and a respiratory virus that has laid the whole family low with snotty noses and aches and pains. I suspect a rhinovirus, because apparently they prefer cooler conditions in your respiratory tract to proliferate, which explains why colds tend to be more common in cooler weather.

This time last year I was photographing smurfs and teddy bears in people's gardens and gateways with my Sigma 150-500 to give me some distance when I went out to get some exercise.

If the weather and my cold clears up, I'm hoping to head up to Molesworth if I can convince the family, but it remains to be seen if that eventuates.

At least I'm keeping happy at home. One of my other tech indulgences besides photography is a 1980s vintage Roland synthesiser, and I just found an app online along with a bunch of somewhat over 4,000 instrument patches for it that the app will allow me to transfer to the keyboard, along with the ability to adjust all the synth parameters via a nice UI, so that could keep me occupied all weekend if I don't get out anywhere.
Actually I spent quite a bit of time on the synth last year too, although I wasn't smart enough to try to turn myself into a lockdown celebrity with live Zoom performances, although I have the gear to do it.
04-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #17407
Pentaxian

Thanks for the Tamron encouragement :-)
I was keen on the f4 Pentax version until I saw I would need to sell the other kidney to buy it

04-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #17408
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I was keen on the f4 Pentax version until I saw I would need to sell the other kidney to buy it
It is a nice looking lens, but as you say - expensive
04-02-2021, 06:26 AM   #17409
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And the sweet spot theory makes sod all difference.
Proper theory predicts that it should not make any difference.

Although throwing away the weaker parts of the image circle sounds like a good idea, in practice one outputs to the same size, which results in more magnification for the cropped (APS-C) image and hence an amplification of lens aberrations.

P.S.: I'm glad the April fool's thread title has disappeared.

Last edited by Class A; 04-05-2021 at 04:45 AM.
04-02-2021, 06:27 AM   #17410
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Heading off to Mangaturuturu Hut on Ruapehu for three nights. Call in for a coffee (and a bunk for the night) if you feel like it anyone.
Would have loved to! Have to catch up with work, though.
04-02-2021, 06:36 AM   #17411
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Happy Easter everyone!
04-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #17412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Happy Easter to you all.
Ross, not for us here. "You don't know how lucky you are..."

I just bought a vehicle here (great move before another 4 weeks of lockdown) and insured it. I used to do between 25 and 50,000 K's a year. I did 4,400 in the last year and 2,000 of those were on a summer trip. Saves on insurance!
04-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #17413

As you can see I was close to my limit - $800 - but that is something the competitor doesn't know.
How ever it is nice to have a competitor in that you know you are not alone in your madness!
I figured this was my only chance to get a good birding lens for the K-1.
The nearest I have (in viable lenses) is a K 400 and comments are pretty clear about a gain from that.
Plus AF to boot. The reviews suggest it is quite effective.
I am a manual focuser on the whole but I have been aware when with other photographers with long lenses that they get the shots I miss.
Hi Gub. Hope you are having fun with the lens(that I miss! Now selling my FA 24mm and then my 35mm Sigma art 1.4 lens. Have bought a Pentax 24-70 2.8. One lens for 2,makes life simple. I will put the 24mm on to Facebook
04-03-2021, 07:55 PM   #17414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I used to do between 25 and 50,000 K's a year.
Yikes! My 14.5 year old car has done 111,000km. It's just had its first expensive thing go wrong.
04-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #17415
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Yikes! My 14.5 year old car has done 111,000km. It's just had its first expensive thing go wrong.
Indeed! My 97 Serena van just clicked over 150k...Up from the 134 it had done when I bought it 6 years ago :-)
« GR x GIN Social | - »