Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #17416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Yikes! My 14.5 year old car has done 111,000km. It's just had its first expensive thing go wrong.
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Indeed! My 97 Serena van just clicked over 150k...Up from the 134 it had done when I bought it 6 years ago :-)
yeah, distances. It's like driving in Oz where the hundreds tick over. We are looking to go east to the sea this summer (if we can!), it'll be just over 3000km return. Looking forward to it though. I consult fairly widely in my industries, and there are production plants and importers across Canada and the US.

04-05-2021, 03:09 AM   #17417
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Would have loved to! Have to catch up with work, though.
Yeah thought you might have been tempted! Trouble was we were all day away from the hut bush bashing anyway.
04-05-2021, 03:19 AM   #17418
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillwell Quote
Hi Gub. Hope you are having fun with the lens(that I miss! Now selling my FA 24mm and then my 35mm Sigma art 1.4 lens. Have bought a Pentax 24-70 2.8. One lens for 2,makes life simple. I will put the 24mm on to Facebook
Ahaa there you are Stillwell. Good to hear from you! Hey everyone - this is the bloke to blame if I take crappy pictures with the FA400 !!
Seems to focus nice and snappy - just couldn't face taking it with me onto Ruapehu this weekend. Already had upwards of three Kg of gear. Mind you I saw a Falcon perched about 50metres away - it would have been handy!
04-05-2021, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #17419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nah, you won’t be taking crappy pictures, gub! Welcome, stillwell!

04-05-2021, 04:48 AM   #17420
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Yeah thought you might have been tempted! Trouble was we were all day away from the hut bush bashing anyway.
Let me know if you go on a hike again. Would love to join sometime.

BTW, I fixed a potentially ambiguous reply to one of your earlier posts. The idea was to agree with you and I'm not sure that came through with the first version I wrote.
04-05-2021, 05:19 AM - 6 Likes   #17421
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Let me know if you go on a hike again. Would love to join sometime.

BTW, I fixed a potentially ambiguous reply to one of your earlier posts. The idea was to agree with you and I'm not sure that came through with the first version I wrote.
Yeah i read it several times before I worked it out. But hey you are nothing like Swaneflitte whose every sentence is a riddle!
The Mangaturuturu area of Ruapehu has got to have some of the most beautiful spots on the mountain. Here is Tom's Garden. Our club named the area such after Tom Luff showed us his secret spot about a month before he passed away. The crazy thing is the buttercups flower there all summer despite the fact they are finished elsewhere on the mountain by Christmas. Easter and they are still going. Probably something to do with the fountain of water in the background. A stream spraying out from what is presumably a lava tube. Also the area is a sheltered afternoon suntrap on smooth rock.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #17422
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The crazy thing is the buttercups flower there all summer despite the fact they are finished elsewhere on the mountain by Christmas. Easter and they are still going. Probably something to do with the fountain of water in the background. A stream spraying out from what is presumably a lava tube.
Amazing!

Thanks for sharing the image!

04-05-2021, 12:14 PM   #17423
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The Mangaturuturu area of Ruapehu has got to have some of the most beautiful spots on the mountain. Here is Tom's Garden.
Very nice spot, Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a very nice weekend. I, unfortunately, spent a fair bit of the weekend working, getting a couple of client projects finished.

I did find time to watch a few of the new videos on the K3-III which was very enjoyable
04-05-2021, 01:27 PM   #17424
Pentaxian

Yeah i read it several times before I worked it out. But hey you are nothing like Swaneflitte whose every sentence is a riddle!
The Mangaturuturu area of Ruapehu has got to have some of the most beautiful spots on the mountain. Here is Tom's Garden. Our club named the area such after Tom Luff showed us his secret spot about a month before he passed away. The crazy thing is the buttercups flower there all summer despite the fact they are finished elsewhere on the mountain by Christmas. Easter and they are still going. Probably something to do with the fountain of water in the background. A stream spraying out from what is presumably a lava tube. Also the area is a sheltered afternoon suntrap on smooth rock.
That's stunning. I'm very much a Mainlander, but natural history is something of a magnet to me anywhere, (Blame it on David Attenborough when I was an impressionable teen), and that's amazing with so much variety in one small area. I've never been to much of the North Island, but that's the kind of place I'd want to visit.
04-05-2021, 05:14 PM   #17425
Pentaxian

Great spot, that fountain is so cool!
04-05-2021, 07:22 PM - 2 Likes   #17426
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is Tom's Garden.
What an incredible spot! Good that it's water coming out of the lava tube.

I love flowing water, even just down a stream or river, and in native bush even better. When we were in Rotorua at Christmas probably my favourite time was checking out the Wairere falls, accessible via a short (but steep) detour when walking around the trails of Te Wairoa, The Buried Village. Only an iPhone snap below. Would love to go back with some more time and a suitable collection of lenses for the KP. I deliberately left it in the car on this side trip.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11 Pro  Photo 
04-05-2021, 09:10 PM - 3 Likes   #17427
Pentaxian

My weekend was considerably drier, but I did manage to get out, and my big Tamron 70-200 got some exercise as well.
04-06-2021, 12:38 AM   #17428
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Scored a magic lantern lens off TM. $15. A Spencer 10inch f4. After gluing up an adapter I quickly threw it together without even cleaning my finger prints off the glass. (Wanted to check I had my basic physics of focal length working.) Might be a shame to clean it - after all we used to put vaseline on lens filters!.
You can trust the real estate of the K-1 to bring out the best in this random piece of old glass.
04-06-2021, 12:57 AM   #17429
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You can trust the real estate of the K-1 to bring out the best in this random piece of old glass.
Mate!! you are a legend
04-06-2021, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #17430
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillwell Quote
Hi Gub. Hope you are having fun with the lens(that I miss! Now selling my FA 24mm and then my 35mm Sigma art 1.4 lens. Have bought a Pentax 24-70 2.8. One lens for 2,makes life simple. I will put the 24mm on to Facebook
Welcome Stillwell !
I tried to steal the 400 but Gub noticed it on my K-1

---------- Post added 6th Apr 2021 at 08:13 PM ----------

... Here is Tom's Garden.....
Lovely mate