Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Welcome Stillwell !
I tried to steal the 400 but Gub noticed it on my K-1

---------- Post added 6th Apr 2021 at 08:13 PM ----------

Lovely mate
Yeah talk about inappropriate!! - it hadn't even been introduced to my K-1 by that point ! A violation of societal rules!

04-06-2021, 01:16 AM   #17432
Pentaxian

any clues guys ?
Ototoka Beach with the F70-200

---------- Post added 6th Apr 2021 at 08:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Yeah talk about inappropriate!! - it hadn't even been introduced to my K-1 by that point ! A violation of societal rules!
my clever ploy pairing with the F*300 almost came off
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-06-2021, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #17433
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

any clues guys ?
looks like an Austen 10 tyre from the later Miocene.
04-06-2021, 01:46 AM - 2 Likes   #17434
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

A Ford Prefect Tyre would probably be more explainable...

04-07-2021, 12:49 AM   #17435
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Redneck beach barbie....?

Last edited by bobD; 04-07-2021 at 12:55 AM.
04-08-2021, 02:10 AM   #17436
Pentaxian

I decided to pass on the Tamron I probably would have put a $610 auto bid on it so might have been lucky

---------- Post added 8th Apr 2021 at 09:14 PM ----------

There is a geologist taking a field day to that very beach this weekend I will forward the picture
I was suspecting a Ford Y...the expert will know
04-08-2021, 04:07 PM   #17437
Pentaxian

Was watching a 10mm sigma on TM last night, but decided now's not the time. Going wide in Pentax APS-C land is expensive, so 10mm had it's appeal.

Shift to electric vehicles becomes life-or-death risk for automakers | Stuff.co.nz
Feels like a lot of industries are facing a major technology shift these days. Electric vehicle development for example reminds me a lot of the mirrorless vs traditional SLR approach discussion.

See the new K-3 iii is listed for preorder on the major sites. Likes of $3,000 NZD at Amazon which isn't cheap by any measure.
Not sure how I feel about that really. Great to finally see the return of mechanical stabilisation in video and a touch screen. I know they're different beasts, but I do wonder if a K-1 would be preferable at that sort of price range.
Assume a K-1 iii is in the works?

I'm kinda torn between enjoying the act of taking photos, but also frankly value the output too, so tools that help me nail focus are actually really appreciated.
Eye AF would be really handy for me for example, and a DSLR is unlikely to offer that sort of image analytics type processing that mirrorless can offer - given the computer can see the image the whole time in Mirrorless but only briefly when there's a mirror covering it.

Video wise there's 4k resolution but yet to hear what the dynamic range is like. Suspect video and sports tracking would be greatly improved with the newer lenses. That PLM zoom I picked up is insanely quick to focus and silent.
Not sure what the live view / video focussing options are on the new K-3 iii, and if there are any on sensor focussing points like the K-70 has.

04-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #17438
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Video wise there's 4k resolution but yet to hear what the dynamic range is like.
Your video questions are good ones Rich. I am buying the K-3 III for stills, but if the video is up to snuff I will sell my Panasonic G9 once I have done sufficient testing to make sure it does what I need for my professional videos. If not, the G9 is doing the job. So probably May before I get the K3-III and June before I finish testing the video. I will let you know here once I have got it sorted. I am sure there will also be some comprehensive reviews here on PF as well.
04-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #17439
Pentaxian

touch screen ! good grief

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2021 at 02:44 PM ----------

Was watching a 10mm sigma on TM last night, but decided now's not the time. Going wide in Pentax APS-C land is expensive, so 10mm had it's appeal.....
went for really good price, might have grabbed it for my daughter of the K-70.
My 8-16 saw lots of use on crop. I don't seem to use wide much on the K-1 for some reason

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2021 at 02:46 PM ----------

I'm kinda torn between enjoying the act of taking photos, but also frankly value the output too....
tell me about it
I got dragged away by aeromodelling and astronomy
04-08-2021, 08:07 PM   #17440
Pentaxian

Have you used a camera with a touch screen on the back?
They're really good for pinch/zoom/drag to review images and check/confirm focus points etc.
Much better than scrolling the wheel and using the 4 way direction buttons to move around.

QuoteQuote:
tell me about it
I got dragged away by aeromodelling and astronomy
I enjoy and understand the benefits of using a tripod (although Pentax and now others do in camera/lens stabilisation to help) and that whole act of taking a photo/moving out of auto everything modes/being in the moment/being creative is great when you can make the time for it.

But I also know that I'm going to get very annoyed if I get back in front of a computer and find the camera has decided to focus on a hedge at the back of a row of people, and no one is in focus etc.
It's not like any use of an auto assist instantly means you're a back photographer or anything else like that. Technology progresses/advances and I'm not against using those tools where suitable to help nail the shot.
The trade off of traditional approaches is more than made up for when I get a cracking image at the other end, and the likes of eye focus with wide open lenses etc for me would be hugely useful (as I don't find optical viewfinders ideal for that sort of critical focussing).
04-08-2021, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #17441
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2021 at 02:44 PM ----------

went for really good price, might have grabbed it for my daughter of the K-70.
My 8-16 saw lots of use on crop. I don't seem to use wide much on the K-1 for some reason[COLOR="Silver"]
I have a Sigma 10-20 same as what was going on TM, and use it quite a bit. It was reasonably cheap, and I'm happy with IQ. The only trap I've found is that at 10mm at the 'golden hour' you need to stick it on a (short) tripod, and back away from it, otherwise you end up photographing your own shadow.

---------- Post added 04-09-21 at 05:24 PM ----------

But I also know that I'm going to get very annoyed if I get back in front of a computer and find the camera has decided to focus on a hedge at the back of a row of people, and no one is in focus etc.
I remember back in the day when I was using enthusiast grade camcorders I had to remember to turn off continuous AF when filming at the beach as the AF would get confused and couldn't decide which wave to focus on so there was annoying focus shift occurring all the time. Switch to single AF or manual, and I'd get nice steady focus.
04-09-2021, 01:54 AM   #17442
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Electric vehicle development for example reminds me a lot of the mirrorless vs traditional SLR approach discussion.
Currently in NZ for me the electric vehicle dogma is just more fake news. While we have only 80% renewable power and still have coal fired stations in the grid then any addition to grid load is coal fired. The fashionable adoption of Electric Vehicle technology is clearly and simply an addition load on the grid. So in New Zealand EVs are coal fired. I would have had some sympathy if rather than subsidise purchasers of EVs the Gov had contributed to a special fund to augment the current renewable power.
04-09-2021, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #17443
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Currently in NZ for me the electric vehicle dogma is just more fake news. While we have only 80% renewable power and still have coal fired stations in the grid then any addition to grid load is coal fired. The fashionable adoption of Electric Vehicle technology is clearly and simply an addition load on the grid. So in New Zealand EVs are coal fired. I would have had some sympathy if rather than subsidise purchasers of EVs the Gov had contributed to a special fund to augment the current renewable power.
Evening GUB

My company is zero carbon registered with Toitu and each year we are trying to cut our emissions and make some progress in producing less carbon. The past 12 months have been helped hugely by the covid pandemic - less travel, more video conferencing etc - so less carbon produced.

As part of our ongoing commitment to carbon reduction we have been moving our fleet to PHEVs - we currently have 3 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVs and 1 Mazda CX5. The PHEV's give us 30km electric motor range per charge, and charge overnight for $2 electricity, yes that is 30km for $2 i.e. roughly 1/3 the cost of the same range using petrol, no emissions, and really nice quiet running. The weeks I am only running around town I just don't use petrol. When I am heading to Christchurch Airport, as I did yesterday with a full electric charge and a full tank - I used some petrol but achieved really good overall fuel economy - 15.5 km/l.

Because the PHEV's charge overnight there is no additional grid load that fires up coal or gas fired plants i.e. the charging is from renewables and occurs where there is low base load.

Further, to make sure that I am not using coal or gas fired energy resources, I have recently transferred both my home and business electricity supply from Contact (who have a thumping great gas fired station just up the road from you in Taranaki) to Ecotricity who only purchase and on-sell renewable power. This is what is called a 'market signal' to suppliers who aren't using 100% renewables.

As NZ's EV fleet - PHEVs and BEV's ramps up, so will our investment in renewable energy sources - there is plenty already happening, and much more to come.

I am really happy with how we are tracking as a business with regard to this, and looking forward to making more progress this year.

Returning the topic to photography, with Ecotricity supplying my power, I will be able to happily charge my new K-3 III batteries (when the K3-III arrives) with fully renewable power - which just seems like a win-win to me.
04-09-2021, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #17444
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Because the PHEV's charge overnight there is no additional grid load that fires up coal or gas fired plants i.e. the charging is from renewables and occurs where there is low base load.
That is interesting Ross. I understand off peak has it's grid load advantages but I have been unable to find any information that confirms the percentage of renewable increases at night. I find it interesting because I have always considered that the hydro stations smoothed out this variation by virtue of their reservoir storage of multidays. So do you have a source that explains this? This is the most comprehensive site I can find and i have never seen it over 80%. But maybe I am not looking late enough at night.
Power System Live Data | Transpower
And of course burning gas and coal at stations to supply electricity for cars is considered more efficient than the cars engines to operate so no argument there.
Great to see the path you are steering your company.
I don't take any particular footprint reducing path on my farm. But my bull beef operation is a remarkably low input process anyway utilising a waste product (bobby calves and out of spec powder) that produces an in demand high quality protein.
I have always used sustainability as my driver which has guided me to retire a lot of my difficult hill country. I can claim I have retired a third of my property from production and have done this for no financial gain. The land retired into gorse which is not eligible for credits. Interestingly this is now regenerating into 2nd growth which probably is eligible for credits. But I have never farmed something I didn't believe in ( wool lamb bull beef) and it is going to be difficult to start now.
04-09-2021, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #17445
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Eye AF would be really handy for me for example, and a DSLR is unlikely to offer that sort of image analytics type processing that mirrorless can offer...
The K-3 III is capable of tracking eyes. See the video below.

I suspect the face has to be relatively large in the frame for this to work. If the face becomes too small for eyes to be recognisable, the K-3 III can still track faces, though.

The reason why the K-3 III can do this while the mirror is down is because it does not use the main sensor for eye-tracking, it uses the metering chip which has a higher resolution than any metering chip used in any Pentax DSRL before (~307,000 pixels).

Video AF will be CDAF AF, though, so it won't come close to the on-sensor PDAF performance that most mirrorless cameras use.