Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2021, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #17551
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
My main concern would be if I were dead and gone and no longer paying a subscription, that someone else could access my images.
I trust we are discussing an event some multiple decades away yet

05-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #17552
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but with Lightroom since the adjustments are only viewable outside of Lightroom after exporting, I'd expect this to still work.
It so happens I tested this today and yes it does work.

The reason I tested it is something I realised in the 7 days I had a fully functioning app and was playing with it. While LrC will write the keywords into the DNG files, making them available to other software, it writes ALL of the keywords in. I have one structure in my hierarchy like this:

!places > Oceania > New Zealand > North Island > Wellington > Petone

The !places keyword is there purely to hold this structure, where Oceania is a sibling to Asia and Europe, to keep it all together. But "!places" (the initial ! makes it sort to the top) isn't a particularly useful keyword to apply to a published image. Whereas for my "aircraft" structure (that manically large, deep, and complex structure) it does make sense to publish "aircraft" as a keyword. By returning the PhotoLab-edited image to Lightroom (as a stacked copy) I can then export from there which honours the "do not export" setting on keywords.

---------- Post added 05-22-2021 at 05:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Lightroom remains running and operational for the Library and Map modules at least.
Correction: The Map module does not function. It remained functional while the app was still running after trial expiry, but since restarting, it no longer works.
05-21-2021, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #17553
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I trust we are discussing an event some multiple decades away yet
I would hope so.

Dad is still alive, but he has Parkinsons related dementia, and he has good days and bad days, however I have boxes of his slides from his tramping years, neatly labelled, that I've been gradually scanning.

That experience is what makes me think that there needs to an equivalent with digital so that images can be accessed by future generations if the photographer isn't necessarily around.

Of course someone could always get a subscription themselves, but if it's only to access and archive images that seems like taking things too far. No one's images should be hostage to making regular payments to any particular company. Editing, yes, I get that, same as if you'd have to pay for darkroom gear if you wanted to reproduce traditional images, but just to access them no.
05-22-2021, 01:43 AM   #17554
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

but just to access them no.
Why I went for C1 and still have my images on my SSD and multiple back up disks

05-23-2021, 12:55 AM - 4 Likes   #17555
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well the FA400 is finally getting a workout.
It is that time of year when dozens of Fantails flit around the garden.
So intent on food (and I think curiosity) that they often get within minimum focus .
Little sods don't sit around long either! When they are that close they are almost filling the frame.
Trouble is with them that close on full frame I need to be f11 to get enough dof . So I need a fair chunk of the K-1 iso performance .

05-23-2021, 01:01 AM   #17556
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That’s excellent!!!
05-23-2021, 02:07 AM   #17557
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Little sods don't sit around long either! When they are that close they are almost filling the frame.
No they do not!! Fantastic image GUB, you would have to be pleased with that one

05-23-2021, 02:44 AM   #17558
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So intent on food (and I think curiosity) that they often get within minimum focus .
Trouble is with them that close on full frame I need to be f11 to get enough dof . So I need a fair chunk of the K-1 iso performance .
Fantastic shot! They are really hard to shoot.
05-23-2021, 03:03 AM   #17559
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice sharp image. They're real teases. I've had some reasonable images of them over the years, but they're always challenging.

Is it just my imagination, or is that some quite strong vignetting in the image? It looks asymmetrical, so not sure if it's just a dark background?
05-23-2021, 05:30 AM   #17560
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it just my imagination, or is that some quite strong vignetting in the image? It looks asymmetrical, so not sure if it's just a dark background?
Yeah an editing vignette on the right. just wanted to balance the image up a bit. Airbrushed on via a layer mask.
05-23-2021, 11:13 AM - 2 Likes   #17561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmm, seems I can no longer see pics posted in this thread but other threads do display images. Oh well.

Just a reminder there is total eclipse of the moon on the 26th May ie this Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Except for the Sth Island, it will probably rain.

https://www.rasnz.org.nz/in-the-sky/eclipses

How to Photograph a Lunar Eclipse
05-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #17562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dad is still alive, but he has Parkinsons related dementia, and he has good days and bad days, however I have boxes of his slides from his tramping years, neatly labelled, that I've been gradually scanning.
Excepting the photographic subjects, that is a complete replay of my life from a few years back. My Dad is now departed but went down the same road. I have just recently been doing more scanning of his negatives, finding some real gems of old trains, family shots, and of course copious aircraft.

Wow!! That's a stunner.
05-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #17563
Pentaxian

Nice work Gub :-)
I should try with the F*...Need the AF TC on too to enhance the degree of difficulty
05-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #17564
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When my mother died a few years ago the entire archive of prints and negatives came under my care. 130 plus years of family history. Including a freakishly good quality postcard from 1866. The challenge is to maintain some form of order as I go.
Just recently I scanned some negs from the 1970 -80s that she took as the local newspaper journalist for our rural area.
What was special about these was that most of these negs had never made it through to positives so there was a handful of unexpected finds. One has already been printed out and handed down to the children of this now deceased (before his time) person.
One of my favourites of the old family images is this one on a child on a cows back taken in the 1890s on a pioneer farm in the Waitotara valley. Phyllis Haddow (great Aunt). Became one of our earlier women doctors around 1920. Because of the difficulty of finding work in the culture of the time she went as a missionary to China in 1923 . In a leprosy hospital up to about 1949 including time as a POW. From those beginnings greatness happens!

EDIT PF went down before I posted the images I intended to.
Here they are (naa that part seems to be down.)

Last edited by GUB; 05-23-2021 at 05:46 PM.
05-23-2021, 03:27 PM   #17565
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When my mother died a few years ago the entire archive of prints and negatives came under my care. 130 plus years of family history. Including a freakishly good quality postcard from 1866. The challenge is to maintain some form of order as I go.
Just recently I scanned some negs from the 1970 -80s that she took as the local newspaper journalist for our rural area.
What was special about these was that most of these negs had never made it through to positives so there was a handful of unexpected finds. One has already been printed out and handed down to the children of this now deceased (before his time) person.
One of my favourites of the old family images is this one on a child on a cows back taken in the 1890s on a pioneer farm in the Waitotara valley. Phyllis Haddow (great Aunt). Became one of our earlier women doctors around 1920. Because of the difficulty of finding work in the culture of the time she went as a missionary to China in 1923 . In a leprosy hospital up to about 1949 including time as a POW. From those beginnings greatness happens!
1866! Neat. A close friend of mine (in South Africa) has an enormous collection of glass negatives. It's pretty nice when the old stuff gets preserved.