Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2021, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #17941
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Congratulations on the new telescope, it looks like a stunning bit of kit. Is there anything particular you are looking to use it for?

My daughter-in-law has been in and out of astro for a while, hence the interest
Cheers. This particular scope should be ideal for planetary and lunar imaging. The previous owner had a T2 camera adapter for it but unfortunately I do not use Sony so it has been surplanted with a PK adapter. The native focal length of the scope is just a shade over 2000mm but it can be extended out to 6000m by using a 3x Barlow lens (tele-extender).
The mount it is on is OK for tracking the moon and planets but pretty limited in tracking for star pics. Fortunately I had previously bought an equatorial mount for another purpose. It looks like the Celestron might sit on the iOptron quite nicely. I'm still sorting out how to put dovetail plates on the scope.
iOptron CEM26 Goto EQ Mount ? Astronz

---------- Post added 2nd Sep 2021 at 07:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Oh ah a telescope!
That one will work nicely with binoviewers! I've got a pair incoming on slow boat shortly for my 6 in Dob
Also got one of these coming...Wow the technology !
Kewl. I think I will give the bino gadgets a miss but I did get a Pluto Trigger a while back.

Pluto Trigger - A versatile smart camera remote

Last edited by pixelsaurus; 09-01-2021 at 12:48 PM.
09-01-2021, 03:55 PM   #17942
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote

Kewl. I think I will give the bino gadgets a miss but I did get a Pluto Trigger a while back.

All this talk of astronomy and then mention of Pluto, and I thought you were talking about some off the shelf component of the New Horizons probe for a moment!

Seriously though, these look quite interesting. Where mum and dad live is quite thunderstorm prone, so it's tempting.

I know there is at least one person in the local camera club who has one, as they regularly submit bouncing water droplet and exploding balloon images.
09-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #17943
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Last one from this trip

09-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #17944
Pentaxian

Looks like this gold card is a dead loss

---------- Post added 2nd Sep 2021 at 12:03 PM ----------

I've got shocking floaters so single eye view pretty sad.
I found that binoculars magically clean them up. Most binoview converts don't go back to the single eye ( for sun, moon and planets)

that Pluto trigger looks like fun

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-01-2021, 06:21 PM   #17945
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Gosh it is 11 years ago now but one of my favourite crossings - done in winter.
Stitch image with a p&s
Lovely shot! I would not mind trying it in winter.
09-01-2021, 07:33 PM   #17946
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been on a bit of a buying binge this year. I also got a WeMacro focus rail for when I get around to macro. Wemacro Rail – focus stacking with wemacro

I also need to get a round tuit as well.

As well as macro, it could form the basis of a high precision foucault tester fortesting telescope mirrors.

---------- Post added 2nd Sep 2021 at 02:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
All this talk of astronomy and then mention of Pluto, and I thought you were talking about some off the shelf component of the New Horizons probe for a moment!

Seriously though, these look quite interesting. Where mum and dad live is quite thunderstorm prone, so it's tempting.

I know there is at least one person in the local camera club who has one, as they regularly submit bouncing water droplet and exploding balloon images.

I did get the water valve kit as well. The Pluto unit also came with a grunty little red laser. Great for tormenting moggies. Unfortunately it is missing a round tuit.

If anyone does get a Pluto, be careful with the laser. It came out of the box live ie the battery was installed and not insulated. I consider myself lucky I wasn't looking at it when I turned it on.
09-01-2021, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #17947
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been on a bit of a buying binge this year
You are not alone in that. K3 III, other stuff on its way...

09-01-2021, 09:59 PM - 2 Likes   #17948
Pentaxian

Speaking of technology and astronomy, my latest photography acquisition is in quite the opposite direction of high-tech. I found out that there are quite a few retailers including the Warehouse selling cyanotype kits. It's seriously retro as the chemistry was discovered in 1842 (by an astronomer), and gave rise to the term blueprint.
The bit that took the most searching was to find a retailer selling printable transparencies to make negatives, as overhead projectors aren't really much of a thing anymore, but I found a source in the end.
Apparently it has the capacity to be archival, although not as much so as silver.
09-02-2021, 01:11 AM   #17949
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Speaking of technology and astronomy, my latest photography acquisition is in quite the opposite direction of high-tech. I found out that there are quite a few retailers including the Warehouse selling cyanotype kits. It's seriously retro as the chemistry was discovered in 1842 (by an astronomer), and gave rise to the term blueprint.
The bit that took the most searching was to find a retailer selling printable transparencies to make negatives, as overhead projectors aren't really much of a thing anymore, but I found a source in the end.
Apparently it has the capacity to be archival, although not as much so as silver.
Excellent. If I was going to go retro, I would be tempted to go carbro. However that is no longer an option for me as sourcing materials would be problematic.

Carbon print - Wikipedia
09-02-2021, 01:39 AM - 3 Likes   #17950
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mountains, eh? Nearest I get is when I get out and stand beside the car...

...or if I'm really adventurous, I might even cross the road.

09-02-2021, 04:24 AM   #17951
Pentaxian

Excellent. If I was going to go retro, I would be tempted to go carbro. However that is no longer an option for me as sourcing materials would be problematic.

Carbon print - Wikipedia
Another image chemistry I didn't know about.

I thought about uranotypes, as the perfect companion to images captured with some of the Super Takumars with thorium glass. Why not photograph with a radioactive lens then print using a radioactive chemistry?
Actually the radiation levels are very low, but I suspect obtaining uranium nitrate isn't all that easy, and apparently it has very high chemical toxicity, never mind the radioactivity.

At least cyanotype chemicals are relatively non-toxic; one is even used as a food additive.
09-03-2021, 12:34 AM   #17952
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

So with the kind help of Hayden a HD DA 55-300mm PLM WR RE arrived this afternoon. I had the opportunity to take a few photos around the garden after work, including this Tauhou (Wax-eye).

Very initial use, but first impression - the focussing is extremely fast in comparison with the previous HD (screw drive) version. I am sure the K3-III is also helping but it is quick, so very happy with that, as those little suckers don't stay still for very long at all.

I was only focussing single point, and will test it over the weekend in continuous focus modes.

I have a bit of kit to sell now on TM - K-3, 50-200WR and HD 55-300 WR, which hopefully I will get listed this weekend.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
09-03-2021, 02:00 AM   #17953
Pentaxian

I have been on a bit of a buying binge this year..
We have had a rather unexpected and inadvertent anti-camera buying binge....
New knee for the dog....$3400.00 and counting... there goes my K1.. again... though I know which we would rather have...he is a sweetie.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/11231-bobd/albums/12280-oddie/picture114679.html
09-03-2021, 02:37 AM   #17954
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
So with the kind help of Hayden a HD DA 55-300mm PLM WR RE arrived this afternoon. I had the opportunity to take a few photos around the garden after work, including this Tauhou (Wax-eye).

Very initial use, but first impression - the focussing is extremely fast in comparison with the previous HD (screw drive) version. I am sure the K3-III is also helping but it is quick, so very happy with that, as those little suckers don't stay still for very long at all.

I was only focussing single point, and will test it over the weekend in continuous focus modes.

I have a bit of kit to sell now on TM - K-3, 50-200WR and HD 55-300 WR, which hopefully I will get listed this weekend.
I have the original K-3 and that lens. It’s freakin’ amazing. No other way to put it.

Not very fast aperture wise but another league focussing, tracking and clarity wise.
09-03-2021, 03:34 AM   #17955
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
We have had a rather unexpected and inadvertent anti-camera buying binge....
New knee for the dog....$3400.00 and counting... there goes my K1.. again... though I know which we would rather have...he is a sweetie.
Oddie2 - bobD's Album: Oddie - PentaxForums.com
How old is he Bob?