09-21-2021, 09:49 PM - 3 Likes   #18151
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Final last one ��

09-22-2021, 01:46 AM   #18152
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice one Richard. Your Tui seems more colourful than ours! And our trees are too high so I struggle to get anywhere near them. Maybe I need to get up on the house roof!
09-22-2021, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #18153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Final last one ��
That is gorgeous, the colours in the birds plumage is fabulous
09-22-2021, 05:06 PM - 2 Likes   #18154
Pentaxian

Beautiful plumage...

09-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #18155
Pentaxian

Hey does anyone know what type of bird you see out in paddocks/grassy hay type areas in the country?
They tend to just float up in one place, fairly high up and sing.
Skylark rings a bell but I'm not sure. From memory there can be flocks of them or just single, make a cool signing song but hard to see what they are from a distance.
09-22-2021, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #18156
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey does anyone know what type of bird you see out in paddocks/grassy hay type areas in the country?
Skylark rings a bell but I'm not sure. From memory there can be flocks of them or just single, make a cool signing song but hard to see what they are from a distance.
Sheep?
09-22-2021, 08:00 PM   #18157
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Skylarks are one of them, but NZ pipits can also be quite common. Skylarks are introduced, NZ pipits are native. Skylarks have a bit of a crest on their heads, pipits don't.

Eurasian skylark | New Zealand Birds Online

New Zealand pipit | New Zealand Birds Online

09-22-2021, 11:50 PM   #18158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Skylarks are one of them, but NZ pipits can also be quite common.
What he said.

The place I remember always hearing them was at Ohakea. Both at air shows and any time I'd stop by when passing through. Dad always said they were Skylarks. Bloody hard to photograph up there in the sky but I did see one land once and identified it as likely a Pipit, in large part due to it being a coastal location.
09-23-2021, 12:10 AM   #18159
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
What he said.

The place I remember always hearing them was at Ohakea. Both at air shows and any time I'd stop by when passing through. Dad always said they were Skylarks. Bloody hard to photograph up there in the sky but I did see one land once and identified it as likely a Pipit, in large part due to it being a coastal location.
I don't think Pipits do the aerial display like the Skylark but look very similar.
09-23-2021, 01:13 AM - 2 Likes   #18160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sheep do not fly, so much as plummet…
09-23-2021, 01:46 AM   #18161
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Sheep do not fly, so much as plummet…
Drag (physics) - Wikipedia

minecraft java edition - What is the terminal velocity of a sheep? - Arqade

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/129267/what-is-the-terminal-velocity-of-a-sheep

Last edited by bobD; 09-23-2021 at 01:51 AM.
09-23-2021, 02:30 AM   #18162
Pentaxian

Thanks everyone. Googled those two names and yeah think I’m thinking of skylarks.

Reminds me of country lanes on the west coast of The South Island.
09-25-2021, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #18163
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks to Alistair and his examples with the DA 55-300 WR using PhotoLab for processing, and my own statistical analysis of what sort of photos I actually take most of, and Ross for selling off gear that's surplus to requirements, I've acquired a DA 55-300 WR, and had a chance to have a bit of a play.
My experience is that even with noted deficiencies compared to the newer PLM model, the lens seems to be a significant improvement over similar Sigma lenses. Quite apart from optics, the quick shift and slightly greater zoom range really make a difference.
Given Alistair's helpful experiments, I mostly stuck to f/9 except for when I actually wanted greater DOF, and used TAV mode. I imported, keyworded, and added geolocation data in Lightroom, then processed in PhotoLab.
Photos are uploaded to Google Photos, and Google's compression may result in a little loss of quality compared to originals
This was the first time I've tried geotagging via track log in Lightroom, and it's great. The only thing I've noticed is that my K-70 does tend to lose time a bit compared to my phone. If I sync the time on the camera and the phone, then start a track log, and go out and shoot, then import the track log into Lightroom, I can auto-tag all the images I've taken with location, and it's remarkably accurate.
The stats continue to hold up, that though I definitely do shoot at longer focal lengths, they're relatively small proportion of overall images, so it's not worth making a big investment in 200mm+

Here are a few examples, all taken within 40 minutes walk from home. (Not a vineyard in sight. )

Didn't quite nail the focus on the bird for this one, but the flax is sharp enough.

Slight mystery here, as to my eyes, the fungi looked a lot browner.

This and the next image are why 55-300 is a lot more convenient than 70-300, especially in an environment that is windy and dusty.

There aren't supposed to be tree ferns growing on the Wither Hills, but I found one which was a pleasant surprise. It was up a steep gully (same as shown in previous pic), so full 300mm at work here.

DA 55-300 is no macro lens, and normally I'd use the D-FA 100/2.8 for this sort of subject, but I thought I'd give it a try for fun. I'm actually quite impressed how much detail it resolved.
09-25-2021, 04:51 PM   #18164
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Thanks to Alistair and his examples with the DA 55-300 WR using PhotoLab for processing, and my own statistical analysis of what sort of photos I actually take most of, and Ross for selling off gear that's surplus to requirements, I've acquired a DA 55-300 WR, and had a chance to have a bit of a play.
Thanks Christopher, I am pleased you are enjoying the lens.

---------- Post added 26-09-21 at 12:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
t's much easier when not full. Low lighting angle has crater walls lit against their shadows.. High in the sky better with less atmosphere to disturb the view
The Q seems to be quite good on a telescope
I must have a play with the Q and see what I can get

Thanks also for the nice comment on TM Pete, I appreciate it
09-26-2021, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #18165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally wrote this up. The core of the article is how to deal with VueScan's multi-crop settings (which defeated me for years) but I have written it up as a complete workflow.

Scanning Negatives with VueScan (Multi-frame)

And in other news, I see a package is out for delivery and I have three days off later this week. Expect, at the very least, excitement. And probably photos.