Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #18211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
I was wondering if the batteries were too full of juice. And if they were run down just a bit then the KP would accept them. I seem to recall something happening many years ago with people's K-5s, I think.
That's interesting. I do recall having this happen before with a single battery but couldn't say how long ago. Before the KP I had a K-5.

It fits with much of what happened, although all three batteries that were charged had been sitting in the camera bag for many weeks or months so I would expect them to have lost a little in sitting there. Then again, temperature changes were likely with all my handling of them for the many attempts, so maybe that is another factor.

10-09-2021, 09:11 PM   #18212
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I have not done this (but use VLC to connect iphones to my linux gear via web browser on a direct VLC server connection). Have you considered using VLC multicast? This looks promising.
Thanks for that Clarkey. I will look into it some more. I think it would require the computing power of a smart TV wouldn't it rather than the TV being just a monitor.? So like screen capture between two computers.
10-09-2021, 09:43 PM   #18213
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pīwakawaka (Fantail)

As I have discussed previously I have been keen to try and photograph a pīwakawaka (Fantail) at our botanic gardens to test out the K-3 III and 55-300 PLM. Finally today, one of the wee fella's obliged. It was a good test, as per usual it never stayed still for more than a few seconds. I had the camera set to TAV, High speed drive mode, continuous autofocus, and 9 autofocus points. Maximum ISO was set to 25,600.

I have shared these images below to show you what the K-3 III and 55-300 PLM can achieve. I am extremely happy with the results, and would have struggled to get any of these images with the K-3 and 55-300 WR. I have included images with plenty of clutter in them. Have a look at the ISO's. I haven't de-noised to clean the images up, so this should give you a reasonable indication of what the sensor is giving.

This wee fantail had been in a few scrapes, but did the job nicely as far as focus speed, accuracy and testing was concerned.

Cheers

Ross
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
10-09-2021, 10:32 PM   #18214
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots Ross. Such difficult birds to capture.

10-09-2021, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #18215
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nice shots Ross. Such difficult birds to capture.
Thanks Mark, that is for sure regarding capture
10-10-2021, 01:18 AM - 2 Likes   #18216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's seven more shots than I managed today in my back garden when it comes to fantails. I didn't even fire the shutter!

However yesterday I was also making attempts at "anything that will fly within range" and I did, just barely, manage to capture this tui. This is a very aggressive crop comprising only the top 46% of the frame height (and 55% width). It's not good enough for me to put on Flickr, but I was happy to at least get it in the frame and not a black smudge. I have decided that although the tuis frequently whisk through my garden at low level, I simply don't have long enough sight lines to be ready for them. I only got this one because I was already aiming at it in a tree, hoping it would fly towards me.
Attached Images

10-10-2021, 01:33 AM   #18217
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
As I have discussed previously I have been keen to try and photograph a pīwakawaka (Fantail) at our botanic gardens to test out the K-3 III and 55-300 PLM. Finally today, one of the wee fella's obliged. It was a good test, as per usual it never stayed still for more than a few seconds. I had the camera set to TAV, High speed drive mode, continuous autofocus, and 9 autofocus points. Maximum ISO was set to 25,600.

I have shared these images below to show you what the K-3 III and 55-300 PLM can achieve. I am extremely happy with the results, and would have struggled to get any of these images with the K-3 and 55-300 WR. I have included images with plenty of clutter in them. Have a look at the ISO's. I haven't de-noised to clean the images up, so this should give you a reasonable indication of what the sensor is giving.

This wee fantail had been in a few scrapes, but did the job nicely as far as focus speed, accuracy and testing was concerned.

Cheers

Ross
Any Fantail that has made it through the winter looks a bit threadbare!
How much cropping Ross?

10-10-2021, 01:39 AM   #18218
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Any Fantail that has made it through the winter looks a bit threadbare!
How much cropping Ross?
Images 853, 861 are un-cropped (first image and the last image), the rest about 50% crop

---------- Post added 10-10-21 at 09:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
That's seven more shots than I managed today in my back garden when it comes to fantails. I didn't even fire the shutter!
This is my third visit to the botanic gardens to try and find fantails .

A Tui in flight is good skills!

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 10-10-2021 at 01:49 AM.
10-10-2021, 01:45 AM - 3 Likes   #18219
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All the times that I have had a fantail up close, I did not have a camera! LOL

This is the best I've managed and it's pretty poor.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
10-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #18220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mark,

That first image is just stunning. So much emotion and gesture in it.

Regards

Chris
10-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #18221
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Chris. Wish I was closer to it and the light was poor so high ISO.
10-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #18222
Veteran Member

That did cross my mind, but the shutter count is only at 7,152 which is something like a dozen battery changes, so I would have thought wear and soiling to be unlikely? I did get it second hand, but I'm responsible for over 90% of those shots and the only moist conditions it has been in were in Singapore over 2 years ago.

The bit I find most perplexing is that the depleted third party battery was 100% reliable even when the other three were not.
The battery contacts could be a problem even after so few changes, batteries sitting in bags etc still get exposed to the atmosphere, and may need a little clean, also clean the contacts on your charger, it may be a charger issue. If you are using a 3rd party charger, sometimes they do not stop charging when the battery reports full, and turns off, but turns to a trickle type charge that can affect the battery performance.

---------- Post added 10-10-21 at 01:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Hayden, on a slightly different topic - where would you recommend getting film processed and scanned these days.

I haven't picked my film camera's up for a while, so planning to make some use of them over the next month and shoot some rolls of film
Here in the shop, we use WPS in Wellington for our D&P work, they have been pretty good, another Wellington based lab that seems to have a pretty good reputation is Splendid Photo, they mainly do Dev & Scan work, in most formats, 110, 35mm and 120, plus for any movie shooters, they can dev & scan at 1080p Super 8 movie as well!
10-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #18223
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm having the weirdest problem with my KP. Yesterday I was shooting in the back garden and noticed my battery was almost depleted. I went to my camera bag and grabbed, blindly, one of my three other batteries and put it in. The camera would not turn on. Odd, I thought. All my spares should be fully charged. So I tried another one. Same problem. And the third and final one. Same problem!
Sounds like a problem with the batteries or the camera.

I love how helpful forums can be
10-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #18224
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi645hauler Quote
Here in the shop, we use WPS in Wellington for our D&P work, they have been pretty good, another Wellington based lab that seems to have a pretty good reputation is Splendid Photo, they mainly do Dev & Scan work, in most formats, 110, 35mm and 120, plus for any movie shooters, they can dev & scan at 1080p Super 8 movie as well!
Thanks Hayden, that is really helpful
10-10-2021, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #18225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi645hauler Quote
The battery contacts could be a problem even after so few changes, batteries sitting in bags etc still get exposed to the atmosphere, and may need a little clean, also clean the contacts on your charger, it may be a charger issue. If you are using a 3rd party charger, sometimes they do not stop charging when the battery reports full, and turns off, but turns to a trickle type charge that can affect the battery performance.
I don't think it's the charger because when the batteries do work they report a full charge and (so far) continue on as usual. I looked at the battery contacts. The Pentax ones are pristine and the third party ones look a little scratched but still shiny. Not sure how to assess the camera's contacts though. That's a pretty deep hole.

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Sounds like a problem with the batteries or the camera.

I love how helpful forums can be
Ross got the sarcastic post of the year, I'm going to nominate you for the most helpful post of the year.

I have very few fantail shots, but I do have one taken in my back garden which is probably one of my favourite bird shots I've ever taken. Helped by the neighbour's yellow coloured house.

And on the subject of 'bedraggled' fantails, this little one had something 'not quite right'. Seen in Kuirau Park, Rotorua.