Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2021, 06:43 PM   #18271
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GDN Quote
Hello,

Any chance of jumping in and joining this group?

A k3 user, and a lens or two living in the South Island.

Cheers

Gary
Welcome aboard Gary!
Kind regards from Masterton.

10-25-2021, 06:57 PM   #18272
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had a play with PhotoLab 5. Exporting with DeepPrime noise reduction is noticeably quicker, although still slow on my Windows laptop, and it supports hierarchical keywords now along with IPTC metadata fields.
It still doesn't support geotagging via map view though, which means Lightroom still has a use for me.
Looking at upgrade cost, Adobe Photography plan is still good value, as it's a bit over a year since PhotoLab 4 came out and the upgrade cost is a bit less than a year's Adobe subscription, but Adobe includes Photoshop as well, and a portfolio website for those who don't have their own web hosting.
My evaluation is that Corel Paintshop Pro + DxO PhotoLab could do 99% of what I use my Adobe subscription for, however if I purchased every upgrade it would actually cost more, but since both have a perpetual license, if I only upgraded every 2nd or 3rd edition it would be cheaper.
I think Adobe's subscription model is actually fairly priced compared to alternatives if it offers the features users need, however Lightroom/ACR are lagging a long way behind the competition when it comes to noise reduction and that's a fairly critical feature I think most people would expect from their raw processing software.
10-25-2021, 11:50 PM   #18273
GDN

Photos: Albums
Hey people who know more than I do.

What's do I need to resize an image to before I post it? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Gary
10-25-2021, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #18274
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hey people who know more than I do.

What's do I need to resize an image to before I post it? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Gary
Photos will be auto-scaled if you don't want to worry about it yourself, however for the best quality attachments you should scale manually to no more than 1400px wide and 900px tall.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2021, 12:47 AM - 6 Likes   #18275
GDN

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Photos will be auto-scaled if you don't want to worry about it yourself, however for the best quality attachments you should scale manually to no more than 1400px wide and 900px tall.
Thanks Adam.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #18276
Pentaxian

Very nice Gary, welcome.
I'm an ex Pentax user, though I still have a couple of Pentax camera bags so still qualify to be here! I moved to Nikon many moons ago do keep up with my sports photography.
10-26-2021, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #18277
Pentaxian

Nice waterfall. Where is it?

Here's one from me from Labour Day.

10-27-2021, 01:11 PM   #18278
Pentaxian

Interesting having a play with the new features in PhotoLab 5 and the latest Lightroom Classic. The improvements to U-Point technology in PhotoLab and new masking features in Lightroom are both impressive. Lightroom's object select and sky select work really well and are pretty accurate, but are slow to make a selection, whereas U-Point refinements in PhotoLab have no impact on speed, but do add nice options to refine selection.
One of the reasons I was drawn to PhotoLab in the first place, was my experience with U-Point in Nik filters, that I found produced better results faster than using selection brush tools in Lightroom, but the new AI powered object select in Lightroom has me less certain that PhotoLab always has the edge for selective adjustments now. I can see use cases for both, and Lightroom still has the Achilles heel of noise reduction that's been neglected for a while.
I know there's quite a lot of discussion around computational photography reducing the need for dedicated gear, but usually that seems to be talk around cameras themselves. Looking at some of my images, the improvements in selective lighting adjustment might not make me want to throw away my camera for a phone, but they are allowing for results that would otherwise require fill flash or a reflector to get similar results, albeit with a bit more noise, although in the case of PhotoLab, the noise reduction is so good, it hardly matters.

I do wonder how some of the open source image editing apps will fare with the growing trend towards use of AI. It's computationally intensive, and needs lots of samples to train, so I'm not sure if that gives an advantage to large commercial companies. Adobe, with their stock library have plenty of images to train their AI for object recognition for example.

Something I'd describe as a bug in PhotoLab 5 is that although it can display much more metadata now, including hierarchical keywords, images imported from Lightroom have most metadata missing, including metadata that previously displayed, however at least when exported back to Lightroom it's there again. I don't know if DxO have chosen a different data structure for hierarchical keywords to Adobe that's causing keywords not to show at all, but I think it's a bug, as I can export from Lightroom to various web platforms, and the keywords are all recognised, just not the hierarchies, but PL 5 isn't showing any of them. Also I notice it's not showing geotagging data even though it's got fields to enter it. Once again, I don't think this is any proprietary behaviour by Adobe, but a bug, as any web platform can pick up this data no problem, and embedded location data can be done in camera if you've got a GPS unit, so it's a widely supported standard.
10-27-2021, 11:23 PM - 4 Likes   #18279
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just doing a linux build for a grandson. 12yrs?. Should do alright as a screen background. Started off as a coal in the fire with the K-1. Courtesy of Gimp
Attached Images

10-27-2021, 11:53 PM - 3 Likes   #18280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Just doing a linux build for a grandson. 12yrs?. Should do alright as a screen background. Started off as a coal in the fire with the K-1. Courtesy of Gimp
I don't know what sort of coal you burn on your fire, but it looks pretty apocalyptic.
10-28-2021, 12:07 AM - 3 Likes   #18281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apocoalyptic!
10-28-2021, 12:37 AM   #18282
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Apocoalyptic!
Close - Apoeucolyptic
10-28-2021, 01:14 AM   #18283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I've had a play with PhotoLab 5. Exporting with DeepPrime noise reduction is noticeably quicker, although still slow on my Windows laptop, and it supports hierarchical keywords now along with IPTC metadata fields.
It still doesn't support geotagging via map view though, which means Lightroom still has a use for me.
The noise reduction is certainly a heck of a party trick, but more important to me is the sharpness I can extract with PhotoLab. I'm going back to 10 year old photos and reprocessing them to double the original size I published in most cases and they almost all look incredible. If the noise reduction went away I would be extremely sad, but so long as that sharpness stayed I'd still be a disciple. How pleased am I with this sharpness? I've just started on another set of 167 photos which were taken in 2011 and, when complete, will bring my reprocessed total to 1,585 photos. The earliest from 2008 (bounded only by when I started shooting RAW.).

Interesting having a play with the new features in PhotoLab 5 and the latest Lightroom Classic. The improvements to U-Point technology in PhotoLab and new masking features in Lightroom are both impressive. Lightroom's object select and sky select work really well and are pretty accurate, but are slow to make a selection, whereas U-Point refinements in PhotoLab have no impact on speed, but do add nice options to refine selection.
I always found Control Points to be a bit fiddly to do tasks I needed, but the Control Lines, particularly with the Luma/Chroma sensitivity adjustment are a game changer for me. I was on the fence about upgrading this time around but Control Lines have pushed me off, on the side of paying up.

Something I'd describe as a bug in PhotoLab 5 is that although it can display much more metadata now, including hierarchical keywords, images imported from Lightroom have most metadata missing, including metadata that previously displayed, however at least when exported back to Lightroom it's there again. I don't know if DxO have chosen a different data structure for hierarchical keywords to Adobe that's causing keywords not to show at all, but I think it's a bug, as I can export from Lightroom to various web platforms, and the keywords are all recognised, just not the hierarchies, but PL 5 isn't showing any of them. Also I notice it's not showing geotagging data even though it's got fields to enter it. Once again, I don't think this is any proprietary behaviour by Adobe, but a bug, as any web platform can pick up this data no problem, and embedded location data can be done in camera if you've got a GPS unit, so it's a widely supported standard.
There's a LOT of discussion over in the DxO forums on this topic, including a thread I started explaining why I'm still going to be using LrC for my keywording needs. Turns out while there are "working group standards" for hierarchical keywords, the software implementations out in the world are a bit of a mess and in the short bit of testing I did with PL5, it differs from LrC in important respects with how it handles keywords. The advice someone gave, and which I intend to stick to, is only ever touch metadata (and particularly keywords) in one application.

There is also plenty of discussion on what PhotoLab should "be" with only a few active forum members favouring the "full featured" route. Indeed there is something to be said for accepting their lagging position on the DAM front and backing off even, in favour of the stuff they do best. Many users use the likes of iMatch or PhotoMechanic Plus as their DAM and only use PhotoLab like others might use PhotoShop. Personally, I wish they'd just shore up the DAM a little — get what's there already working well.

For geotagging, I long ago bought a HoudahGeo license and while it's an odd interface, it works well enough. As a result I maintain LrC on a free Adobe account with only the Library module active and that does keywording like no other.

----

And welcome, Gary! Wellingtonian here.
10-30-2021, 12:09 AM - 3 Likes   #18284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of the time I am pushing, prodding, tweaking my photos to look crisp and bright and appealing — especially my aircraft shots. Today I spent a little time seeing what capabilities DxO FilmPack 6 has. I have FilmPack 5 and apart from a few features it usefully adds to PhotoLab I tend not to use it much. I decided I should use it more!

This was today's effort. It was properly sharpened and de-noised first before applying all the treatments, including adding a defocus effect and grain.

11-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #18285
Pentaxian

Welcome on board from the north island. 📷 I too have the original K-3 and still going strong 💪

Hello,

Any chance of jumping in and joining this group?

A k3 user, and a lens or two living in the South Island.

Cheers

Gary