Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2021, 09:43 PM - 2 Likes   #18286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had two long weekends in a row here as a result of Marlborough Anniversary, so I got out and about a bit.
Technically, I'm not sure whether this is Marlborough or Nelson, because it's right on the boundary, but it does look nice.
I can say that I've been on the Te Araroa Trail now, as in stood on it. I'm not sure that I could find 3 months or so to walk the length of the country.

11-03-2021, 12:08 AM   #18287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I had two long weekends in a row here as a result of Marlborough Anniversary, so I got out and about a bit.
Technically, I'm not sure whether this is Marlborough or Nelson, because it's right on the boundary, but it does look nice.
I can say that I've been on the Te Araroa Trail now, as in stood on it. I'm not sure that I could find 3 months or so to walk the length of the country.
That is indeed a lovely spot. I've never personally seen one of those sloping lakes, though it doesn't look big enough for downhill waterskiing.

I walk part of the Te Araroa trail 5 days a week. Pretty hard to avoid as my office is situated on it – aka lower Willis Street in Wellington.
11-03-2021, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #18288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was recent discussion of the non-PLM 55-300 lens models being sharpest at f/11, as tested by several people here including me. I've been going back over a set of photos taken at Omaka in 2011 and I notice I was using the ED lens as wide open as it would let me, it seems, with most shots in the f/4-5.6 range. I'm reasonably certain I want to blame that for several defects I'm spotting quite a bit of. Back then I was publishing images at 1600px wide and did not have a high definition display, nor PhotoLab to bring the best out of the system, so probably didn't notice much of this, though they are there to see in the original JPEGs.

1. Blooming. Where there are very bright edges against a dark background, e.g. a white or bright yellow wing against a deep grey sky, the bright colour has a glow emanating into the dark area.
2. Parallax. High contrast edges near the edge of the frame are 'doubled'.

Examples of both below, as rendered in PhotoLab. These were taken with the K-5 which is no slouch in terms of resolving what the lens gives it.
Attached Images

11-03-2021, 01:38 AM   #18289
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Examples of both below, as rendered in PhotoLab. These were taken with the K-5 which is no slouch in terms of resolving what the lens gives it.
Interesting. Thanks for the analysis

11-03-2021, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #18290
GDN

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Very nice Gary, welcome.
I'm an ex Pentax user, though I still have a couple of Pentax camera bags so still qualify to be here! I moved to Nikon many moons ago do keep up with my sports photography.
I am not an ex Pentax user, but the amount of Pentax gear is not what it used to be in my collection. I still have a k3 and a K1000 with a handful of lenses.

Gary

---------- Post added 11-03-21 at 02:01 AM ----------

Nice waterfall. Where is it?

Here's one from me from Labour Day.

Nice image.

Mine is of the Devil's Punchbowl at Arthurs Pass. The plan was to get an image as the sun came up. So an early start for a drive from Christchurch. Okay, the final image didn't work out as planned, but I like how the mountain mist works as well.

Gary

---------- Post added 11-03-21 at 02:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Welcome on board from the north island. 📷 I too have the original K-3 and still going strong 💪
Thanks Richard.

I recognize your user name from another Pentax forum!

Thanks again.

Gary
11-03-2021, 02:47 AM   #18291
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is indeed a lovely spot. I've never personally seen one of those sloping lakes, though it doesn't look big enough for downhill waterskiing.
Your water skis might be just about long enough to build a bridge, although technically it's not a lake, just the part of the bog where you can see the water. It was a good test of the waterproofing of my boots.

I walk part of the Te Araroa trail 5 days a week. Pretty hard to avoid as my office is situated on it – aka lower Willis Street in Wellington.
I think I'd go through a few pairs of boots walking 3,000km of that! They'd probably pick me up and take me to a homeless shelter if I took out a billy and gas cooker and sat down to make lunch.

---------- Post added 11-03-21 at 10:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GDN Quote

Mine is of the Devil's Punchbowl at Arthurs Pass. The plan was to get an image as the sun came up. So an early start for a drive from Christchurch. Okay, the final image didn't work out as planned, but I like how the mountain mist works as well.
I probably should have recognised it. I was there in January last year. It looks a bit different with the mist, and without humans everywhere, mind you back then was when there were reports just starting to emerge of some new virus in China making people sick and causing some to die, and there were hordes of tourists around still.
11-03-2021, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #18292
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

mind you back then was when there were reports just starting to emerge of some new virus in China making people sick and causing some to die, and there were hordes of tourists around still.
how the world has changed!!

11-09-2021, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #18293
Pentaxian

1. Blooming. Where there are very bright edges against a dark background, e.g. a white or bright yellow wing against a deep grey sky, the bright colour has a glow emanating into the dark area.
2. Parallax. High contrast edges near the edge of the frame are 'doubled'.
I've been going back over earlier images recently too (getting some acrylic prints made) and it's interesting to revisit these with all the subsequent years of development in Lightroom in my case. I was getting quite angry with one of my images and when I checked the details it was with the Tamron zoom. I recall that being sharp (and solid, like you could play cricket with it) but the chromatic aberration was just chronic with wild green and purple blooming on every light to dark edge.

If I'm honest, that's one of the major benefits to the two newer Pentax lenses I now own. I think the image sensors have been good enough for quite some time, and it's now (as always) down to the quality of the physical optics feeding the sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by GDN Quote

Thanks Richard.

I recognize your user name from another Pentax forum!

Thanks again.

Gary
All good Gary, yeah small world.
With family in the UK I have purchased nearly all of my gear from there and have been a member of PentaxUser for longer than here.

My portfolio there
11-10-2021, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #18294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

r

Just a reminder there is a partial lunar eclipse on the 19th.

Details: Eclipses in 2021

11-18-2021, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #18295
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Just a reminder there is a partial lunar eclipse on the 19th.
I think I shall have to give the 250-600 a try
11-18-2021, 01:21 AM   #18296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I think I shall have to give the 250-600 a try
Bonza beaut. Remember image size of the moon is approximately (focal length/110)mm.
11-18-2021, 01:44 AM   #18297
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Bonza beaut. Remember image size of the moon is approximately (focal length/110)mm.
Cheers - I have been reading various 'how to photograph a lunar eclipse' articles this evening, so that I don't totally muck it up
11-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #18298
Pentaxian

Heads up (although not a full eclipse this time around?) things get really dim during the peak period and suddenly you don’t have much light to work with.

Still need a fairly fast shutter speed too, as the damn earth keeps spinning pretty quickly.
11-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #18299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Heads up (although not a full eclipse this time around?) things get really dim during the peak period and suddenly you don’t have much light to work with.

Still need a fairly fast shutter speed too, as the damn earth keeps spinning pretty quickly.
97% of the moon will be covered at max eclipse at around 10:03 pm tonight so most of the disk will be dark with just a thin sliver on the edge fully illuminated.

There are some exposure tables here: How to Photograph a Lunar Eclipse
11-18-2021, 11:56 PM   #18300
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

There are some exposure tables here: How to Photograph a Lunar Eclipse
Cheers, that is really helpful