Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2022, 01:25 AM   #18451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I ended up with several results I liked.
I love that first shot. Gorgeous, moody colours.

01-17-2022, 02:04 AM   #18452
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I love that first shot. Gorgeous, moody colours.
My 10 year old daughter is quite a little photography critic. She looked at the several that I took and started going through saying that they were nice, but she came to that one and said that it was better than all the rest.

Incidentally, they were with my D-FA 28-105. I keep thinking I should get a DA 16-85 because I have an APS-C sensor, but the 28-105 was going cheap, and I've found I actually really like it.
Back in the film era, 35-70 seemed to be about standard for a zoom; 28-105 is roughly 42-153 equivalent, so not quite as wide, but still a bit wider than a 50mm 'standard' lens on full frame.

If I'd had a 16-85 I wouldn't have bought it, but now I have it, I'm not in any great rush to buy a wider walk-around zoom.

Last edited by Kiwizinho; 01-17-2022 at 02:13 AM.
01-17-2022, 04:19 PM   #18453
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, the first one is my pick of the two.
01-21-2022, 10:38 PM - 4 Likes   #18454
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another trip to Zealandia today (my third this year) was a huge success. I still don't have any really good Tieke shots, but came away with probably my best Korimako shot so far.

Also, having heard the Hihi again I decided to go up to the area they are known to hang about (the Heritage Area). That's twice I've been up to that area and twice I've seen Hihi there at close quarters. As I arrived in the area I spotted a bloke looking up into the trees, so I asked what he was watching. "I can't see anything but a man who just went past said there was a Saddleback". I spent about the next 20 minutes in the area talking to him. I found the Tieke, but it was pretty well hidden photographically. I was then explaining to the man, who said he was down from Auckland, that this was the best area to see Hihi and that I had heard the calls on my way up there. For the next 5 minutes or so I could hear the calls very close by, but could not see any. After a visit from a small Korimako, I was trying to photograph a young Robin that had turned up when the man said "there it is!"

For the next 10 minutes or so we were treated to three Hihi flitting around the feeding stations and the surrounding trees, along with the Korimako returning a few times trying (unsuccessfully) to chase them off.

It was half an hour after when I had planned to exit and I was well inside the park so I said goodbye to the man (who was still elated at having seen the Hihi) and made a fairly quick walk back down to the entrance. On my way down the main path — Lake Road — I noticed a few people standing looking at the edge of the path, one of whom had a Zealandia uniform on. As I got near, she pointed downwards...

I had no idea they could come out from behind the fence where I have seen them every other time. Being right there on the path it was much easier to appreciate the size, shape, and colour as normally you can only see part of them in dappled sunlight and shade in a well camouflaged resting spot.

01-22-2022, 02:16 AM   #18455
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Another trip to Zealandia today (my third this year) was a huge success.
Great story and images, thanks for sharing. My son who lives in Wellington was also there today
01-22-2022, 06:41 AM   #18456
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another trip to Zealandia today (my third this year) was a huge success.
Nice shots!
01-22-2022, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #18457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
My son who lives in Wellington was also there today
There were quite a few people there in the middle of the day compared to the last two visits, but still well down on what I experienced on my first visit a few years ago. I've decided it is a replacement for my gym membership. I've not even really explored the longer/steeper trails yet.

01-22-2022, 05:18 PM   #18458
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another trip to Zealandia today (my third this year) was a huge success. I still don't have any really good Tieke shots, but came away with probably my best Korimako shot so far.

Also, having heard the Hihi again I decided to go up to the area they are known to hang about (the Heritage Area). That's twice I've been up to that area and twice I've seen Hihi there at close quarters. As I arrived in the area I spotted a bloke looking up into the trees, so I asked what he was watching. "I can't see anything but a man who just went past said there was a Saddleback". I spent about the next 20 minutes in the area talking to him. I found the Tieke, but it was pretty well hidden photographically. I was then explaining to the man, who said he was down from Auckland, that this was the best area to see Hihi and that I had heard the calls on my way up there. For the next 5 minutes or so I could hear the calls very close by, but could not see any. After a visit from a small Korimako, I was trying to photograph a young Robin that had turned up when the man said "there it is!"

For the next 10 minutes or so we were treated to three Hihi flitting around the feeding stations and the surrounding trees, along with the Korimako returning a few times trying (unsuccessfully) to chase them off.

It was half an hour after when I had planned to exit and I was well inside the park so I said goodbye to the man (who was still elated at having seen the Hihi) and made a fairly quick walk back down to the entrance. On my way down the main path — Lake Road — I noticed a few people standing looking at the edge of the path, one of whom had a Zealandia uniform on. As I got near, she pointed downwards...

I had no idea they could come out from behind the fence where I have seen them every other time. Being right there on the path it was much easier to appreciate the size, shape, and colour as normally you can only see part of them in dappled sunlight and shade in a well camouflaged resting spot.
Great shots Alister.
01-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #18459
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All great images, but I especially like that one of the tuatuara. Seeing one up close in the light like that is impressive.
01-24-2022, 04:13 PM   #18460
Pentaxian

Good stuuf, I've got a bad photo of a hihi there back in the early days before I knew what i was doing with a camera. Been meaning to go back one day.
02-02-2022, 06:37 PM   #18461
Pentaxian

Another trip to Zealandia today (my third this year) was a huge success....
sure was !
That KP certainly does the job.
I've more or less decided to sell the K-1 and get one.
Have to be second hand from Japan but don't mind
02-02-2022, 09:12 PM   #18462
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I've more or less decided to sell the K-1 and get one.
Will you sell it on TM?
02-02-2022, 09:32 PM   #18463
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Will you sell it on TM?
More than one person here might be interested in the reply
02-03-2022, 12:59 AM   #18464
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Will you sell it on TM?
I might go down that road eventually
02-03-2022, 02:33 AM   #18465
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably a bit expensive but they don't come up often. The zoom is shite.
Trade Me