Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2022, 09:12 PM   #18586
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's my plot. Quite obvious where I spend most of my time.

Attached Images

03-27-2022, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #18587
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Versus 10x the number of aircraft shots where there is a big shift towards the middle. I would have guessed they'd be a lot closer. But I guess I can get a lot closer to some aircraft relative to their size.
Attached Images

03-28-2022, 01:29 AM   #18588
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's mine for aviation.
I think I made the right purchase decision going with the K-70 rather than KP as I have far fewer images than you.
03-28-2022, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #18589
Pentaxian

Must be time for another photo rather than just talking about them.
This was my view on Sunday morning. Photos of the jetty at the other end of the lake have been just about done to death on Instagram and other social media, but this end of Rotoiti is in some respects even better, but it's either a 3 hour tramp or 15 minute boat trip.
Sigma 10-20 @ 19mm f/9.

03-28-2022, 10:58 PM   #18590
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
his end of Rotoiti is in some respects even better, but it's either a 3 hour tramp or 15 minute boat trip.
That is a really nice image Christopher. I like it. Thanks for sharing.

Ross
03-29-2022, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #18591
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
That is a really nice image Christopher. I like it. Thanks for sharing.

Ross
Thanks. It's been a bit of a rough time lately, but going somewhere beautiful and making some good memories is a good way to deal with things, plus photography provides the means to share.
03-29-2022, 06:54 AM   #18592
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Must be time for another photo rather than just talking about them.
This was my view on Sunday morning. Photos of the jetty at the other end of the lake have been just about done to death on Instagram and other social media, but this end of Rotoiti is in some respects even better, but it's either a 3 hour tramp or 15 minute boat trip.
Sigma 10-20 @ 19mm f/9.
Really like this. Love both Rotoiti and Okataina lakes in the winter (and hope to visit this July). Can be great fishing, too. Glad your photography gave you some solace.

03-29-2022, 06:10 PM   #18593
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was my view on Sunday morning.
Wow, that's gorgeous! A calming influence for sure.
03-29-2022, 08:34 PM   #18594
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Really like this. Love both Rotoiti and Okataina lakes in the winter (and hope to visit this July). Can be great fishing, too. Glad your photography gave you some solace.
This one's the South Island Rotoiti in Nelson Lakes National Park.

It literally means 'small lake' so I guess whoever showed up there first decided it was a small lake and thus called it 'rotoiti', and someone else did the same up north.

It's quite funny actually, as people sometimes mock New Zealand for boring English names like 'North Island' and 'South Island', however it's actually in keeping with a long history of naming tradition in this part of the world.

I've done a few linguistics papers, and also did two years of studying Māori a couple of years ago, and I realised something really funny.

Up in the north Pacific, there are some islands called Tokelau, and quite a bit further south is Tonga. If you know any linguistics, you'll know L and R sounds are easily confused, and there have been a few jokes at the expense of Asian pronunciation of English as a result.
Tokelau would be Tokerau in Māori, and Tonga, well just Tonga, and guess what they mean? North, and South! Captain Cook not only wasn't very creative in his naming, but not very original either, as someone had already named some north islands and south islands in the Pacific.

---------- Post added 03-30-22 at 05:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Wow, that's gorgeous! A calming influence for sure.
If you're ever over for another Classic Fighters, it's under an hour and a half up SH63 from Blenheim to Rotoiti.

I've been to the lake lots of times, and up Mount Robert a few, but for some reason this was the first time I'd been to the head of the lake, and now I've done it, I'm not sure why I took so long to get around to it.
We were lucky too, with only two other people staying in the 12 bunk hut, although there were a handful of kayakers camped out in tents.

I didn't really try bird photography but I should have, as there were heaps of fantails, tomtits, and the odd bush robin about.

I did manage to get this little guy sitting on the jetty. (D-FA 28-105 @ 105 f/8)

03-29-2022, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #18595
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally got my a into g this morning and touched my K-70. Fortunately the cloud played ball.
This is apparently a fallstreak hole or Punch hole.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallstreak_hole
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by pixelsaurus; 03-30-2022 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Update
03-29-2022, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #18596
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
I finally got my a into g this morning and touched my K-70. Fortunately the cloud played ball.
That's an impressive cloudscape. I don't think I've seen anything quite like that before.
03-29-2022, 11:31 PM   #18597
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's an impressive cloudscape. I don't think I've seen anything quite like that before.
It started as a contrail. I think it probably got trapped in the cirrus and the easterly flow took care of the rest.
03-30-2022, 12:04 AM   #18598
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same cloud 9 minutes earlier.
Attached Images

03-30-2022, 12:23 AM   #18599
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that is very cool
03-30-2022, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #18600
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is apparently a fallstreak hole or Punch hole.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallstreak_hole
Very cool. Thanks for the wikipedia link. I've learnt something new today!