Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2022, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #18721
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Have a stack of 35mm lenses sitting gathering dust for the same reason.
LOL...all this time I thought you were a lens collector...
...I see now you have other collections..

04-26-2022, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #18722
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
LOL...all this time I thought you were a lens collector...
...I see now you have other collections..
yes a nice collection of dead skin particles frosting the study
04-27-2022, 03:16 AM   #18723
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Loving the recent shots, all great 👍🏻
04-27-2022, 05:52 PM   #18724
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Yes, my first thought when we came around Lyall Bay and saw the view for the first time was "where's the snow?" But apart from a few days down to 5 degrees, it's still been pretty warm around here, often in the mid twenties.

I'd be pretty keen to see pics of the North Island from your way when you have the opportunity (or if you already have some).

This afternoon I went out into the back garden with my audio recorder to try and capture a chattering Fantail, which I did manage. But I was quite surprised when I looked up into a tree to see "that other bird that was hopping about up there" was this.

I actually tried what I mentioned previously... lift the max ISO (to 8000 instead of 6400), and set AF.C and continuous shutter. 92 shots later, I'm not sure I like this approach. It's interesting the ISO of all the shots: 4 x 3200, 4 x 4000, 2 x 5000, 8 x 6400, 74 x 8000.

Here are the other three shots I chose for processing and publication.

Lovely images. I've seen flocks in the Wairarapa, but never when I have a camera nearby.

04-27-2022, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #18725
Pentaxian

Stinking Rosellas ...live rounds next time :-)
04-30-2022, 02:37 AM   #18726
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like I have scored this AF adapter plus (with a bit of detective work) a F 50 1.7 (not the lens on the adapter.)
Has anyone got one of these adapters? I gather they are a bit rare but do the job of focusing manual focus lenses
SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter Reviews - Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Attached Images

04-30-2022, 03:40 AM   #18727
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like I have scored this AF adapter plus (with a bit of detective work) a F 50 1.7 (not the lens on the adapter.)
Has anyone got one of these adapters? I gather they are a bit rare but do the job of focusing manual focus lenses
SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter Reviews - Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Hi GUB, yes I have one - and they work well providing an AF mechanism for MF lenses. What I have found is if you are already near to focus then the adaptor is relatively quick in finalising the focus.

I have generally used it on my manual telephotos rather than my wides. The AF adaptor worked very well with the M*300 (which I have subsequently sold).

04-30-2022, 06:59 AM   #18728
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Stinking Rosellas ...live rounds next time :-)
Better than magpies or spurwings!
04-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #18729
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Hi GUB, yes I have one - and they work well providing an AF mechanism for MF lenses. What I have found is if you are already near to focus then the adaptor is relatively quick in finalising the focus.

I have generally used it on my manual telephotos rather than my wides. The AF adaptor worked very well with the M*300 (which I have subsequently sold).
I guess it is a case of going through my fast 50s in K mount to see if something gells.
04-30-2022, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #18730
Pentaxian

wtf $64 with the adapter ?!!!
I borrow one from my friend,
great for making anything AF
04-30-2022, 05:31 PM   #18731
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Better than magpies or spurwings!
My father used to call the latter Spur-winged-bloody-plovers (SWBPs). Noisy buggers, though they seem to have declined a little around here in recent years. I just don't hear them as often as I used to. Magpies have declined even more. They were common as muck around Pukerua Bay when I was growing up, but I probably only see them once or twice a year now. I reckon their disappearance has coincided with the increase in Tui. While they don't compete for food, they are both very aggressive species.

I have an interesting tale about SWBPs. The first time I ever saw any was in the Wairau Valley on our way down to Murchison for Christmas Hols when I was a kid. We'd not seen them before on those trips. Some years later they started appearing around home in the Wellington area. Then we'd encounter them further north in later years still. Consulting my field guide it says they colonised in the 1930s and then started rapid spread from the 1960s, which would fit with my early-to-mid-70s memory of them in the Wairau. Seems now if you want to get away from them you have to go to Fiordland.

Now imagine all of the fun of traveling to Singapore and checking out all the exotic bird species at Jurong Bird Park (highly recommended by the way!) and in the Birds of Asia exhibit, coming across this "Masked Lapwing".
04-30-2022, 06:53 PM   #18732
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
My father used to call the latter Spur-winged-bloody-plovers (SWBPs). Noisy buggers, though they seem to have declined a little around here in recent years. I just don't hear them as often as I used to. Magpies have declined even more. They were common as muck around Pukerua Bay when I was growing up, but I probably only see them once or twice a year now. I reckon their disappearance has coincided with the increase in Tui. While they don't compete for food, they are both very aggressive species.

I have an interesting tale about SWBPs. The first time I ever saw any was in the Wairau Valley on our way down to Murchison for Christmas Hols when I was a kid. We'd not seen them before on those trips. Some years later they started appearing around home in the Wellington area. Then we'd encounter them further north in later years still. Consulting my field guide it says they colonised in the 1930s and then started rapid spread from the 1960s, which would fit with my early-to-mid-70s memory of them in the Wairau. Seems now if you want to get away from them you have to go to Fiordland.

Now imagine all of the fun of traveling to Singapore and checking out all the exotic bird species at Jurong Bird Park (highly recommended by the way!) and in the Birds of Asia exhibit, coming across this "Masked Lapwing".
Ha! Too funny. In Northland, we didn't see them (contrast with Rosellas, we saw them all of the time) until the 90's as a vagrant species. I didn't know they had started further south. SWBPs are indeed very aggressive.
04-30-2022, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #18733
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What an opportune post!! I've just been out with my K-3 and SMC Pentax-A * 300mm f4 lens this afternoon. Took my copy of this 1.7x AF adapter with me and it worked great.

Just get this manual focus lens somewhere near the focus point and the AF adapter does all the rest. I also got mine for a good price with some other gear on TradeMe many years ago.

Regards

Chris
04-30-2022, 09:13 PM   #18734
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
What an opportune post!! I've just been out with my K-3 and SMC Pentax-A * 300mm f4 lens this afternoon. Took my copy of this 1.7x AF adapter with me and it worked great.

Just get this manual focus lens somewhere near the focus point and the AF adapter does all the rest. I also got mine for a good price with some other gear on TradeMe many years ago.

Regards

Chris
I would love to use it with some of my m42 but that seems to be an issue. Someone mentioned grounding or shorting a couple of pins to make it work. Any ideas?
04-30-2022, 09:19 PM   #18735
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A gamble for someone. Boils down to his interpretation of "Haze"
Trade Me