Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2022, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #18766
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Maybe GUB will let us borrow it!
I have to say Mrs NZ_Ross was particularly happy about GUB's bid

All joking aside, I am in the process of following Christophers excellent suggestion, and saving for a DA*11-18. Given the price of the lens it will be much later in the year before it is purchased. Bidding on TM now would not be helping the 'saving for a new lens' process.

05-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #18767
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice. I keep looking for a 100mm macro. (Which will probably be the one thing I will get more enjoyment from than anything else photography related.)

Of course, it's all relative. But, best I not test the waters too often as to what "toys" expenditure by me Mrs Jerling will stomach. The espresso machine was a particularly high hurdle so I need to lie low for a while, so to speak. LOL
05-05-2022, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #18768
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was a nice morning for a bit of a play around!
KS-1 or K-1 , TC or no TC -- Choice for the day. - PentaxForums.com
05-05-2022, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #18769
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I am in the process of following Christophers excellent suggestion, and saving for a DA*11-18.
I'm not sure if your wife will think it's such an excellent suggestion.

I had a look on Ebay, and there are quite a few DA 12-24 f/4 available at considerably less than the DA* 11-18, with the down side they're not weather sealed, and suffer from CA and flare, but are decently sharp according to reviews here.

The DA* 11-18 looks like one of the nicest lenses available if you can use ultra wide, and would pair up nicely with the K-3 III. You've got some amazing landscapes not too much of a drive inland from Timaru that could use an ultra wide if you get up close and personal with them.

Only trap I learnt with the Sigma 10-20, is that you may need a tripod. Not for stability, but to avoid getting your own shadow in the image!

---------- Post added 05-06-22 at 11:25 AM ----------

Nice. I keep looking for a 100mm macro. (Which will probably be the one thing I will get more enjoyment from than anything else photography related.)

Of course, it's all relative. But, best I not test the waters too often as to what "toys" expenditure by me Mrs Jerling will stomach. The espresso machine was a particularly high hurdle so I need to lie low for a while, so to speak. LOL
I love my 100mm macro. With auto extension tubes it's even more fun. I have looked around and it's possible to get optical microscopes with DSLR adaptors, and that would be even more interesting. Pond water can get very interesting under sufficient magnification.

Speaking of toys. Someone just rang me asking for support for Lightroom because the jpgs from their new Fujifilm medium format were coming out to small. I must remember to send them their invoice.

05-06-2022, 01:16 AM   #18770
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I'm not sure if your wife will think it's such an excellent suggestion.
She is usually pretty good about it . She encourages my photography to make sure I stop working occasionally, relax and enjoy life - so it is all about work/life balance.

I think I will save up a bit and then look at the DA*11-18. Given I have the K-3 III now, and I am likely to keep it about 10 years, I am sure I will get a lot of use out of an ultra wide zoom over that period, with for landscapes and for astro.
05-06-2022, 02:21 PM   #18771
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
It was a nice morning for a bit of a play around!
KS-1 or K-1 , TC or no TC -- Choice for the day. - PentaxForums.com
I've encountered Whiteheads in Zealandia several times. Cute little things, but very dynamic in voice and action! I will be keen to see what you achieve.
05-06-2022, 07:15 PM - 4 Likes   #18772
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For reasons which I cannot yet reveal, I have had occasion to revisit some of my bird photos recently, and every time I see this shot it makes me smile. I had previously published it per my usual processes, but I decided to see what I could do with a little more creative bent and this was the result, which I am really rather pleased with. I decided it deserved my signature watermark and today invented a new label for such deserving photos — Signature Edit.

The original RAW was run through DxO PhotoLab 5 for de-mosaicing, de-noising, and optical corrections, output as a linear DNG, then processed for light, colour, and detail using Skylum Software's Aurora HDR. This was then saved as a 16-bit TIFF and finally the watermark added and output to my standard size JPEG in PhotoLab.

05-06-2022, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #18773
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I decided it deserved my signature watermark and today invented a new label for such deserving photos — Signature Edit.
Nice, I like that label
05-06-2022, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #18774
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
every time I see this shot it makes me smile
That's definitely a very nice image.
05-06-2022, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #18775
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and every time I see this shot it makes me smile.
Robins tend to do that!
05-06-2022, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #18776
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For reasons which I cannot yet reveal, I have had occasion to revisit some of my bird photos recently, and every time I see this shot it makes me smile. I had previously published it per my usual processes, but I decided to see what I could do with a little more creative bent and this was the result, which I am really rather pleased with. I decided it deserved my signature watermark and today invented a new label for such deserving photos — Signature Edit.

The original RAW was run through DxO PhotoLab 5 for de-mosaicing, de-noising, and optical corrections, output as a linear DNG, then processed for light, colour, and detail using Skylum Software's Aurora HDR. This was then saved as a 16-bit TIFF and finally the watermark added and output to my standard size JPEG in PhotoLab.

Beautiful shot Allister!
05-08-2022, 01:33 PM   #18777
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Mark have you spotted the D FA 100 in Australia for sale here on PF ?
05-08-2022, 04:52 PM   #18778
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had not, no. See it now though. Beautiful little lens. Tempting.
05-08-2022, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #18779
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had not, no. See it now though. Beautiful little lens. Tempting.
I wouldn't choose it for the K-1 because of the lack of an aperture ring.
The lenses with a ring can be flicked off A and fstop chosen on ring. This means Liveview will auto brighten in dark situations.
Now on PF I seem to be the only person on noting this point of difference between "A" and the ring.
And some other models of my cameras don't act the same (K01 and KS1)
Given the lack of feedback when I comment about it I still don't know if it is a feature on some models or just some setting I have clicked on the K-1.
Have you noticed this difference in your K-1 Mark?
05-08-2022, 08:37 PM   #18780
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I wouldn't choose it for the K-1 because of the lack of an aperture ring.
The lenses with a ring can be flicked off A and fstop chosen on ring. This means Liveview will auto brighten in dark situations.
Now on PF I seem to be the only person on noting this point of difference between "A" and the ring.
And some other models of my cameras don't act the same (K01 and KS1)
Given the lack of feedback when I comment about it I still don't know if it is a feature on some models or just some setting I have clicked on the K-1.
Have you noticed this difference in your K-1 Mark?
Too be honest, I've not, no, because my only lens without an aperture ring is with my daughter, being used on my old K5. And I have several lenses without an 'A' position, and as far as I remember the green button will check the aperture, but truth be told, I can't remember! Will need to check.