Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2022, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #18811
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It applies equally to boats and to airplanes.
I think plane knots are more expensive than boat knots, but sometimes they can be cheaper, depending on which way the wind is blowing.

05-11-2022, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #18812
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, perhaps not equally, unless you're a Russian oligarch
I am pretty sure Christopher isn't a Russian oligarch . Mind you, he does live near to our Five Eyes spy site, so that might be considered a bit dodgy...

They seem to be losing all of their assets out of Russia at a rate of knots (see what I just did), so my guess at the moment is their boats and planes aren't costing them much other that the realisation that several hundred million dollars of capital asset has just been lost.
05-11-2022, 04:23 PM   #18813
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I think plane knots are more expensive than boat knots, but sometimes they can be cheaper, depending on which way the wind is blowing.
Depends on the boat. LOL

These knots are cheap:

These knots are not:

But I suspect you're right. Even cheap airplanes are expensive to run.
05-11-2022, 04:26 PM   #18814
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I am pretty sure Christopher isn't a Russian oligarch . Mind you, he does live near to our Five Eyes spy site, so that might be considered a bit dodgy...
LOL

05-11-2022, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #18815
Pentaxian

Even cheap airplanes are expensive to run.
Vintage ones still use leaded petrol which is horrendously expensive, and not very healthy. Something to do with issues over freezing point at altitude or something I think I read.
I've actually wondered about the health effects of standing behind a warbird on the ground with the motor running, as they burn through fuel at a fair rate those big V12s and they must put out a bit of inhalable lead.
I think they measure speed as airspeed rather than speed relative to the ground, as that's what matters when it comes to the amount of lift generated, which means flying into a head wind can indicate a healthy airspeed, but actually not be going anywhere very fast.
05-11-2022, 05:41 PM   #18816
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did not realise they run on leaded fuel. Mind you, I've pumped more leaded gas in my life than anything else and so far I can still remember most things.
05-11-2022, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #18817
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

so far I can still remember most things.
And how do you know that ? You may have forgotten!

05-11-2022, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #18818
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
And how do you know that ? You may have forgotten!
Ssshhh GUB, we all agreed not to tell him
05-11-2022, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #18819
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I still remember to remove my pants before taking a dump, and everything else is a bonus really! LOL
05-11-2022, 07:30 PM - 2 Likes   #18820
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What I notice as dotage advances is my memory of things I have done is reliant on my photographic archives. If I didn't take a photo I am likely to forget.
I suspect it is something to do with the recall part of my memory - and the occasional sighting of a photo reinforces the placing of that memory into long term.
Just like repeating a person's name after being introduced is a good way to remember the name.
05-11-2022, 08:06 PM   #18821
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry but this is off-topic.
There is a Partial lunar eclipse on May 16,2022. The moon will rise in eclipse at roughly 5.20pm and will be at maximum around 5.30pm. It will be over by 6.50pm. Actual times will vary depending on one's longitude. You can always change the location on the webpage to your own for a more accurate time.

Eclipses visible in Auckland, New Zealand ? May 16, 2022 Lunar Eclipse

There is a total eclipse late in 2022.

Total Lunar Eclipse on November 7?8, 2022 ? Where and When to See

I have been spending most of my spare cash on telescope stuff as of late. Mrs Pix has given me the all clear. Last thing I bought for the K-70 was a Sigma 17-70 zoom from Gub. Telescopes rule at the moment.
05-11-2022, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #18822
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I still remember to remove my pants before taking a dump, and everything else is a bonus really! LOL
I will file that one under the category 'helpful, but too much information' Mark
05-12-2022, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #18823
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Sorry but this is off-topic.
There is a Partial lunar eclipse on May 16,2022. The moon will rise in eclipse at roughly 5.20pm and will be at maximum around 5.30pm. It will be over by 6.50pm. Actual times will vary depending on one's longitude. You can always change the location on the webpage to your own for a more accurate time.

Eclipses visible in Auckland, New Zealand ? May 16, 2022 Lunar Eclipse

There is a total eclipse late in 2022.

Total Lunar Eclipse on November 7?8, 2022 ? Where and When to See

I have been spending most of my spare cash on telescope stuff as of late. Mrs Pix has given me the all clear. Last thing I bought for the K-70 was a Sigma 17-70 zoom from Gub. Telescopes rule at the moment.
Cheers for that. Although half way around the world, I won't see the full eclipse here, and it will be touch and go as the sun comes up (close to 6AM), I think I can make it for Nov 8!
For next week, I have never seen a lunar eclipse in the PM! Apparently total here.
05-14-2022, 06:19 PM   #18824
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just bumped into this video
Looks like it hasn't been on line for long (4th May)
October 59 puts me at 3 years old but I remember being at Ohakea that day the the Vulcan was parked up.
05-14-2022, 07:42 PM   #18825
Pentaxian

Great watch thanks Gub, I remember going past Ohakea when the tilted bird was there
(edit: not as a 3yo They did have a wrecked plane there at some early stage under a tarpaulin on the far side}
That Vampire pullout was unbelievable