Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2022, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #18856
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Looking through the reviews, it seems like not all that many people use flashes, at least based on the number of reviews.
My Sigma P-TTL ring flash has had a fair amount of use since I acquired it, and I suspect that will still get the most use because of my interest in macro, but for mugshots the Pentax will be more useful, so I'm hoping it will pay for itself.
Talk to CA, he knows his way around using Pentax cameras with flash systems

06-07-2022, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #18857
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First quick play with the flash. TM listing didn't mention it also came with a diffuser which is a fantastic addition as it makes it easier to avoid those nasty harsh shadows that flashes tend to cast.
For a subject like this who doesn't like to sit still, auto flash is really a big help. Only thing is with all that white fur, I found I needed to use a bit of negative exposure compensation on the flash.
Oh, and in case you're wondering what she's eating... I think she's channelling her inner goat. It's toilet paper. At least I know she's getting enough fibre in her diet.

06-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #18858
Pentaxian

Check out this guy's stuff - ? Flash Photography Techniques - Tangents
He has good advice re bounce flash etc.
06-07-2022, 08:19 PM   #18859
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Check out this guy's stuff - ? Flash Photography Techniques - Tangents
He has good advice re bounce flash etc.
Had a quick look. Some good ideas there. Bounce flash does tend to produce nicer looking results than straight at subjects.

06-21-2022, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #18860
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've managed to score a Pentax AF540FGZ II at an affordable price, which I'm pretty happy about as this seems to be the best Pentax branded flash, but normally costs an arm and a leg.
That's a nice flash. It's meant to be used on-camera, so you'll have to work a bit to get good results, but as on-cameras flashes go, it's a very good one.

Having said that, although I have the ability to use some of my lights in P-TTL mode, I never do. I always have the camera in manual mode and control the flash power manually. Unless the scene is changing dynamically faster than one can respond with flash power adjustments, I find that manual flash control provides the best predictability and consistency.

Looking through the reviews, it seems like not all that many people use flashes, at least based on the number of reviews.
I use off-camera flash all the time.
Sorry, I would have responded earlier, but have been away from PF for a long time.

TM listing didn't mention it also came with a diffuser which is a fantastic addition as it makes it easier to avoid those nasty harsh shadows that flashes tend to cast.
A diffuser is useful, provides much better results than direct flash, but only works indoors and gives you little control. See below for an even better add-on.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Check out this guy's stuff
Good one, Arpe. That's the site I would have recommended as well (along with "The Strobist").

Neil has popularized the "BFT" (black foamie thing), which is a super cheap DIY but very effective add-on for an on-camera flash. Look at the results he gets with it and watch he video tutorial, if you haven't done so yet.

The BFT is just a small flag and effectively turns an on-camera flash into an off-camera flash with a huge diffuser. Like the diffuser that came with your flash, it only works when you have surfaces to bounce off nearby, but then it can do wonders for the quality of light and gives you way more control than the diffuser that goes on the flash.

Bounce flash does tend to produce nicer looking results than straight at subjects.
Indeed, and the BFT is just about eliminating any direct light that may still spill from the on-camera flash on to the subjects.

The next step will be taking the flash off-camera (triggering it with a radio trigger) and after that you can look into getting light modifiers that make you independent from surfaces to bounce from. It's a whole new gear acquisition journey from here on out.
06-22-2022, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #18861
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The next step will be taking the flash off-camera (triggering it with a radio trigger) and after that you can look into getting light modifiers that make you independent from surfaces to bounce from. It's a whole new gear acquisition journey from here on out.
For total off camera, I have a pair of cheap Yongnuo flashes and a Yongnuo radio trigger that also acts as a remote control for them. Completely manual, but with flashes off camera on light stands, there's no need for TTL.

One of the things I bought the Pentax flash for was moving subjects such as kids or puppies, or at events, where subject flash distance is likely to be changing quickly. The vendor also bundled a P-TTL hotshoe and about 3m extension cable so I could use the flash off-camera in manual or P-TTL mode.

The other thing I'm interested in playing with is HSS so that I can use flash fill light outside when there's a fair amount of background light. Manual flashes, I'm limited to 1/180 sync speed, which isn't always enough with a wide aperture when there's significant background light.
06-22-2022, 03:14 AM - 3 Likes   #18862
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had another go at the boat houses in Titahi Bay. More suitable lens this time.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
06-22-2022, 03:31 AM   #18863
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you use the 50 much Mark?
I have ended up with a FA 1.4 and F 1.7s
But because my focusing procedure revolves around manual focus lenses I prefer to use the A 50 1.7.
06-22-2022, 03:41 AM   #18864
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a fine little lens Gub, and I'm using it more and more. It's pretty sharp too.
06-22-2022, 03:44 AM - 5 Likes   #18865
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a shot taken with one of Pentax' first m42 lens - the 1957 Takumar 58mm f2.4 taken wide open.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-22-2022, 03:45 AM   #18866
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the 1.7s are better than the FA 1.4 - it seems a bit softish wide open
06-22-2022, 03:56 AM   #18867
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Here is a shot taken with one of Pentax' first m42 lens - the 1957 Takumar 58mm f2.4 taken wide open.
That has a very natural look to it. Nice.
06-22-2022, 04:14 AM   #18868
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That has a very natural look to it. Nice.
Thanks Mark.
I was tempted to post it on the current aggro bokeh thread as I feel it is a good example of how to utilise (in this case) foreground blur to emphasise the focal area which otherwise is not well defined. But sooner or later that thread is going to spin out!.
It is surprising how many landscape takers dislike any foreground softness. And in club judging it is also often faulted.
But in my opinion it has an important role in presenting the image.
06-22-2022, 04:39 AM   #18869
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Thanks Mark.
I was tempted to post it on the current aggro bokeh thread as I feel it is a good example of how to utilise (in this case) foreground blur to emphasise the focal area which otherwise is not well defined. But sooner or later that thread is going to spin out!.
It is surprising how many landscape takers dislike any foreground softness. And in club judging it is also often faulted.
But in my opinion it has an important role in presenting the image.
I think it works well, in this instance. The bokeh discussion is certainly "interesting".
06-22-2022, 04:43 AM   #18870
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I think it works well, in this instance. The bokeh discussion is certainly "interesting".
Yeah - hard to know who is just winding up! The one you "liked" is a bit hard to fathom.