Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2022, 02:26 PM   #19006
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found this, which I assume they would use here.

Attached Images

08-04-2022, 04:12 PM   #19007
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
The other option here is someone forgot to set the callsign into the aircraft transponder so FR24 have nothing to go on. FR24 display three pieces of information when they have them. Registration (ZK-NET), Callsign (NZ825L), and flight number (NZ8825).
I learn something new every day
08-04-2022, 04:35 PM - 2 Likes   #19008
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I passed on bidding on the K-1 on TM this week. Hard to justify spending that sort of money when the K-3 III is so good.

Oh no, what has happened to your 77? I also have one and again, I am very happy with results - another very nice lens
Not a bad price considering it was hardly run in
The 77 has failed AF with attendant crunching noise, apparently not unknown
Paid for itself with this one, wide open for some reason

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2022 at 11:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
The new farmhand Daihatsu would be better nicknamed the slug.
Nice !
Your model looks a little downcast...wanted a Landcruiser ?
08-04-2022, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #19009
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I learn something new every day
You can buy a USB stick that has a Software Defined Radio (SDR) in it and, with a suitable antenna and location, you can gather this data from local flights yourself. This is, in fact, where the majority of FR24's data comes from.

It is a little more work to do for yourself because the aircraft identity is broadcast as a globally unique hexadecimal code, from which the registration must derived by lookup tables. FR24 and their ilk obviously have extensive tables (and usually a form somewhere for people to submit updates). But... for those times you see "BLOCKED" on FR24, you can see the code and, with a little searching, can usually find the aircraft identity.

There's a little more about callsigns here.

08-04-2022, 06:42 PM   #19010
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Not a bad price considering it was hardly run in
The 77 has failed AF with attendant crunching noise, apparently not unknown
Paid for itself with this one, wide open for some reason
I thought the price was fair, just more than I wanted to spend at the moment.

Very nice image
08-05-2022, 03:39 AM   #19011
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
A quick grab shot this arvo with the Pentax 400 - 600 mirror on the K-1. Handheld so not too bad a result considering.
So is that one of our airforce ones?
This is a doozy of a lens. I've got one too. At 600mm its just so small!!!!

Regards

Chris

---------- Post added 08-05-2022 at 10:42 PM ----------

sorry just being cheeky
In other news my 77 is off to Melbourne after it pooed itself
Transit,

Where in Melbourne are you sending your 77mm to be fixed. I bumped mine and now it will not focus. I think a gear is now out of alignment. Is there any place in NZ you might send it of is Melbourne your preferred repairer?

Regards

Chris
08-05-2022, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #19012
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
This is a doozy of a lens. I've got one too. At 600mm its just so small!!!!
Yeah that is why i don't think twice about hand holding it. But that comes at a cost even at 1/1500.These shots yesterday were handheld.
But there is more than just sharpness to images.
Funny thing is when I got mine (off TM a few years ago) I checked out beeflay and there were only a few on and they were over $1000.
But now there is a good range and I think you could land one for NZ$400.
Its very unmirror colour and often flamboyant (rather than just donuts) bokeh puts it in my top 10 creative lenses.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-05-2022, 03:02 PM   #19013
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nasty looking auto 110....good for parts ?
Trade Me
08-05-2022, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #19014
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Transit,

Where in Melbourne are you sending your 77mm to be fixed. I bumped mine and now it will not focus. I think a gear is now out of alignment. Is there any place in NZ you might send it of is Melbourne your preferred repairer?

Regards

Chris
Blooming heck hope I didn't precipitate it !
CR Kennedy https://crkphotoimaging.com.au/ts1658881903/attachments/PageLayout/46/CRK%20Repair%20Form.pdf
I talked to the Auckland branch and they were just going to send it on anyway so thought I'd cut out the middle human
Had great experience with them in the past

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2022 at 12:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Nasty looking auto 110....good for parts ?
Trade Me
good for importing fungus, they come up quite often. The 50 is a good lens with the Gub mod
It's my go to for public meeting stealth mode

Last edited by Transit; 08-05-2022 at 05:33 PM.
08-06-2022, 05:30 PM   #19015
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I passed on bidding on the K-1 on TM this week.
It certainly captured my attention, but I didn't bid.

I've posted before about how I'd love a DA* 11-18, but they are pricey and heavy lenses, even used. Someone on PF in Australia had a DA 12-24 going at a reasonable price, and postage from Australia isn't too bad. He's also owned a Sigma 10-20 which I have, and confirmed what seems to be a general consensus that the DA 12-24 is a better lens. It's still not weather sealed, but gains quick shift, is faster, a bit lighter, sharper, and given I acquired a cheap D-FA 28-105 some time ago that tends to live on my camera, it leaves me with only a 4mm gap in focal length, which I'd otherwise need to fill in with a 16-50 or 16-85 if I wanted all Pentax glass.
Once I factored in the cost of acquiring two lenses if I really wanted the 11-18, I decided a well priced 12-24 would be worthwhile. The 12-24 is a lot lighter than the 11-18, although slower, and the D-FA 28-105 is lighter than the DA 16-85, but is a bit of an odd zoom range for crop sensor as it's intended as a FF lens, but it does have good IQ. With the 12-24 and 28-105 I end up with a very affordable, and lightweight two lens kit covering a wide range of focal lengths with a small gap, that hopefully won't be an issue too often, and hopefully I can compensate for by 'zooming with my legs'.
The guy selling the 12-24 was disposing of it because he'd upgraded to a K-1, so I figured buying a K-1 just after buying a lens that won't work well with it seemed a little bit of a waste.
The 12-24 is one of the best reviewed non * DA zooms, so hopefully I'll get plenty of enjoyment out of it.
If I want to fill in the missing focal lengths, I guess I'll look out for a 20-40 Limited, as they're light, sharp, and WR, and just one of them and the 28-105 would make a good two lens kit for when I don't need ultra-wide.
08-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #19016
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I guess I'll look out for a 20-40 Limited, as they're light, sharp, and WR,
I am extremely happy with my copy, but make sure it is sharp if you buy one. Some early copies had issues. WR on the lens is very good - I took some images on the boat trip up to the Niagara Falls that I am very happy with, even though the camera and lens got soaked at the time.
08-06-2022, 07:40 PM - 2 Likes   #19017
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took some images on the boat trip up to the Niagara Falls that I am very happy with, even though the camera and lens got soaked at the time.
WR/AW is the bees knees. I love the moment when you realise the camera is going to get wet and then ... "meh, doesn't matter."

But... while the 18-135's hood is reasonably snug around the barrel, it annoys me no end that the 55-300's hood leaves a clear gap that I am sure is just inviting water to find its way through onto the front element!

And speaking of the 18-135, I recently mentioned I didn't use it much because I had never been happy with the sharpness, and also wondered whether PhotoLab would address that. Yesterday I went for a walk on the windswept beach at Pukerua Bay and decided to take it to see what it could produce. As with the 55-300, I elected to leave it on f/8 for the duration, as I was not wanting to be fussing with it, just point and shoot for the most part, and I have to say the results are rather pleasing. The image below is cropped to 16:9 but is using about 96% of the original frame width and I'm not detecting any issues at the edges.

08-06-2022, 07:49 PM   #19018
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
WR/AW is the bees knees. I love the moment when you realise the camera is going to get wet and then ... "meh, doesn't matter."

But... while the 18-135's hood is reasonably snug around the barrel, it annoys me no end that the 55-300's hood leaves a clear gap that I am sure is just inviting water to find its way through onto the front element!

And speaking of the 18-135, I recently mentioned I didn't use it much because I had never been happy with the sharpness, and also wondered whether PhotoLab would address that. Yesterday I went for a walk on the windswept beach at Pukerua Bay and decided to take it to see what it could produce. As with the 55-300, I elected to leave it on f/8 for the duration, as I was not wanting to be fussing with it, just point and shoot for the most part, and I have to say the results are rather pleasing. The image below is cropped to 16:9 but is using about 96% of the original frame width and I'm not detecting any issues at the edges.

The Wellington coastlines have their own colours! Nice one.
08-06-2022, 07:51 PM   #19019
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Blooming heck hope I didn't precipitate it !
CR Kennedy https://crkphotoimaging.com.au/ts1658881903/attachments/PageLayout/46/CRK%20Repair%20Form.pdf
I talked to the Auckland branch and they were just going to send it on anyway so thought I'd cut out the middle human
Had great experience with them in the past

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2022 at 12:28 PM ----------

good for importing fungus, they come up quite often. The 50 is a good lens with the Gub mod
It's my go to for public meeting stealth mode

That was the Q b&W rendering wasn't it? Really suits the image - look fresh out of the 1980s Chron.
08-06-2022, 08:08 PM - 2 Likes   #19020
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That time of year again
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo