Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2022, 04:28 PM   #19051
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I'm awaiting an arrival coming in the opposite direction, hopefully for a more positive experience. AU Post tracking shows it's already cleared customs and is ready for delivery.
If I'm really in luck, I might have a new toy for the weekend.
Did the new toy turn up?

And sorry - we passed through Blenheim rather quickly and only just made the ferry sailing.

08-10-2022, 04:54 PM   #19052
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Interesting idea about colour temperature. I was just thinking of going for the full white, which is fairly accurate on an iPad.
Probably simpler to just save as raw and do the adjustments later in one go rather than having a variation in input colours.
Having said that - your input colour may be worthwhile to have a cast in it if you have a standard cast across all your slides. ie experiment a bit at the beginning.
08-10-2022, 05:14 PM   #19053
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
the very finite number of slides involved
How many is that? I think I may be able to help with my Nikon D750 (FF), and then borrow/steal/buy that contraption off you. Or is it screw mount or something?
08-10-2022, 08:33 PM   #19054
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
How many is that? I think I may be able to help with my Nikon D750 (FF), and then borrow/steal/buy that contraption off you. Or is it screw mount or something?
It's a screw mount but has a couple of adapters with it, one (at least) of which adapts it to K mount. That one was on the device when I inherited it.

I have 500 of my Grandad's slides and although I have scanned my own (around 200 I think) slides previously, I managed to only do them as low resolution JPEGs so will probably do them again at some point. Particularly if I can get a reliable process with good results.

I have an Epson V600 which does a great job of document scanning but has an infuriating habit of cutting out when doing transparency scans. I've done a ton of research online about possible causes (bad connections, badly aligned holders) and cures (use better connections, figure out the magic holder location) and in the end I've realised that it will just cut out when it wants to and usually the correction is just to turn it off and on again and carry on. Though I seem to have higher success if something changes between attempts, like removing one already successfully scanned slide. It's certainly easy when it's working, as I can load up 4 slides and let it roll.

Doing my rather more numerous negatives is a whole different game. There, if the scanner would behave, I can scan up to 12 in one go. Chance would be a fine thing!

08-11-2022, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #19055
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Did the new toy turn up?
Sure did. It was the DA 12-24/4. I'm already impressed. Although not as wide as the Sigma 10-20, it seems to be superior in all other respects.
Apparently they're discontinued now, but if Pentax did a re-release with new coatings and WR, I think it would be a winner.
The DA* 11-18/2.8 reviews as even better, but it's a very pricey and heavy lens, and the 12-24 is a lot lighter and cheaper, but still has really good edge to edge sharpness, unlike the Sigma.
I wondered whether it might be a stopgap, and I'd still be lusting after the 11-18, but my initial impressions are probably not, at least not for a long while, as I'm very happy with the 12-24.
08-11-2022, 12:36 AM   #19056
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a longing for a nice 100mm macro. I have a Rokinon fisheye that comes in handy from time to time, even though it's only meant for aps-c and vignettes quite badly on the K-1ii.
A wide angle zoom does seem like a good idea.
08-11-2022, 01:17 AM   #19057
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

really good edge to edge sharpness, unlike the Sigma.
See my recent post about the 18-135 that I took for a spin the other day after largely leaving it alone for years because of a lack of edge to edge sharpness. I might do a controlled test, but really, I was very happy with the results and even happier to have the substantial flexibility of a zoom range I've been missing. Modern software can do wonders.

08-11-2022, 01:32 AM - 2 Likes   #19058
Pentaxian

A wide angle zoom does seem like a good idea.
I think for the K-1 the D-FA 15-30 is the ultra wide zoom with the best capabilities. They guy selling the 12-24 mostly uses a K-1, and said the limitations of the 12-24 on full frame was one of the reasons he was selling it. (Apart from the fact he likes to take lots of photos of waterfalls, and it's not WR).

My experience is a wide lens is particularly useful in narrow, steep sided valleys, for real estate where those tiny in-fill homes are made to look like country estates, and for urban architecture where there are a lot of tall buildings and confined spaces.

Here's an image I captured yesterday at 12mm.

It's under 10 minutes walk from home, and I was able to jump across the stream, and in some places just about get a foot on both banks. About 3/4 of the year there's not even any water in it.
It was late in the day when I took it, so light was a bit flat, but as a B&W conversion, I rather like it.
I had my tripod in the middle of the stream and I think I was balanced on a rock. I simply couldn't have taken this without an ultra wide lens.
08-11-2022, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #19059
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shot Christopher.

The Rokinon 8mm has been rather useful for impossibly tiny spaces.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
08-11-2022, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #19060
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice view from the office meeting room this morning
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
08-11-2022, 03:46 PM   #19061
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bet it's nice and cold too! Nice one Ross. You should be out skiing.
08-11-2022, 05:55 PM   #19062
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Nice view from the office meeting room this morning
Mum's a bit further north up near Oxford, and said she had snow on the ground last week or earlier this week, can't remember the day. It certainly looks chilly down south.
08-11-2022, 06:49 PM   #19063
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mum's a bit further north up near Oxford, and said she had snow on the ground last week or earlier this week, can't remember the day. It certainly looks chilly down south.
There was snow on the ground in many places on Monday. We saw some near Dunedin, Oamaru and then lots of snow between Amberley and Kaikoura.
08-11-2022, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #19064
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You should be out skiing.
I am working Mark, working...
08-11-2022, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #19065
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I am working Mark, working...
Surely there must be some ski field that requires an engineering review of its infrastructure under operating conditions?