Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2022, 12:17 AM   #19261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some healthy discounts off DxO products for the next 7 days or so.

Welcome to the DxO shop

11-22-2022, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #19262
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote

I could go to the darkside and use my wife's Nikon kit.
Now you're talking!
11-22-2022, 04:51 PM   #19263
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Some healthy discounts off DxO products for the next 7 days or so.
Tempting, but it's hard to choose, as there seems to be quite a bit of overlap. I have the old free Google version of Nik Collection, which doesn't have the latest U Point features, but Clear View is in Photolab, Nik Analog Efex looks similar to FilmPack for Photolab, Nik Perspective Efex looks equivalent to ViewPoint for PhotoLab, and Nik Viveza and Nik Dfine are pretty much covered by PhotoLab lighting and colour adjustments and noise reduction respectively.
Nik now does allow non-destructive editing, but it does so by creating tiff files, which will likely be huge, whereas PhotoLab works a similar way to Lightroom keeping a database of adjustments, so it's a lot more disk space friendly.
11-22-2022, 09:12 PM   #19264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Nik Perspective Efex looks equivalent to ViewPoint for PhotoLab
It is worth noting that Force parallel, Rectangle, and 8-point perspective tools are now available in PhotoLab 6 Elite, where previously they required ViewPoint installed.

11-23-2022, 01:10 AM   #19265
Pentaxian

It is worth noting that Force parallel, Rectangle, and 8-point perspective tools are now available in PhotoLab 6 Elite, where previously they required ViewPoint installed.
That's just about worth the upgrade alone. That's one area where I think DxO has been a bit weak compared to Lightroom, requiring an additional component for perspective correction, when Lightroom had it included as standard.

I downloaded FilmPack to have a play with the free demo, and it does seem to be quite a bit like Analog Efex without the file bloat from saving tiffs.

Although it's supposed to replicate historical films, the cyanotype at least isn't very authentic, as I've made actual cyanotypes with the chemicals and they don't look anything like what comes out on screen, but it's still possible to get some pleasing results, regardless of how authentic they are.
11-23-2022, 06:37 PM   #19266
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma xq 500mm f4 mirror is right up there in the most impracticable lens to use list.
This is as close to a subject as it gets without a mass of extension tubes.
Looks like the bigger the aperture the bigger the donuts!
But colour and iq not too bad at all.
The luxury of f4 means this is 1/2000 and about iso 400 on a cloudy/sunny day..
Taken on a monopod. 4kg all up to handle!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-24-2022, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #19267
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
The Sigma xq 500mm f4 mirror is right up there in the most impracticable lens to use list
Some days all my lense are that.

QuoteQuote:
4kg all up to handle!
Stable though...given the horrendous winds currently!

11-24-2022, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #19268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
4kg all up to handle!
I take it that one won't be going tramping. At least if anyone complains about your purchasing habits, you can say you are economising by combining photography and weight training in one purchase.
11-24-2022, 01:54 AM   #19269
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I take it that one won't be going tramping. At least if anyone complains about your purchasing habits, you can say you are economising by combining photography and weight training in one purchase.
I got a Pentacon 500mm 5.6 refracting a while back and it weighed 3.5kg. So not a big saving by gaining a stop with a reflex 500mm f4 at 3.3 kg.
EDIT Having said that the Pentacon was Medium format capable

Last edited by GUB; 11-24-2022 at 02:01 AM.
11-24-2022, 02:55 AM   #19270
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a nice photo. Makes me think I should take my SMC Pentax Reflex 400-600mm zoom lens out for a spin and try some macro photos with it.

Regards

Chris
11-24-2022, 03:39 AM   #19271
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
That's a nice photo. Makes me think I should take my SMC Pentax Reflex 400-600mm zoom lens out for a spin and try some macro photos with it.

Regards

Chris
It focuses surprisingly close and you can often get lucky with the bokeh.
11-25-2022, 12:37 PM   #19272
Pentaxian

Here's a result from a walk in the QEII covenant area near home yesterday. I've found the Olympus TG-6 + K-70 with DA 55-300 WR to be a fantastic natural history combo. The TG-6 is 24-100 35mm equivalent, and has excellent macro, so if I took just the K-70 I'd need a 16-50 and the 55-300 to cover the same range, and the time to change lenses. Now I can switch between birds and bugs virtually instantly. Many times in the past I've missed opportunities swapping lenses for a bug or a bird, only to have it fly away, then miss the next image having to swap back. The TG-6 has GPS recording if I need to know where I took a photo. PhotoLab completes the kit, as for birds I leave the K-70 in Tav mode and let the ISO float so I can control aperture and have a decent shutter speed, and of course the TG-6 with its tiny sensor is noisy. PhotoLab does decent noise reduction on both. I've learnt to appreciate how good the ergonomics are on the K-70. The TG-6 fills a gap for me, but in many respects it's a pain to use compared to a DSLR, but it beats swapping lenses, and it's light.

11-25-2022, 01:50 PM   #19273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a result from a walk in the QEII covenant area near home yesterday.
I was going to say I've not seen a Korimako with "flax head" but realise I don't see that many Korimako. I think two or three times around home, then another half dozen in Zealandia.

Out of interest, what range do you let the ISO float through? I'd been limiting mine to 6400 for a long time, but decided maybe I could go a little higher. I should also switch to TAv and get the hang of it. I tend to keep the 55-300 PLM at f/8 for sharpness, but could stand to open it a little when needed, and also need to think more about shutter speed, as I am almost always in Av.
11-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #19274
Pentaxian

Out of interest, what range do you let the ISO float through? I'd been limiting mine to 6400 for a long time, but decided maybe I could go a little higher. I should also switch to TAv and get the hang of it
I've limited mine to 3200 but probably could go higher. I think the K-70 and KP have the same sensor, so if you find 6400 is OK, then I'd find it usable too.

With the DA 55-300 for birds, I typically set it to f/8 and then use the front control wheel to adjust the shutter speed depending on zoom or subject, eg if I want to take a landscape shot where lower shutter speed is OK.

Of course I could just use ISO invariance and increase the exposure in PhotoLab or Lightroom instead of using Tav mode, but I want to be able to see in the field whether I got the shot or not, and that's not necessarily easy with a really dark image.
I typically use some negative exposure compensation as well, which will reduce the risk of clipped highlights and give me a lower ISO in camera.
11-25-2022, 06:32 PM   #19275
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lately I have been leaving -1.0EV set as I noticed a lot of blown highlights, particularly with the bright skies we're getting lately.

I re-learned something about my camera today. Every time DST changes I always go in and adjust the time. But I've been doing it all wrong. Today I went out to Eastbourne and while walking on the shore I started taking photos before I remembered the O-GPS2 was in my camera bag back at the car. I went back to get it and then continued shooting.

When I got home I was confused for a while as to why the non-GPS photos were sorting after the GPS ones. I soon found the time was off on the GPS ones. That seemed odd because I distinctly remember checking the box to update the camera time from GPS. Then I realised the camera was one hour slow and this is what was on the GPS shots. Now I have re-learned that the twice-a-year task is not to shift the hour on the clock by one, but in fact to go into World Time and toggle the DST checkbox on/off for Home. It didn't really matter before, but it does now!