Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
going to Estes Park + Rocky Mountain National Park 9/10 - 14, hints + advice sought

wife has to use vacation time or lose it

so very hesitantly we are driving to Estes Park and the Rocky Mountain National Park

we will be doing our best to minimize our exposure to the virus

staying at the Discovery Lodge in Estes Park

looking for things to do in the area which may not be going to the RMNP as entry is being restricted into the park

any thoughts would be appreciate

[ as would best wishes for a safe experience ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-07-2020 at 10:38 AM.
08-07-2020, 10:47 AM - 2 Likes   #2
maw
Pentaxian

Hi Aslyfox

1° Follow sanitary regulations, Disinfectant, masks, safety distance.

2° Have fun and bring lots of nice shots from those places

Happy holidays, Mario
08-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe you are about half a mile up the hill from the town. The town is nice. There were hummingbirds around the bridges at evening over the stream. I bought my raincoat at the sporting goods store down past where you are staying if you need anything that is where to go. The Stanley hotel is cool where the Shining was written not filmed. There is a nice brewery (the bee?) The drive to is scenic up steep winding roads, not bad but require attention. I would rest before even if just to eat in or around Boulder. At the entrance to RMNP we saw a herd of elk, in town we saw deer, leaving we saw bear. Wildlife is possible at any moment. The climbs were harder than they say if you are not used to the thin air. I loved it, hope you do too. Thats all I got.
08-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the first question is transport

the 2015 Audi A 5 Coupe AW but low, low, ground clearance two seater

the 2016 GMC Acadia Denali AW more ground clearance and room but doesn't hug the road like the Audi

my heart says the Audi, my brain says the Acadia

" what say you ? "

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-07-2020 at 01:47 PM.
08-07-2020, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ToDo:

Trail Ridge Road at night (day, too) is a must day trip. Study the forum's Astro Photography tips and give it a try. The night sky is awesome. Wildflowers during the day are great, too... so take a macro lens.

Check out the YMCA camp west of town. It's a rustic old school resort in an incredible setting with tons of things to do.

Visit Bear Lake and hike up to Dream Lake. The views of Long's Peak and mountain landscapes are classic. Wide angle lenses are a must.
Can be quite cold at night and warm during the day. Check the weather forecasts.

All in all... a ton of fun and photog paradise.

Cheers... M
08-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

the 2016 GMC Acadia Denali AW more ground clearance and room but doesn't hug the road like the Audi

" what say you ? "

Whichever is better in snow, just in case Really, whatever gives you enough room and climbs hills the best.

I would also be prepared to pull over on I70 when the mountains come into view, because going from pancake flat to seeing the mountains rise from the prairie can be breathtaking.
08-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

For car, clearance wasn't an issue but avalanches had closed many parts, the worst was entering a steep driveway to the grocery store ( you know the type.)

I forgot about the Golden route because it was closed. An option. Haven't been since the 70s but mines and Buffalo Bill's(?) grave.

08-07-2020, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
. . . . climbs hills the best.

I would also be prepared to pull over on I70 when the mountains come into view, because going from pancake flat to seeing the mountains rise from the prairie can be breathtaking.
climb hills??

I live in Kansas [ at an elevation of roughly 950 feet above sea level ]:
QuoteQuote:
Holy hotcakes! Study finds Kansas flatter than pancake
NEWS
JUL 27, 2003 -..
Turns out Kansas really is flatter than a pancake — scientifically speaking.

Travelers enduring the trip across the western half of Kansas have long suspected the geography is flatter than that of a griddle cake.

Now there’s mathematical proof.

A team of scientists from Southwest Texas State University and Arizona State University recently published an article in which researchers analyzed the geography both of the state and that of a pancake purchased at International House of Pancakes.

Simply put, our results show that Kansas is considerably flatter than a pancake,” they wrote.

The results, published in the tongue-in-cheek Annals of Improbable Research, have created a flapjack flap among geologists and others in Kansas.. . .
https://www2.ljworld.com/news/2003/jul/27/holy_hotcakes_study/

I don't know

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-07-2020 at 03:11 PM.
08-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Emerald Lake - Hike to Emerald Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park
Read this difficulty and compare this to my experience. We took 6 hours and some hills walking felt like a sprint. A hot tub as long as tolerable after still left me aching. An almost 50 year old male use to walking and biking everywhere in flat sea level new orleans was barely up to the task. Emerald Lake - Hike to Emerald Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park
08-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

" what say you ? "

Maybe I would choose the Acadia Denali, it seems to me more suitable for that kind of routes,
the Audi is more suitable for cities and urban routes.....I'd also superstition two horses.
08-07-2020, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The historic Stanley Hotel in Estes Park is worth checking out. Otherwise it is a matter of relaxing versus trying to pack activities into every day. The lake and the area are enough to fill some time at a leisurely pace.
Get the Audi, it is a long drive between Kansas and The Rockies, but you can lay it out on the interstate and fly, and enjoy some curves in the mountains. I would not worry about needing ground clearance or 4WD unless you were going back country camoing, otherwise everything is paved.
Check out Trip Advisor, they usually have the best recommendations.
08-08-2020, 04:12 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
for Estes Park Co

QuoteQuote:
2020 Sunrise/Sunset Daylength Astronomical Twilight Nautical Twilight Civil Twilight Solar Noon
Sep Sunrise Sunset Length Diff. Start End Start End Start End Time Mil. mi

10 6:38 am ↑ 7:18 pm ↑ 12:39:34 −2:36 5:04 am 8:51 pm 5:38 am 8:17 pm 6:11 am 7:45 pm 12:58 pm 93.586
11 6:39 am ↑ 7:16 pm ↑ 12:36:57 −2:37 5:06 am 8:49 pm 5:39 am 8:16 pm 6:12 am 7:43 pm 12:58 pm 93.562
12 6:40 am ↑ 7:14 pm ↑ 12:34:20 −2:37 5:07 am 8:47 pm 5:40 am 8:14 pm 6:13 am 7:42 pm 12:57 pm 93.538
13 6:41 am ↑ 7:13 pm ↑ 12:31:42 −2:37 5:08 am 8:45 pm 5:41 am 8:12 pm 6:14 am 7:40 pm 12:57 pm 93.514
14 6:42 am ↑ 7:11 pm ↑ 12:29:04 −2:37 5:09 am 8:43 pm 5:42 am 8:10 pm 6:15 am 7:38 pm 12:57 pm 93.48
Sunrise and sunset times in Estes Park, September 2020

predicted high/low Fo mid 60s - low 40s

history high/low F o high 60s - low 70s - low 30s - 40s

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/estes-park-co/80517/september-weather/332231

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
. . . Get the Audi, it is a long drive between Kansas and The Rockies, but you can lay it out on the interstate and fly, and enjoy some curves in the mountains. I would not worry about needing ground clearance or 4WD unless you were going back country camoing, otherwise everything is paved. . . . .
when considering the purchase of the Audi A 5 ( our first two seater impractical vehicle ) salesman asked

" how fast I drove "

model we purchased " A " rated at 140mph 220 - horse power, 2.0 -liter V-4 engine

next level up " S " rated at 150 mph 333-horsepower, 3.0-liter V-6 engine

next level up " RS " rated at 160mph 450-horsepower V-8 engine

all turbocharged

I laughed and asked where we could drive legally in the US at such speeds on the public roads

we went with the basic 220-hp, 2.0-liter

we live at roughly 950 feet above sea level:

QuoteQuote:
Rocky Mountain National Park is one of the highest national parks in the nation, with elevations from 7,860 feet to 14,259 feet. Sixty mountain peaks over 12,000 feet high result in world-renowned scenery. The Continental Divide runs north - south through the park, and marks a climatic division. Ancient glaciers carved the topography into an amazing range of ecological zones. What you see within short distances at Rocky is similar to the wider landscape changes seen on a drive from Denver to northern Alaska.
Natural Features & Ecosystems - Rocky Mountain National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-10-2020 at 03:50 AM.
08-22-2020, 05:06 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Originally posted by DWS1 in another thread
QuoteQuote:
. . . A bit off topic but related if I may. I would suggest getting a copy of the book "Photographing Rocky Mountain National Park" by Erik Stensland. It's written by a local photographer that been hiking and photographing Rocky Mountain National Park for 20+ years. I found it to be amazing and very helpful in planning what and where to shoot. One of the best photography guides I've ever read. You can get it on Amazon or, like I did, locally in his gallery, "Images of Rocky Mountain National Park", in downtown Estes Park. Which I highly recommend visiting. Some really amazing work. BTW, I have no connection to this at all other than that of a satisfied customer.. . . .
thanks for the referral

the book has arrived, a nice convenient size very well written,

" Landscape Photographer Guide: Photographing Rocky Mountain National Park " by Erick Stensland [ ISBN 978-0-9969626-4-3 ]

MORNING LIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY P.O. BOX 2843 ESTES PARK CO 80517 Morning Light Photography

I recommend this book to anyone heading to Estes Park and RMNP

I will be taking my newly acquired " experienced " K 1 II for sure along with the K 3 II

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-22-2020 at 05:25 AM.
08-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you been at that altitude before? Coming from near sea level outside of Boston we allow a few days in Boulder to start altitude adjusting before heading on up to Estes; otherwise my wife gets altitude sick pretty easily. Many good photo opportunities along Trail Ridge Road but don't overlook sites going south from Estes down Colorado Route 7, e.g. Lily Lake and nearby trails. Going up or down Boulder Canyon has some impressive sites but not too much space to pull over to photograph.
08-23-2020, 02:20 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sholom Quote
Have you been at that altitude before? . . .
once but years ago, more recently Yellowstone

thanks for the reminder and we are aware that the altitude change will limit activity

but we will not be doing any hikes to speak of because of that

just trips by auto and short side trips

trying to gain info on the fires going on in the area now

it's a bummer but better safe than sorry