Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2020, 03:53 AM   #1

Camera Gear for multi day hikes

Dear Pentax-Community,

as many others we discovered multi-day hikes and bikepacking during the Corona time. We did some nice trails this year and I won't stop doing it when this strange times are over (I hope everyone is doing well here!). Today I have some time to weigh all my gear and decide what to bring on the next weekend hike with a solo tent. This summer we were in Switzerland and did some day hikes with like 800 m elevation gain, a kid carrier on my back (~ 19 kg) and my K-1 with the 24-70 in the sternal strap of the carrier. This wasn't always funny as you can imagine, but I made great pictures. I guess it was the last opportunity to do this kind of hikes with the family for a couple of years, because our little boy is too heavy now and wants to walk by hinself all the time. So I took the effort. For the multi-day hikes with friends or maybe the small hikes with our boy walking (like 3 km a day and a nice family time on the camp site) I want to be more comfortable. So here are my options:

- K-1 with 24-70 (1820 g)
- K-1 with 28-105 (1450 g)
- K-3 with 21 and 50 macro (1.200 g)
- K-3 with 10-20 and 50 macro (1.520 g)
- Sirui Tripod (~ 950 g)

My scale is a little bit off, so take the weights as an orientation.

This comes together with my sleeping system and back pack which is 5.700 g without clothes and food. For family activities you could easily add 1,5 - 2 kg.

So how do you manage multi-day hikes with your (Pentax) photo gear and what whould you choose if you were me?

Greetings from Germany

Sebastian

08-28-2020, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tricky!

You might consider two more options:

K-1 with 28-105 + 50 macro (versatile + macro for flowers & creatures)
K-3 with 10-20 + 28-105 (greatest range of focal lengths)

As for the tripod, it seems like a lot of added weight and added delay in taking pictures. Resting the camera on a handy rock or backpack can enable the occasional family photo with the photographer in the shot. The high ISO abilities and image stabilizer in the camera enables shooting in dim conditions.

Have fun!
08-28-2020, 05:09 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe it would be helpful to know what you are doing with your photography

[ if you want to check the scale, compare your weight to that listed in the lens reviews ]

without more details, I only have questions -

the K 1 and K 3 have different " aspects " which might make one better than another for what your intended photography is ?

perhaps, on some trips, you may not need to haul both camera bodies ?

do you need both zooms and primes lenses ?

what " series " are these lenses " DA ", " DAL ", " D FA ", " FA ", " F ", " A ". " K " or " M " ?

I agree, do you really need a tripod for your style of photography ?
08-28-2020, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seb

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies!

Here you can see some of my pictures: 500px

Leaving the tripod at home could be an option - I use it when light goes away or at night every now and then, though. Maybe a gorilla pod?

Another option would be K-1 with the 28-105 and the Irix 15 for nightscapes and landscapes with an interesting foreground. I guess I have to try and rule something out or keep a setup that works out. On the last two day hike I brought only the 28-105 with the K-1. There is a picture of my tent from that trip on my 500px. I ended up making a pano with focus stacking because the tent was very close to where I stood. So stitching could "simulate" the ultra wide shots to a certain degree.

The lenses are D FA 24-70 F2.8, D FA 50 F2.8 Macro, D FA 28-105 F3,5-5,6, Sigma 10-20 F3.5, DA 21 Limited F3.2 (and Irix 15 F2.4). I tend to bring rather zoomes than primes to avoid waiting time for my hiking mates

Right now I am thinking about taking the K-1 with 28-105 as my minimum setup for 2 day hikes and put the 15 or the 50 macro in the bag (depending on the landscape/wildlife/vegetation) and take the K-3 with 21 and 50 for longer trips or when size is crucial (Hiking or bikepacking with our family trekking tent). As for the tripod I am not already sure. I will try to use my 50 l backpack as a tripod an will report. Fortunately it is very angulary and might just stand upright.

Thank you very much for your input!

08-28-2020, 05:44 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks for the additional info

instead of a gorillapod

Generic (Gorillapod SLR Zoom Copy) Flexible Tripod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

you might investigate one of these

moman mini tripod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/36082...last-5-years-4

please continue having fun with your photography and family
08-28-2020, 06:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a gorilla pod, the issue is that you're mostly stuck with low angle composition and it's too limiting for me to be worth carrying. It's also unstable with a zoom lens on uneven ground.

To me, your kits depending on weight restrictions make sense, I have a similar approach for bicycle tours or hikes.

Have you tried k1 with 15mm and 50 macro? When I had them, to save weight I used to hike often with the k3, da 15 or 21, and the da 40. The idea was to have a wide lens and a normal-ish, and never be in doubt which one to use But when weather resistance was a factor, I'd just get a zoom (da 16-85 back then, now it'd be the 28-105 on the k1)

Last edited by aaacb; 08-28-2020 at 06:45 AM.
08-28-2020, 08:23 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The question are you a hiker who takes photos, or a photographer who likes to hike?

I think the K-1 with the 28-105 combo is probably your best choice for most occasions.

The nice thing about a child walking on his own is that slows every hike down enough for you to take more pictures, and children see everything as new and interesting, and that can influence your picture taking and choice of subjects as well.

08-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you still feel the need of a tripod; perhaps a monopod would work, and save a little weight?
08-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If the camera feels like an extra weight when you're on a hike, you should try the Peak Design Camera Clip: Capture Camera Clip | Peak Design Official Site

I bought one this spring, and it feels like the camera doesn't add any weight to the backpack. The camera is firmly attached to the shoulder strap on the backpack, and it's easy to release for a quick snapshot.

Another option is the B-grip Camera Holster: The BH Camera Holster | b-grip

Not as compact as the Peak Design option, but I believe it is a very useful option as well.
08-28-2020, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #10

I take a strong interest in this thread. thanks for this.

Early this summer it did a 3 night trip with
K-1 with 24-70 and Iris 15mm and a Manfrotto Pixi Mini Tripod
I put way too much weight in the backpack and suffered for it. I did get some astro photos from the darkest sky I have ever visited though. The mini tripod is fine for astrophotography. I also brought some gel ND filters and did a few water fall shots.

Last week I packed lighter for a 40 mile trip, 4 nights, and a 12000ft. pass.
K-1 with 28-105 (1450 g), a Manfrotto Pixi Mini Tripod and an Iphone camera.
<40 pounds backpack weight including enough food for a sixth day. 1 lb. bivy instead of tent and an ultralight backpack and sleeping bag made by GoLite. You can go through REI web page on packing light to get some ideas.
I haven't yet processed my K-1 photos, but I am very happy with the shots I got from my cell phone camera. I used the tripod to get a few pixel shift photos. I am a big fan of resolution. I also shot some composite panarams with the 28-105, because the expansive views from the top can be captured in 28mm.

I like Deus Ursus sugestions, since my K-1 was not handy I took more cell phone pictures than I would have if the K-1 was in easy reach.
08-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

although I no longer hike I did learn some interesting things about choosing a back pack:

I first look for features that makes the pack useful for carrying any type of load such as

(1) hip strap: The majority of a backpack's weight, 80 percent or more, should be supported by your hips.;

(2) Load Lifter Straps: These are stitched into the top of the shoulder straps, and they connect to the top of the pack frame. Ideally, they will form a 45° angle between your shoulder straps and the pack. Kept snug (but not too tight), they prevent the upper portion of a pack from pulling away from your body, which would cause the pack to sag on your lumbar region and

(3) Sternum Strap: This mid-chest strap allows you to connect your shoulder straps, which can boost your stability. It can be useful to do so when traveling on uneven cross-country terrain where an awkward move could cause your pack to shift abruptly and throw you off-balance.

then I look for special features for the expected use of the back pack: the loop and hook dividers so you can personalize the interior as you choose, multiple external attachment points and pockets, a " rain " cover and a separate padded section for a lap top or something else
08-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #12
Seb

Original Poster
Wow, lots of responses. Nice!

@asylfox: The cheaper gorilla pod like tripods are very interesting! I started to do some research what is available in Germany. I am able to borrow a Gorilla pod from a friend to try it. So maybe I buy something like this later.

@aaacd: This is an interesting option! Isn't the gap too big between those two focal length? You are right, we haven't discussed WR yet. I habe a nice 31 Limited which I baby since I have it. In my experience it can get rough when the weather isn't on your side or you hit a rock accidentially. The K-1 with the 28-105 and with the 24-70 even more feels undestructible.

@robgski: I like both but when I think about it I am more a photographer who likes to hike. And the 28-105 is a great basic lens. That is my conclusion too. Yes, even with the child on my back we took a break every now and then to eat and play a little bit.

@csa: I bought some hiking sticks with a screw on one of them. I never used it so far to be honest. Maybe I should give it a try.

@deus ursus: Funny, I just bought this today in a cheaper version after I did some further research on the internet. My plan is to have the cam attached to this clip and have a lens case on the other shoulder strap or somewhere else on my backpack. I try to find something like a plastic bag with a rubber band to put it around the cam when the rain gets too heavy.

Thanks @all. We are geting there

---------- Post added 08-28-20 at 10:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by weverka Quote
I take a strong interest in this thread. thanks for this.

Early this summer it did a 3 night trip with
K-1 with 24-70 and Iris 15mm and a Manfrotto Pixi Mini Tripod
I put way too much weight in the backpack and suffered for it. I did get some astro photos from the darkest sky I have ever visited though. The mini tripod is fine for astrophotography. I also brought some gel ND filters and did a few water fall shots.

Last week I packed lighter for a 40 mile trip, 4 nights, and a 12000ft. pass.
K-1 with 28-105 (1450 g), a Manfrotto Pixi Mini Tripod and an Iphone camera.
<40 pounds backpack weight including enough food for a sixth day. 1 lb. bivy instead of tent and an ultralight backpack and sleeping bag made by GoLite. You can go through REI web page on packing light to get some ideas.
I haven't yet processed my K-1 photos, but I am very happy with the shots I got from my cell phone camera. I used the tripod to get a few pixel shift photos. I am a big fan of resolution. I also shot some composite panarams with the 28-105, because the expansive views from the top can be captured in 28mm.

I like Deus Ursus sugestions, since my K-1 was not handy I took more cell phone pictures than I would have if the K-1 was in easy reach.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Did you miss your Irix 15 mm or did the panos with 28 mm do the trick? Buying lighter outdoor gear can be a solution too. Right now I habe a rather heavy but sturdy Nordisk 1 p tent which I love so far but the sleeping bag and mat can be some hundred gramms lighter depending on the weather conditions. But cheap and sturdy means expensive most of the times...

Last edited by Seb; 08-28-2020 at 11:24 AM.
08-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #13
Seb

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
although I no longer hike I did learn some interesting things about choosing a back pack:

I first look for features that makes the pack useful for carrying any type of load such as

(1) hip strap: The majority of a backpack's weight, 80 percent or more, should be supported by your hips.;

(2) Load Lifter Straps: These are stitched into the top of the shoulder straps, and they connect to the top of the pack frame. Ideally, they will form a 45° angle between your shoulder straps and the pack. Kept snug (but not too tight), they prevent the upper portion of a pack from pulling away from your body, which would cause the pack to sag on your lumbar region and

(3) Sternum Strap: This mid-chest strap allows you to connect your shoulder straps, which can boost your stability. It can be useful to do so when traveling on uneven cross-country terrain where an awkward move could cause your pack to shift abruptly and throw you off-balance.

then I look for special features for the expected use of the back pack: the loop and hook dividers so you can personalize the interior as you choose, multiple external attachment points and pockets, a " rain " cover and a separate padded section for a lap top or something else
That is a great summary how to choose and adjust your backpack. Thank you! I bought a EXPED Thunder 50 and I like it a lot. I hope there won't be too much disbalance when I clip the cam on one shoulder strap.
08-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Seb Quote
That is a great summary how to choose and adjust your backpack. Thank you! I bought a EXPED Thunder 50 and I like it a lot. I hope there won't be too much disbalance when I clip the cam on one shoulder strap.
not my original thoughts, just descriptions of various helpful straps on a good back pack
08-28-2020, 11:10 AM   #15
Seb

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
not my original thoughts, just descriptions of various helpful straps on a good back pack
But you metioned them right in the same order most manufacturers suggest to adjust the back pack after putting it on. ;-) Okay, the shoulder straps should be somewhere in between

Last edited by Seb; 08-28-2020 at 11:22 AM.