Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2021, 02:42 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
. . . I have never shot at a baseball game, actually thinking on it, I've not gone to many...so take my post with a large grain of salt.

al
with the new safety features of nets down the lines, in some parks extending down to the foul/fair pole, you will either have to use a choice of aperture to make the nets " disappear " or accept it

I have been successful in the past photographing through the safety screens and making them " disappear " but I don't know about the new screens

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-30-2021 at 02:55 PM.
06-03-2021, 09:33 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you go to Lumen Field in Seattle to watch the Seahawks, you are not allowed to bring in any kind of bag including purses. Only small wallets are allowed or clear bags where security can see all the contents. (They sell these "approved" clear bags at the stadium)

I gave up trying to bring any kind of camera gear into any stadium.

Phil.
06-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
If you go to Lumen Field in Seattle to watch the Seahawks, you are not allowed to bring in any kind of bag including purses. Only small wallets are allowed or clear bags where security can see all the contents. (They sell these "approved" clear bags at the stadium)

I gave up trying to bring any kind of camera gear into any stadium.

Phil.
the clear plastic bag requirement has been in place, at least for some MLB stadiums, for several seasons

I have several they are available from many sources

no problem with them at all

and they help protect equipment from liquids which might be spilled
06-11-2021, 07:38 AM   #19

That wording is pretty standard for all MLB fields. I take my camera to the A’s game all the time and I’ve never had a problem. Even with the 55-300 it’s under the length restriction unless I’m zooming in and no security person has ever asked me to show it when we’ve been checked at the entrance. Sometimes I take a second lens but usually just stick with one. If you take a bunch of lenses that may draw more attention.

06-12-2021, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by santinowuzhere Quote
I'm pretty sure the league (MLB) just wants to prevent unauthorized recordings from being made, reproduced, and sold. They own the rights to the telecasts, and recording the game (beyond small personal clips) would probably violate some sort of copyright infringement laws.
I agree. The MLB constantly states this during broadcasts.

As to the rest, if you haven't gotten tickets yet, plan for a good location to sit. It's better to have no one in front of you, so if you can't be in the front row, sit over one of the tunnels, this way, you might also get a railing to help support your lens. Otherwise, having no one behind you means no one will get mad when you stand up to taka shot.
Take a look at sports websites and think of where you might want to sit to get some good action shots.
Sports photography really requires that one is always watching everywhere, and anticipating the moment to be ready for it. Don't forget to use Medium or High burst shutter. I look forward to seeing your photos.
06-12-2021, 04:13 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
. . . As to the rest, if you haven't gotten tickets yet, plan for a good location to sit. It's better to have no one in front of you, so if you can't be in the front row, sit over one of the tunnels, this way, you might also get a railing to help support your lens. Otherwise, having no one behind you means no one will get mad when you stand up to taka shot.
Take a look at sports websites and think of where you might want to sit to get some good action shots.
Sports photography really requires that one is always watching everywhere, and anticipating the moment to be ready for it. Don't forget to use Medium or High burst shutter. I look forward to seeing your photos.
seats are purchased, no real choice in the location

very good advice

never stand up

a seat on the aisle I have found to be ideal

shoot from your seat

talk to those around you about what you are doing and make sure they stay happy with what you are doing

anticipate the action

pre-focus on what your target is

some examples from prior experiences at ball games:

an attempted steal of second ( look close for blurred image of the ball at the runner's back ) - Biaz vs. ???

a pick off attempt ( look at the mitt to see the ball ) Rizzo vs. Fowler

the play at first Heyward vs ???

remember that if you don't try, you won't get the photo

be prepared to accept failures but hope to succeed

more of my efforts on this theme can be found here:

PentaxForums.com → Photography → Photographic Technique → Sports photography - single images

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/275291-sports-...ml#post4178869

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/275291-sports-...ml#post4649975
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-12-2021 at 09:41 AM.
07-17-2021, 06:35 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Had no problem brining the K 3 III and the HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW into Chase Field last night

only problem using it was the usual people moving in front of the lens as I was ready for the perfect photo and I had to lean around to avoid some heads as well

made friends all around and they kept wanted to know if I " got the shot " and were impressed by what I could show them on the back of the camera. I told them how to access my flickr.com account where I will be posting photos after we return home next week

[ the Cubs first base coach was a problem at times and I did what I could with the netting, never did get the speed right to " freeze " the baseball ]

I was in clear view of an attendant all night and no problem even when I obviously move from my original seat to a clearer view on the aisle a few rows closer

[ other photos posted in various threads of the forums, despite what exif says no converter used ??? ]

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-17-2021 at 06:41 AM.
07-19-2021, 08:47 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Any one who wants more information about my experiences at Chase Field

Please send me a PM