Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2021, 04:48 PM   #1

Workshops

Hello:

What’s the best method for finding good photography workshops that are affordable with good teaching in your area?

Tks!!

Cdt

06-15-2021, 05:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography workshops come in a lot flavors:

Local camera clubs
Local library or university
Local 'pros' who do some workshops on the side
Nationally known 'pros' who do workshops all over and might happen to be in your area

Which type you look at will depend on where to learn about them. Search Facebook for local stuff. They should be local Facebook groups for photographers. Get on the mailing list of any 'pros' that you respect and do workshops in case they do one in your area. You also need to think about budget. A workshop can be $100 or $7,000.

I took a day trip / class with a local pro once. Cannot say I got a lot from his instruction but he knew where to go and when to be there to get nice shots so it was worth it for the 'guide' value

I took a week long session in Las Vegas with several days in the desert and one day of portrait instruction. I did not get as much from it as I thought I would as the instructors were a little casual and having a nice vacation on their student's dime but I did learn some things and got some nice shots.

I took a week long trip with Tim Grey in 2017 to the Palouse area of eastern Washington. Had the time of my life, took great images, learned a bunch. Would go with Tim again no questions asked.
06-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #3
Forum Member

Good is typically not cheap. However, the right mentor isn’t always found in the usual places. I often find I need inspiration more than I need instruction.
06-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Its Y I shoot Pentax Quote
I often find I need inspiration more than I need instruction.
+1 on that. Especially since most mentors / class leaders are going to be using different equipment. But being out in a dedicated tour or workshop makes you focus on photography.

06-16-2021, 06:54 PM   #5
ctt

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Photography workshops come in a lot flavors:

Local camera clubs
Local library or university
Local 'pros' who do some workshops on the side
Nationally known 'pros' who do workshops all over and might happen to be in your area

Which type you look at will depend on where to learn about them. Search Facebook for local stuff. They should be local Facebook groups for photographers. Get on the mailing list of any 'pros' that you respect and do workshops in case they do one in your area. You also need to think about budget. A workshop can be $100 or $7,000.

I took a day trip / class with a local pro once. Cannot say I got a lot from his instruction but he knew where to go and when to be there to get nice shots so it was worth it for the 'guide' value

I took a week long session in Las Vegas with several days in the desert and one day of portrait instruction. I did not get as much from it as I thought I would as the instructors were a little casual and having a nice vacation on their student's dime but I did learn some things and got some nice shots.

I took a week long trip with Tim Grey in 2017 to the Palouse area of eastern Washington. Had the time of my life, took great images, learned a bunch. Would go with Tim again no questions asked.
Thank you for the input. Is there a general photo workshop review site anyone knows of?
06-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ctt Quote
Is there a general photo workshop review site anyone knows of?
Not that I am aware of but you might take a look at some of the larger forum sites to see if they have a sub-forum for that. Maybe Fstoppers or dpreview or digital photography school.