Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trip in august… where to go?

I have time off from work in early August and cancelled plane ticket credits on Southwest since my original plans to travel to Santa Fe have been aborted.

I’m looking for places that Southwest flies to that won’t be badly impacted by the drought or heat. The challenge seems to be hotel rates. I can find tickets within budget, but hotels are pushing $500 a night many places!

Ideas I’m currently considering are Portland Maine and Boseman Montana (to stage into Yellowstone/Grand Tetons). Any thoughts are welcome. I plan to take photo gear with me.

My wife is afraid of camping in Yellowstone, she says bears! Lol. But RV might work if renting isn’t too awful.

06-22-2021, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bozeman and Portland are both fantastic options. I'll throw out the Olympic peninsula in WA as another possibility for you to consider. Olympic NP is spectacular - wild beaches with seals and eagles, alpine meadows under snow capped peaks and temperate rainforests with glacier-fed rivers (!) all within 45 min of each other. There is also a nice old lodge inside the park. Takes about 3 hr drive to get there from SeaTac if I remember right, but well worth it!!

Last edited by cooks333; 06-22-2021 at 07:55 AM.
06-22-2021, 07:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look at Trip Advisor, for the alternative spots to visit when the well know places are full, as Yellowstone will likely be. I don’t see why you couldn’t do the places in Colorado and Utah, you’re only changing to a different airport. For that matter, Denver to the Black Hills of South Dakota is only about 5 hours by car , and once you arrive at a location you can take day trip to everything worth seeing in less than 3 hours round trip and still have time to sightsee and relax.

---------- Post added 06-22-21 at 10:37 ----------

Portland Maine is another good idea, it is a small City with lots to offer, and many day trip opportunities for both seaside and mountains
06-22-2021, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One of my favorite vacations ever is Rapid City, South Dakota. There are many amazing scenic drives, including wonderful buffalo in Custer state park. The badlands are an amazing photo opportunity. If you go, book the Hotel Alex Johnson, an old, historic hotel with some real character. Love that place. Some photos in my Flickr stream:

Edit: Looks like Robgski suggested the black hills also! Rapid City is the closest city to the black hills.

06-22-2021, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
One of my favorite vacations ever is Rapid City, South Dakota. There are many amazing scenic drives, including wonderful buffalo in Custer state park. The badlands are an amazing photo opportunity. If you go, book the Hotel Alex Johnson, an old, historic hotel with some real character. Love that place. Some photos in my Flickr stream:

Edit: Looks like Robgski suggested the black hills also! Rapid City is the closest city to the black hills.
I’ve had amazing photography mornings in both the badlands and Yellowstone. Lots of wildlife, as does the Black Hills.
06-22-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wholeheartedly agree with others about the Black Hills, HOWEVER, August is motorcycle month and things cost more and it can be bedlam especially in the northern BH. Between Yellowstone and Maine I would choose Maine. It becomes less crowded the farther east you go except perhaps for Acadia. I would also agree the Pacific NW is spectacular. The Olympic Peninsula and the San Juan Islands in Washington are great. Of special note is the coast of Oregon (a crossing into north CA for the redwoods). A month there will not be long enough.
06-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It becomes less crowded further to the east because that’s the ocean 😉

06-22-2021, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
It becomes less crowded further to the east because that’s the ocean 😉
If you look at a map you will see Maine's coast curves toward the east north of Portland so call it northeast if you wish to be pedantic. If you continue far enough to smell the potine you will find a place called Eastpoint.
06-22-2021, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
At the moment I’m focused on Montana and Wyoming area. My friend in Butte Montana has offered his basement guest room to us which adds to the appeal. We may rent an rv (in place perhaps or transportable). Still working on it. All ideas are welcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
If you look at a map you will see Maine's coast curves toward the east north of Portland so call it northeast if you wish to be pedantic. If you continue far enough to smell the potine you will find a place called Eastpoint.
Potine?
06-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
At the moment I’m focused on Montana and Wyoming area. My friend in Butte Montana has offered his basement guest room to us which adds to the appeal. We may rent an rv (in place perhaps or transportable). Still working on it. All ideas are welcome.

Potine?
It is the ultimate junk food originating in Quebec. Take a deep dish of french fries, mix in fresh cheese curds, and slather brown gravy over it all. This delicacy has been exported far and wide with many variations. Watch for it wherever food trucks gather.
06-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is the ultimate junk food originating in Quebec. Take a deep dish of french fries, mix in fresh cheese curds, and slather brown gravy over it all. This delicacy has been exported far and wide with many variations. Watch for it wherever food trucks gather.
Oh you mean Poutine! Gravy covered cheese curd fries! Yes I am familiar with it having eaten it in Toronto and other parts of that area. I can't eat it now. I'm on a low glycemic index diet and lower carb as well. Potatoes and Gravy are off the diet entirely.
06-22-2021, 04:35 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Oh you mean Poutine! Gravy covered cheese curd fries! Yes I am familiar with it having eaten it in Toronto and other parts of that area. I can't eat it now. I'm on a low glycemic index diet and lower carb as well. Potatoes and Gravy are off the diet entirely.
Must be a typo, I never mispel a ward.
06-22-2021, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Must be a typo, I never mispel a ward.
Lol. Well done. Reminds me of this:

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling by Mark Twain or M. J. Shields
06-22-2021, 07:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

UncleVanya,
What do you hope to take pictures of?

Al
06-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
UncleVanya,
What do you hope to take pictures of?
I’m a generalist. I like landscapes, wildlife, people, abstracts etc. I wanted to do some Astro possibly but I have no real experience with it. I like the idea of a trip record “book” as well.