Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2022, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Orlando trip in April

We finally booked our first Disney trip and our first time to Florida for this April. Considering my wife's dislike of crowds, I'm glad we picked the busiest time of year to go..................

Anyways, we only plan to spend 3 days at the parks and the other 2 and a half days exploring via rental and possibly a boat tour. I will be bringing the 150-450, 18-135 and the 55-300plm. I will most likely bring both camera bodies as the KP should be fixed and returned by then. I really don't plan on bringing the cameras into the park and figure our phones would be good enough. I'd hate to lose or break anything if it is extremely busy and the less stuff I have to worry about will be less stress.

For anyone that has visited or lives in the area, what are some not so well known locations for wildlife pictures or must visit locations for wildlife? Birds will be at the top of our list, but gators and anything else not found in NY will be what were looking for. We will have our 8 and 5yr old with us so hiking will be limited unfortunately.

01-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
We finally booked our first Disney trip and our first time to Florida for this April. Considering my wife's dislike of crowds, I'm glad we picked the busiest time of year to go..................

Anyways, we only plan to spend 3 days at the parks and the other 2 and a half days exploring via rental and possibly a boat tour. . . .
good source for information on Disney

Disney World - The Largest Unofficial Online Guide to Walt Disney World

QuoteQuote:
EPCOT International Flower & Garden Festival
MARCH 2 - JULY 4, 2022

One of the most welcome signs of spring is EPCOT's annual International Flower & Garden Festival. While the grounds at EPCOT are always beautiful, the Flower and Garden Festival takes them to the next level and everywhere you look is bursting with colorful blooms. Take in the sights and sounds of the festival with a bouquet of spirited entertainment options that will be a bit different from years past. A plethora of Disney character topiaries, including classic-character favorites Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and many others, play a starring role each year in the festival. Belle is typically featured in the France pavilion along with Beast, you'll find Snow White in Germany with Dopey, and Anna and Elsa can be found in the Norway pavilion . . . .
https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-world/epcot/flower-garden-festival.htm

QuoteQuote:
, , , wildlife pictures or must visit locations for wildlife? Birds will be at the top of our list, . . .

last time we were in FL it was March, we were in Jacksonville and St. Augustine, photographed fort, re enactors and wildlife

did a nice boat tour in St. Augustine on the " intercoastal ":
QuoteQuote:
The waterways of northeast Florida have a much different feel than those to the south. Ports of call in northeast Florida have unique places to visit as St. Augustine, the nation's oldest continuously occupied city, first visited by Ponce de Leon in 1513.

The Intracoastal Waterway in St. Augustine offers a wide variety of opportunities for boaters. You can launch at a number of local ramps and explore myriad creeks that meander into the marshes. Here you'll find a plethora of bird life, while beneath the waters, mullet, sheepshead and redfish dart from submerged oyster bars. On calm days, head out Matanzas Inlet for a chance at bluefish, mackerel, tuna, grouper and snapper in the Atlantic Ocean. Cruising along the waterway will also afford you a unique view of the old city, including the mighty Castillo de San Marcos. . . .
Ports of Call Along Florida's Intracoastal Waterway | VISIT FLORIDA

found dolphins, pelicans, gulls and osprey

photos can be found in my flickr.com account, link is in my signature

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-07-2022 at 10:10 AM.
01-07-2022, 04:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Kennedy Space Center is about a one hour drive from Disney if that's of any interest. I was there back in May 2018 and found it to be a fun and informative place.

I see that there's even a rocket launch currently scheduled for April 15th which would be cool to see in person if it fits in with your schedule.

Fred.
01-07-2022, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote

Anyways, we only plan to spend 3 days at the parks and the other 2 and a half days exploring via rental and possibly a boat tour. I will be bringing the 150-450, 18-135 and the 55-300plm. I will most likely bring both camera bodies as the KP should be fixed and returned by then. I really don't plan on bringing the cameras into the park and figure our phones would be good enough. I'd hate to lose or break anything if it is extremely busy and the less stuff I have to worry about will be less stress.

For anyone that has visited or lives in the area, what are some not so well known locations for wildlife pictures or must visit locations for wildlife? Birds will be at the top of our list, but gators and anything else not found in NY will be what were looking for. We will have our 8 and 5yr old with us so hiking will be limited unfortunately.
We have paddled through the Wekiva Nature Reserve with a local outfitter. Amazing bird, gator and manatee opportunities. I highly recommend. It’s a couple hours north of Orlando but worth the drive.

Attached Images

Last edited by mattt; 01-07-2022 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Added some kayak pics
01-09-2022, 08:44 AM - 2 Likes   #5

Photos: Albums
Hi, I live in Melbourne Florida. If you do a google map search of the area east of Disney, past the Orlando International Airport all the way to the beach you will see several wildlife refuge's. Usually open, unless rains wash out some of the roads, you can drive or walk in them. Some have bird watching platforms. The Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands is a small area where I've taken numerous photos of gators and birds. Also if you go to Titusville FL you can drive out to Playalinda beach, which comes within about a mile of launch complex 39B where the Space Shuttle was launched. There may even be a launch while you are here (SpaceX). They close the beach access when there is a launch for safety, but on the way to the beach is the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge where there are a lot of birds, gators and snakes... There are airboat rides on Highway 50 (Orlando to Titusville) and SR 520 towards Cocoa FL as well... I grew up in Titusville FL and should point out that coming from New York you should be prepared for a different level of sophistication, but the areas are relatively safe and friendly... There are no mask requirements here, which is why we have a significantly high level of Covid right now, but hopefully April will be better... Using the 450mm for a launch should get you some decent keepers. I use my 300mm for the gators too, as there is no 'Lifeguard' on duty in the refuge's... Have fun...
01-11-2022, 08:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will have to check into the shuttle launch as that would be really interesting to see and get some photos of. We do plan on doing an airboat ride and are currently just looking at the options available. I am trying to stick with a 2 hour airboat ride so that way the kids won't get too antsy sitting around for too long.