Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2022, 04:42 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I loved that movie the 1959 one

The Ransom of Red Chief (TV Movie 1959) - IMDb

don't use the K 1 II and it's full frame sensor ?

and the 150-450mm telephoto ???
Well… sure. But my thinking is that you are traveling and as you say you won’t have a car. So if the k-1ii goes let’s assume the k3iii is the other camera:

HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR
SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited ( MIJ )
SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM 58F
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450 mm F 4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

This is what I would select. There’s no macro and no ultrawide. Add the 10-20 or 15 depending on if sunstars and flare are more important than wide. 31 goes on k1-II when wildlife is near. 150-450 on the k3iii. If wide scenery is too wide for the 31 switch to the 16-85 onto the k3ii and pop the 70-200 on the k-1ii. You can cover almost anything with both camera and you can go lighter or heavier.

02-13-2022, 11:01 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Post Alley's gum wall, the Public Market and the Space Needle are popular Seattle attractions. But that area of Seattle is getting all spray painted up and looking really bad with tags being painted over other tags for the thousandth time. But I guess that's how the people who run Seattle like it.

Post Alley, Seattle
by tuco, on Flickr

Seattle Under A Full Moon
by tuco, on Flickr

Seattle Center, Center House
by tuco, on Flickr

Snoqualami Falls is about 30 miles from Seattle. You would be seeing it from the other side of the river in this shot. You have to hike to the spot this is taken from.

Hike To Snoqualami Falls
by tuco, on Flickr

The Edmonds Ferry can take you over to Port Angles where you can drive to the top of Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park.

Edmonds/Kingston Ferry
by tuco, on Flickr

Last edited by tuco; 02-14-2022 at 10:17 AM.
02-16-2022, 05:28 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
updated " plan "

right now, it looks like we will be flying to Seattle, after a day or two taking a ferry from there to Victoria B C, after a day or two back to Seattle then ferry to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island for a day or two then back to Seattle and then after a couple of days heading home

doing whale/wildlife tours out of Victoria and Friday Harbor and other " stuff "

no actual plans for the time we are in Seattle

we have the tour in San Juan picked out

still trying to pick one in Victoria

any thoughts ?
02-16-2022, 06:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
no actual plans for the time we are in Seattle
I can second the recommendation for riding a ferry as a walk on from Seattle, just as a nice ride. The Bainbridge ferry is good. You get good skyline/spaceneedle/ferriswheel shots from the ferry.
Gasworks park, Discovery park, the Fremont troll, the Ballard salmon locks, Alki Beach, and Golden Gardens beach are all cool offbeat tourist destinations. I'm sure you know about Pike Place Market or the Space Needle.
Ivar's Salmon House and Ray's Boathouse are nice restaurants. Both have upscale menus but also more mid-tier sections, and both have waterfront seating. There is also a nice restaurant in/off of the market with nice waterview seating as well, Maximillien. It's a little hard to find. That market is kind of a labyrinth. If you like tea, check out MarketSpice, which is on the way to that restaurant.
On the lower end for dining, be sure to get a Dick's cheeseburger, fish'n'chips with a cup of chowder at Ivar's (one of the fast food ones, not the fancy ones), and/or some terriyaki from any of the little local terriyaki places. International district has lots of cool Asian food, and the big asian grocery Uwajimaya is neat.
The Boeing Museum is, I think, the best museum to see, but kind of out of the way. For my money the EMP(or whatever it's called now) and Seattle Art Museum are both kind of 'meh.'

Seattle has changed a lot since I lived there (moved out there in '07, went back to Ohio in '13, IIRC). Share some shots of the homeless camps for me.

02-16-2022, 06:21 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
. . . Ivar's Salmon House and Ray's Boathouse are nice restaurants. Both have upscale menus but also more mid-tier sections, and both have waterfront seating. There is also a nice restaurant in/off of the market with nice waterview seating as well, Maximillien. It's a little hard to find. That market is kind of a labyrinth. If you like tea, check out MarketSpice, which is on the way to that restaurant.
On the lower end for dining, be sure to get a Dick's cheeseburger, fish'n'chips with a cup of chowder at Ivar's (one of the fast food ones, not the fancy ones), and/or some terriyaki from any of the little local terriyaki places. International district has lots of cool Asian food, . . .
thanks

my wife and I enjoy eating " where the locals in the know " eat instead of the " usual tourist traps "

so please folks keep the advice coming

and since we both grew up in the midwest and are now living in Kansas -

good seafood will definitely be on the top of our dining desires

Asian might be a little too spicy for Judy tho
02-16-2022, 06:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Asian might be a little too spicy for Judy tho
Seattle terriyaki might still suit her just fine: a pile of grilled chicken in sugary sauce, two icecream scoops of white rice, and a crummy side salad.
I miss it so...
02-16-2022, 01:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so please folks keep the advice coming
Many great advises already above. Couple of restaurants with nice views not mentioned are Saltys at Alki Beach and Calcutta Grill at Golf Club at Newcastle. Stroll along the Alki Beach is great on a warm evening or game of mini golf is fun after dinner at the golf club If your wife likes nature better than city, there is a day tour to the Mt Rainier National Park.

02-27-2022, 06:19 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
current tentative plans

ferry trips from Seattle [ and back ]: Bainbridge Island, Friday Harbor on San Juan Island and Victoria BC

afternoon sailboat off of Bainbridge island

wildlife/whale tours from Friday Harbor on San Juan Island - " extended wildlife/whale " tour and shorter Victoria BC " sunset " and " half day " wildlife/whale tours

Lots of time on the water for a couple who grew up in Illinois, Iowa and now live in Kansas

Pike Place Market food tour in Seattle

mid-morning tour of Blondell Reserve on Bainbridge island

van trip to Mt. Rainier National Park

cancellation options available if necessary

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-28-2022 at 05:17 AM.
05-21-2022, 05:48 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
time for me to make last minute decisions

and time for any other suggestions

trip is a go and starts soon
05-21-2022, 03:09 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We were there in fall 2018 I think. My wife was trapped in a conference, I walked around. I am terrible with heights so instead of going in the Space Needle we went here:

https://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/

Which is pretty well set up for taking photos. We were able to take the monorail from a stop near our hotel.
05-21-2022, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have only been in Seattle briefly, before and after boarding the Ovation of the Seas cruise ship, on which my daughter was working at the time (and is again at the moment!). In fact, it is the only city in ConUSA I have experienced. It's a nice town - at least around the Queen Anne area where we stayed the night.

We had a most memorable meal at Toulouse Petit Kitchen & Lounge. If you like quality cajun/creole food served with cheer in a vibrant atmosphere, you'll love it.

If you really want to spoil yourself, jump on the Ovation for a cruise up the Inside Passage to Alaska. The coastline is spectacular, and we enjoyed our port days in Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. Keep an eye out for the tall blonde, who hosts the cabaret show in Café 270 at the stern of the ship
05-27-2022, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Decision time has arrived

thoughts and comments welcomed

K 3 III and K 3 II

primes

SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited

SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro non wr

zooms

HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

HD Pentax-D FA 150-450 mm F 4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter
05-27-2022, 09:24 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's been about 6 years since I went to San Juan Island but I remember having a very lovely time wandering the Sculpture Park. Home - San Juan Islands Sculpture Park
I took my DA 15mm and got some nice shots, such as:

The 16mm end of your 16-85 zoom would be fine for this. And it can be a pretty quick visit, so you would not need to spend more than an hour there.

Also spent a little time at the Pelindaba Lavendar Farm: https://www.pelindabalavender.com/visiting-the-farm-a/278.htm

Have a wonderful trip!

---------- Post added 05-27-22 at 12:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
We were there in fall 2018 I think. My wife was trapped in a conference, I walked around. I am terrible with heights so instead of going in the Space Needle we went here:

https://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/
I second this! It's a really beautiful place.

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 05-27-2022 at 02:10 PM.
05-27-2022, 09:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

K 3 III and K 3 IIprimesSMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL LimitedSMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 LimitedSMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 LimitedSMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro non wrzoomsHD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WRHD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR REHD Pentax-D FA 150-450 mm F 4.5-5.6 ED DC AWHD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter
Hard to imagine you will miss much with that kit.
Have a great trip!
05-27-2022, 09:50 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Hard to imagine you will miss much with that kit.
Have a great trip!
thanks

my wife has allowed me get good gear

my tasks:

get it as cheap as possible

and I have to carry it

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-27-2022 at 10:12 AM.