Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2022, 06:04 PM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thinking about a father/son trip to Scotland in 2023 any thoughts or suggestions

my son, Rowan [ who was born in 1994 ] and I are being treated by our spouses to a possible trip to Scotland next year

they will be going on a cruise and we are not invited

any thoughts or suggestions on what to do if we go?

considering strongly trying to attend The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo being held 4 - 26 August 2023

The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

has anyone been ?

on my mother's side we are related to the Clan MacQuarrie so may want to visit the island of Ulva in the Scottish Inner Hebrides,

no other plans yet

08-27-2022, 06:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like a lovely time.
08-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have been to Scotland, one of my few international travel experiences. I went with my family, the summer after I graduated highschool.

We did see the tattoo, and even though I do not typically enjoy military related entertainment, I enjoyed that quite a bit. I can recommend it, for sure.

Another recommendation is the Falkirk Wheel. Very cool.

There is plenty of beautiful scenery in the countryside, which I remember fondly as well. We also visited some castles and other historic architecture. And visited and toured a distillery, which was fascinating.

Another memory is of going to a highland games event at a Clan Mackenzie reunion (Mackenzie being my name), which was another good choice.

It's definitely a good country to do some tourism. I hope (if you do end up going) you have a wonderful time.
08-28-2022, 12:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Didn't manage the Tattoo, but Edinburgh Zoo is well worth a visit whilst you're there, if you like that sort of thing … it's on a hill, so the perspective in many of the enclosures can be "different" to most zoos.
After that, the countryside is spectacular, from Loch Lomond to Glen Coe to Ben Nevis and Loch Ness … and you're still only halfway up the country!
From Gretna Green in the south to John o' Groats in the north, you could tour for a fortnight and only see a fraction of the attractions.
Enjoy

08-28-2022, 01:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
may want to visit the island of Ulva
It would be easy to spend weeks in the Inner Hebrides and feel like you've only explored a fraction. Plus there's no shortage of photogenic scenery. If you like whisky then Islay is worth a visit
I'm biased (family ties) but think Glasgow is easily the architectural match of Edinburgh.
If you're into archaeology/history then it's hard to beat Orkney. From the wrecks in Scapa Flow to standing stones and ancient burial mounds.
If you're driving then the NC500 is a great route to explore the north of the country (disclaimer: I live just off this route).
Maybe the thing to do is follow personal interests like family and see where it takes you?
08-28-2022, 02:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Following with interest, as Scotland is on my short list for our next Big Trip
08-28-2022, 04:17 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Following with interest, as Scotland is on my short list for our next Big Trip
possible copy cat huh

thanks for all the responses, please keep them coming

usually my interests run to wildlife photography possibility but most likely not this trip

so history and SMW [ Single Malt Whisky ] interests may be key

not sure what Rowan might be interested in

interested in options about how to get around Scotland

Rail

bus

car rental, yes I know they drive on the other side of the road

parking fees in cities

insurance

Scotland [ land area 30,090 square miles 77,900 square km ] South Carolina is a close match [ 40th largest US state: 32,020.49 square miles 82,933 square km ] and I live in Kansas [ 15th largest US state: 82,278.36 square miles, 213,100 square km ]

we have no family in Scotland, the Mac Quarries [ We spell it " Mc Crory " ] are all long gone as far as I know and Ulva is basically uninhabited from what I can tell from the web

ISLE OF ULVA
A Community Owned Island https://www.ulva.scot/

https://www.southernhebrides.com/isles-of-ulva-and-gometra/

it is considered part of the Scottish Highlands

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-28-2022 at 05:21 AM.
08-28-2022, 05:01 AM   #8

I lived in Glasgow and Edinburgh a few years ago. I’ve not attended the Tattoo because it’s not my cup of tea, but I highly recommend going up Arthur’s Seat in the early hours of the morning. Also go to Glasgow and go through the West End and up the Necropolis.
08-28-2022, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Scotland is a great place to visit!
I've been there twice on extended motorbike rides and will go again next May.

Mind you my main interest is enjoying landscapes, twisty roads and Whisky tasting (without the motorbike)!

As means of transportation I would take a rental car.
Outside of the few large cities traffic is very low and driving "on the wrong side" is not difficult, at least for me.
Drivers in Scotland are typically quite polite, but keep in mind that many roads through beautiful landscapes are "single track roads" with occasional passing places. Make sure to stop to let oncomming traffic pass ...

If you look for history you should not miss Edinburgh! The castle and the famous streets north of it (Princess Street and George Street) are well worth a visit.
I think Edinburgh is also a good starting point as several interesting locations are easy to reach from there (for example the spectacular Dunnotar Castle - you don't want to miss that).
If you and/or your son are interested in golfing: The home of Golf, the Old Course in St. Andrews is also quite close! Some friends of mine were playing the Old Course and found it an unforgettable experience.

From Edingurgh a ride through the Cairngorms National Park to the Speyside is very nice. Plenty of distilleries in the Speyside, offering tastings and tours.
And if you are a fan of the movie "local hero" out might want to visit the small village of Pennan ...

I am not a big fan of Loch Ness. Too much focussed on Tourists for my taste. I much prefer Loch Lomond (Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park justify a dedicated trip to Scotland alone).

One of the most beautiful rides is the "Road to the Isles" from Fort William to Mallaigh. You might also consider to take the Jacobite Steam Train for this ride. Now known as "Harry Potter Train" as it is passing across the famous Glennfinnan viaduct.

You don't want to miss Eilean Donan Castle and from there it's just a few miles to the Isle of Skye with the famous "Old man of Storr".

Well, there are many more nice places ...

Feel free to send me a PM if you want some recommendations which distillery might be worth to visit or places to stay.

But to be honest, it is next to impossible not to enjoy Scotland!
08-28-2022, 06:58 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See the camera obscura in edinburgh castle. Take a trip to the Highlands. Overnight on the Isle of Skye if time permits. City to city or local trips, take train or bus. Only rent a car for out of the way trips where a bus or train won’t take you in a timely manner.
08-28-2022, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I grew up on Loch Lomondside so I am biased in prefering the "Wild West" to the "Far East" that is Edinburgh and the east coast. I would recommend reading Raw Spirit by Iain Banks as part of your research.
08-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
If you and/or your son are interested in golfing: The home of Golf, the Old Course in St. Andrews is also quite close! Some friends of mine were playing the Old Course and found it an unforgettable experience.
We went to Saint Andrews on my trip. Despite not giving a fig about golf, it was a very cool place. There's the ruins of a huge cathedral, and a very nice botanical garden, (and probably more) in addition to the golf courses.
08-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
options about how to get around Scotland
Trains between cities are fairly good, but for the Highlands and Islands you're stymied. Cars and ferries are the easiest with only Skye (and Seil) having a bridge. As volley mentioned
, more remote areas are single track roads with passing places, some of them taking rather baroque routes to avoid mountains and bogs.
Parking can be pricey in Glasgow, but north of Perth is generally free (aside from Aberdeen and Inverness).

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
if you are a fan of the movie "local hero" out might want to visit the small village of Pennan
I'd recommend nipping along to nearby Crovie as well - a village that feels like time forgot. There is no main street, so residents have to use barrows to get shopping back home.
08-31-2022, 10:23 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the trip is on

" if the creek don't rise "

will be attending the Royal Edinburgh MilitaryTattoo [ The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo ]

will try to get tickets tomorrow

other details pending

[ my two younger brothers have kilts and outfits, my wife wants me to consider getting, nice idea but not sure it is worth the cost since I have no idea when I would wear it from our mother we claim membership in Clan MacQuarrie - http://www.clanmacquarrie.org/ ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-31-2022 at 10:34 AM.
09-01-2022, 07:35 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

One thing to watch out for is that finding accommodation in Edinburgh during August can be very difficult and expensive. The Edinburgh Festival and Fringe Festival are on then creating very high demand. You will probably need to book now to stand any chance of getting somewhere in Edinburgh or you may need to look at basing yourselves in another town or city ( Stirling, Dundee, Perth or Glasgow ) and travelling in for the event.