Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2023, 08:02 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
March 9-18 or so. Will fly to SFO and from LAX, so all one way stuff. I have tons of time to do what is essentially a one way drive.

I have been to the Monterey Aquarium, so no rerun needed there. Prefer outside stuff anyway. Did the Marin Headlands but happy to do so (amd similar) again. Can hike a few miles as needed.

Only "must do" is the Anderson Pea Soup place in Buellton because, well, pea soup. The Santa Nella one out of the way, maybe.

Not ruling out a complete left turn and going east to Tehachapi because why not.

This will be a very fluid trip, other than the SFO/LAX part.
Perfect dates for calla lillies. PM me if you like for the low down on that.

Anderson's Pea Soup, haha, those billboards are ubiquitous.

01-27-2023, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Perfect dates for calla lillies. PM me if you like for the low down on that.
Will do.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Anderson's Pea Soup, haha, those billboards are ubiquitous.
Splitting Peas for Split Pea Soup!
01-27-2023, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I may have missed something, but this is a road trip, right? If you were cycling or walking I could understand the imperative for weight minimisation, but surely there will be space in the car for a couple of extra lenses.

Although the 20-40 and/or the 18-135 are worthy mainstays, I couldn't imagine travelling without the DA10-17 and DA55-300. You don't have to carry them all when you're on the hoof

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 01-27-2023 at 08:55 PM.
01-27-2023, 08:57 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I may have missed something, but this is a road trip, right? If you were cycling, or walking I could understand the imperative for weight minimisation, but surely there will be space in the car for a couple of extra lenses.

Although the 20-40 and/or the 18-135 are worthy mainstays, I couldn't imagine travelling without the DA10-17 and DA55-300. You don't have to carry them all when you're on the hoof

Yes, car trip, but once out of the car and hiking/walking various places, I want as few impediments as I can get. I never leave valuables in the car so I carry everything with me. Both cameras will be around my neck and their lenses will be on. Backpack with wallet/laptop/iPad gets cumbersome if I have to have an extra lens or 2, and I also have to put stuff down and root around the bag to switch lenses, so the best (and original) plan is 2 bodies 2 lenses.

01-27-2023, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thinking a bit more on this, if weight really is critical, I would rather limit myself to one body rather than ration my lens choices.

I guess it boils down to one's carrying preferences; for example, I never carry a camera around my neck. With a nice comfortable sling strap over one shoulder, a small bag with a couple of spare lenses over the other shoulder is of little consequence. The 10-17 and 55-300 are pretty light and compact. With the 20-40 on your camera you'd be sweet.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 01-27-2023 at 09:07 PM.
01-27-2023, 09:20 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thinking a bit more on this, if weight really is critical, I would rather limit myself to one body rather than ration my lens choices.

I guess it boils down to one's carrying preferences; for example, I never carry a camera around my neck. With a nice comfortable sling strap over one shoulder, a small bag with a couple of spare lenses over the other shoulder is of little consequence. The 10-17 and 55-300 are pretty light and compact. With the 20-40 on your camera you'd be sweet.

Not so much weight but cumulative parts. I do want to bring the Bee since I think there will be some very good IR opportunities on that trip. I can slap the 40XS on her and be done with it but that leaves the K-3 III and what I hope to be a very small (1-2) pieces of glass for that.
01-27-2023, 09:35 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're committed to two bodies, then investing in a double shoulder sling system might be worthwhile. With a well-configured waist belt style bag it's a very comfortable combination. I used to lump that around when I was shooting music festivals commercially - sometimes for twelve hours at a time.

01-27-2023, 09:40 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you're committed to two bodies, then investing in a double shoulder sling system might be worthwhile. With a well-configured waist belt style bag it's a very comfortable combination. I used to lump that around when I was shooting music festivals commercially - sometimes for twelve hours at a time.
I'll consider it but I'll already have a backpack with shoulder straps, having the camera straps around my neck is not a big deal to me (and one body is usually already in my hand anyway).
01-28-2023, 02:49 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
I'll consider it but I'll already have a backpack with shoulder straps, having the camera straps around my neck is not a big deal to me (and one body is usually already in my hand anyway).
Have a look at Peak Design Capture Clips to install on the shoulder straps of your back pack. Muck more comfortable than carrying cameras by their straps.
01-28-2023, 06:48 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I assume the flight out is the reason to pack light, because there is no reason not to bring extra gear that can be left in the car. Anyway, I would not go anywhere without my 20-40, it is just to capable to leave, plus it is small anyway. And definitely a long telephoto like your 55-300. I’m not sure about the macro, but I know it’s new and you want to test it out. And definitely take a tripod, a must for the times of day with the best light. I’m actually traveling right now (driving), a family visit and not a photography trip. When driving on a trip I always have a tripod in the vehicle, and I’m carrying my Thinktank Turnstyle 10 with KP, 20-40, 55-300 PLM, and 15. That’s small enough to go anywhere. If it was a vacation or photography trip I would have an additional holster bag with another KP, DA*300, and DA tc, and possible another small bag with additional lenses like the 18-135, macros, 50, etc.
01-28-2023, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I assume the flight out is the reason to pack light, because there is no reason not to bring extra gear that can be left in the car.
Yes, the flight, but also I do not leave any valuables (lenses, camera bodies) in a car (particularly a rental in a strange place) so everything will be on me as I walk around.
01-28-2023, 10:10 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd go DA 15, DA 18-135, and then something like the DA 35 f2.4 or DA 50 1.8. HD FA 35 f2 maybe but I don't own one so I can't call that out. Sigma 28 EX DG would be awesome but it's large and heavy and you already have the 18-135 to deal with. I like the idea of two bodies, the K-01 is pretty small so I think that buys its way onboard here. This would get you an ultra-wide (ish), the all-around zoom, and then something fast and sharp wide-open but still small and light.

This is one of those times where a DA 15, F 28, and DA 70 seem like a sublime trio but I don't think you have two of those. I don't either so I can only dream for the time being.
02-07-2023, 08:25 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Have a look at Peak Design Capture Clips to install on the shoulder straps of your back pack. Muck more comfortable than carrying cameras by their straps.

You sold me. Decided NOT to bring laptop, this is a vacation. My users will have to deal with it.

Will visit the SFO Peak Design Store and have them sell me one silver and one black Capture Clip and teach me how to use them. I already have this secure fanny pack for $$ and keys. I already have a variety of sizes of the OPTech bags. Otherwise my arms will be free and I won't be pulled backwards by a 24 lb backpack with 2 laptops an iPad, a wallet and spare lenses.

THANKS!!!!!

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 02-07-2023 at 10:57 PM.
02-07-2023, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That seems like an excellent solution. Let us know how it goes!
02-07-2023, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And so much for packing light otherwise. Now that I do not have the IT stuff, I decided to go ahead and bring most of the kids! 7 lbs total
The K-3 III and the 100 Macro will be in the waist pack.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 Pro Max  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 Pro Max  Photo 

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 02-07-2023 at 11:14 PM.