Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Location for 2009 Gathering (see post for details) Votes are public. You can choose 2
Maine 327.27%
Maryland's Eastern Shore 763.64%
Virginia Presidential Pass 218.18%
Other (Please post) 545.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Out of the suggested places, I'd be OK with Maryland, as my sister lives in Odenton. In that case, I would combine this, plus a visit with her. I might even get my husband to come along, as he's interested in checking out the Eastern Shore area.

Another suggestion that I would make is to move it further south, so those of us in the southeast could attend without having to shell out for a plane ticket or having to drive 2 days to get there. I would be interested in places like Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA + the outlying islands on the GA coast.

I'm wondering if it might be better to do regional get-togethers, so nobody has to come too far to participate. It would make it financially easier, as well.

As for timing, my preference would be late summer/early fall, as I've already forked out $500 for a workshop at GSMIT (Spring Photography Program at Tremont in Great Smoky Mountains National Park) and probably wouldn't be able to afford anything else until at least then. By then, the weather will start to be cooling down, as well.

Just my 2¢...
Heather

Good points...
(also applies to everyone)
This is meant to be a "east-coast" thing, various others arrange "local" get togethers, and I would look into your area and use the forum to see if you could even try for a day-trip down your way. I started this event last year with permission from Adam (site owner) under encuragment by others during a few "local" get togethers as a way for those who wanted to really have a nice fun photo vacation with fellow pentaxians, learn some new photo-related stuff but did not want to shell out tones of $$$ for a workshop.
Last year we got some great sponsorship and hope for the same again. (Crumpler alone gave everyone a bag!)
I pick the places based (so far) on those that I have been to enough that I am comfortable leading the trip to. Its a lot of planning to begin with but to top it off with the sponsors products etc it is a major undertaking. I am willing to look into more places for next year (or if we had a unified "other" place I would be willing to pre-travel, scout out and plan from there, with the assistance of someone else thats been there before too.
Last year we had folks from as far as Ohio drive to the Va. mountains, and this year hope to have more and from farther away too. I try and keep everything as low cost as i can with the most benefit thrown in which is why most places I look into are where they are. Largest cost usually is the room/travel though this year I am increasing the "fee" as everyone last year suggested I should since I bascally footed $200 on top of my own room and travel cost. And frankly I just can't afford to do that much again, on top of my time put into organizing etc.
I look into the begining part of summer because weather is usually not an issue, kids are out of school and its not yet the peak of travel. I would love to do a fall thing but most places that are "prime-color" areas charge $$$ for rooms, so most "local-chapters" do day-trips.
Next year I am doing a spring expedition to AZ to see the desert blooming, and have been looking into the Georga area for a photo trip too.
If you would like to arrange a fall gathering round your way I wouldn't mind helping, and it can become a "fall-event" for the forum
Hope all the stars can align for this year for you, and everyone else.

01-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, well so far were looking like the Eastern Shore of MD is probaly going to be the destination, though I am also still considering the rest including Ricketts Glen State Park and am talking with Mrriley about this as a viable option and may be going up to check it out as soon as it thaws.
However with that being said... I am going to start to try and get the general sponsors lined up again. Hopefully Pentax will send something, and I am also going to approach Sigma to see if they may be able to send some long glass to try out. A bag company or 2 for bags, a memory company and some others.
I plan on doing the same sort of deal, with group viewing saturday evening and providing 16x20's again of at least 1 photo per person (printed saturday night ready for sunday) And t-shirts with the sponsors and 2nd annual on them.
If we do the Eastern Shore I hope to bring the president of a birdclub that I am friends with to help us ID and find birds (he's a Nikon user, but dont hold that against him)
If anyone has any sugestions/requests please let me know. Once final place is decided, the weekend will be picked and a new Sticky-thread created for the 2nd annual.
Can't wait to make this official again. Heres to another great gathering.
01-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Due to our current financial situation (baby formula and diapers are killing our money) I would certainly welcome a trip to a somewhat closer location.

I've been wanting to visit southern NY and Ricketts Glenn/Allegheny State Park are right at the NY/PA border. The thought of staying in a farm bring back memories from back in the day, staying at friends' family farm, waking up at the butt-crack of dawn thanks to the roosters, shucking corn, feeding the goats, and getting fresh moocow-udder juice for breakfast.

So if MRRiley is offering semi-accommodations, some camp-fire cooking, and some fresh moocow-udder juice for an affordable (cheap!) price, I'm game.

On a side note - I traveled to Terceira almost 7 years ago and it was absolutely gorgeous. It was for work, so I didn't have much time to explore but I would go again in a heartbeat! Best codfish I ever had!
01-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frogroast. Unfortunately, "the farm" isn't full blown. Its really just 45 acres that we own and have a small house on. "The farm" part comes in because we lease most of the field to a local farmer for corn, barley, soy or whatever is in the rotation. So, no chickens or roosters, much less a cow. We do have a couple of cats and there is a regular population of deer and turkeys. We even have the occasional black bear wander through.

Brenden. I agree the Eastern Shore is looking best this year. Maybe we could do Ricketts Glen next year. By that time I will have scouted it more and can have other activities scoped out.

01-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well let me know when your scouting, I would like to come with you and scout too... also see how out of shape I am in
01-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Brendan... I'm thinking mid May... Will let you know as we get closer and we can coordinate a weekend.

As for the "out of shape" bit.... I won't be leaving you in the dust by any means...
01-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Eastern Shore

The entire Eastern Shore is "potogenic," from Wye Island to Assateague and Chestertown to Cambridge to Smith Island. Old farms, meandering creeks, tall ships, skipjacks, the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean are all for the viewing. It's easy to get to, and not all that expensive to stay. A good choice. ~Pam

01-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by expatfr Quote
The entire Eastern Shore is "potogenic," from Wye Island to Assateague and Chestertown to Cambridge to Smith Island. Old farms, meandering creeks, tall ships, skipjacks, the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean are all for the viewing. It's easy to get to, and not all that expensive to stay. A good choice. ~Pam
Welcome to PF Pam... Hope you'll be joining us at the gathering.

Mike
01-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Well, I'm a definite maybe all depends on dates of the event (I work on rotating shifts so my "time off" isn't typical)

Pat
02-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, so poll is closed now and I will start planning the details. Looks like it will be on Marylands Eastern Shore (see first post for details)
I will be getting a sticky soon on this and will keep everyone posted on news.
I have talked with my friend the birding expert and he should be able to attend.
Also Blackwater has a few Nesting Bald Eagles and the chicks should be of good size in late June (they usualy leave the nest in July) And June dates worked best last time.
Here is to a even bigger and better 2nd annual gathering!
02-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brendan, add me to the list - my sister (expatfr) lives in Annapolis and the 2 of us plan on joining y'all. Should be great fun. Thanks for putting this together.
02-09-2009, 01:40 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It looks like we have around 5 so far that should be coming. Good to here Chip B
I am in the planning stages right now, and will be lining up sponsors at PMA in March.
thanks
02-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #28
mel
Veteran Member

i'm a definitely hopefully maybe probably. i had a great time last year and don't want to miss it this year!
02-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I have been to the Blackwater National Refuge and it is a very nice place..... a hidden gem that I just discovered right outside of Dover, DE is Bombay Hook National Wildlife refuge . Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge| Northeast Region | U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
from what I have read it has a much more varied wildlife and fauna. Looks like a really nice place to explore in the springtime with the varied land and bird wildlife...I can't wait utill this spring for more criiters........it is like Blackwater but is more photographer friendly especially for people who depend on cars to travel and would be great to use a bike to travel around.

Last edited by Eastern Shore Charlie; 02-13-2009 at 02:49 AM.
02-13-2009, 04:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member

How the heck did I miss this thread? I had a great time last year and looking forward to this year. Eastern Shore sounds nice. Maine would have been nice also, but it is a 4-5 day deal. My wife and I spent a week there in March 05 (drove up from northern VA), and Acadia NP is wonderful. Looking forward to the Eastern Shore.