Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #31
Not Registered

Thanks Gary for taking care of this.

For those not familiar with Point Reyes here there a few snapshoots from one week ago. Independent on whether we make the meeting there or not, I strongly recommend a visit to the place, it really worth it.

Last edited by Not Registered; 02-27-2009 at 10:46 AM.
02-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I've lived in Fort Bragg for a very long time. Whales really aren't that interesting.
02-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #33

I vote Point Reyes National Seashore

I won't be around this weekend (Feb 14-15) but I can make it next weekend.
02-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Hello from Benicia

Hi Gary,
I'm a newbie, but your idea to meet is great. So we could start off with someplace simple and relatively centrally located like the Ferry Building or Jack London Square. And as things progress we could start planning the future meetings at other locations.
Also, most of the camera retailers in the area push the Canon and Nikon brands, do you know of an area retailer that focuses on the Pentax product line? If there is such a place we could see if they would be interested in participating.

particlebeam's deviantART gallery

02-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #35
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ray94553 Quote
Hi Gary,
I'm a newbie, but your idea to meet is great. So we could start off with someplace simple and relatively centrally located like the Ferry Building or Jack London Square. And as things progress we could start planning the future meetings at other locations.
Also, most of the camera retailers in the area push the Canon and Nikon brands, do you know of an area retailer that focuses on the Pentax product line? If there is such a place we could see if they would be interested in participating.

particlebeam's deviantART gallery
Hi Ray, welcome to the forum. I've had input from the other people interested and I'm just about to post and update the title post with what I've had so far. The ferry Building and Jack London Square is a good idea, we could hop on the ferry and go between the two, so I'll add it to the list as well. Hopefully if we get this meetup off the ground, there will be more and we have a list to work from.

As far as stores focusing on Pentax goes, there are two that I know of in the Bay Area;
Keeble & Schuchat and Sarbers (it's actually at the bottom of my street) but I doubt if they focus on Pentax. I don't know about K&S but Sarbers try and shove Nikon down your throat. Sarbers is also terrible from an organisation point of view as well. I refuse to deal with them.
02-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #36
Not Registered

More info about Point Reyes so people knows a little bit more about what to expect. When I went to Point Reyes I went to the lighthouse and the Chimney rock (where the elephants seals are) but it seemed like there were also some marshes on the road with plenty of birds and other places to hike. Next to the lighthouse and in all that area the hawk- turkey vulture-deer density was high (like squirrel-high on the city ) and there were also some Elks. In March they told me that the elks go close to the seal watching areas cos it is full of wildflowers. To go to the seal thingy there is a bus they have in the visitor center close to the breeding beaches. It is 5 USD per person and it goes relatively frequently. The main down part of going to the seal watching is that the sun hits hard most of the time and the pictures of the seals are not at their best (you can see it from the pics I posted). It uses to be windy so tripod use is challenging. I hope it helps to all that people who plans to go there independently of the meeting.
02-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #37
Damn Brit

Thanks for your replies to my PM. From the replies I have received, the votes are as follows;
Point Reyes 4

Fort Point & GG Park 3 ( I put them together as they are so close to each other)

Marin Headlands 3

Alcatraz 2

Point Reyes is favourite so far. On the way there is also Point Reyes Station, seems like there will be some photo ops there and good food. There was an article in the SF Chronicle 96 Hours Supplement yesterday; Highway 1, Point Reyes Station

Just so everyone knows, I'm happy to car pool, I have a Jeep so there will be room for camera bags and tripods.

There are four Saturdays in March; 7, 14, 21 and 28. Post the weekends not suitable to you (that's probably easier) and we'll work it out from there.

02-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #38
Not Registered

Thanks Gary,

So far the only weekend that I cannot make it is the one of the 28th, the rest of them I am open. Saturdays work better for me but I can also do it on sundays.
02-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #39
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Thanks Gary,

So far the only weekend that I cannot make it is the one of the 28th, the rest of them I am open. Saturdays work better for me but I can also do it on sundays.
I have to work Sundays (gotta love retail) but I can probably get a day off if people want a Sunday
02-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Any Saturday would be fine. Now there's the issue of what time of day. Before noon would be my suggestion but personally I have all day. I just find that for some folks if they get involved with something early in the day they will often times pass on events scheduled later in the day. (to tired, run out of time, distracted)
So how about the second Saturday, 9:30 AM at the Ferry Building in the city. We could attack the place with macros and mid range zooms. Nobody would know how to act with a dozen flashes poping all over the place. Assuming we have a dozen pentaxians attending.
02-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Can't shoot in the ferry building, they have very strict camera rules there.
02-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #42
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ray94553 Quote
Any Saturday would be fine. Now there's the issue of what time of day. Before noon would be my suggestion but personally I have all day. I just find that for some folks if they get involved with something early in the day they will often times pass on events scheduled later in the day. (to tired, run out of time, distracted)
So how about the second Saturday, 9:30 AM at the Ferry Building in the city. We could attack the place with macros and mid range zooms. Nobody would know how to act with a dozen flashes poping all over the place. Assuming we have a dozen pentaxians attending.
Ray we appreciate your enthusiasm but if you read the thread you will see we are being democratic and currently the favourite is Point Reyes National Seashore.
02-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #43
Forum Member

Greetings from Rohnert Park!

A meetup sounds cool! I am a student at Sonoma State and have a side hobby of photography. I usually go to Bodega bay for my own personal photo excursions. I still have to take a trip to Mendocino.

I am in Vallejo during the weekends. I see we have a user from Benicia.
02-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

There's really not that much in Mendocino, I'm from there. Lots of trees. Water too.
02-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #45
Inactive Account

OOPS, Sorry about jumping the gun. If I have a vote then of the places listed;

Point Reyes 4

Fort Point & GG Park 3

Marin Headlands 3

Alcatraz 2

I vote Fort Point & GG Park.